Baakens Valley Bikejacking - Port Elizabeth

Bennie Dikwiel

should have made more of an example of these guys...last week there was another reported incident of this kind in Willow road in Port Elizabeth but apparently these guys used mashetis(spelling?). These guys will be out on the streets in no time. But well done on catching them SAPS and Atlas

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday's incident was rather unpleasant, but the outcome was certainly satisfying, especially considering my dad was one of those attacked.

It was really comforting to see the co-operation and support of all involved. Our EC provincial XC race was scheduled to start about 15 minutes after the incident happened, so we naturally delayed the start of the race.

The SAPS, Atlas & ADT were VERY quick to spring into action, as well as a number of the riders and race assistants who jumped into their cars and drove to block off the various exit points from the Valley. Another large group of riders rode down towards the place where it had happened, I suspect this had the effect of "herding" the culprits towards the Dodds Farm exit where the cops were entering.

We've been relatively untouched by MTB bike jackings in PE, compared to Joburg and Cape Town, until now. I am aware of 3 incidents in PE in the last 2 months (2 of them within the last week though, which is a concern). At least the latest one didn't end so well for the attackers!!

The Baakens Valley is an ideal riding area for us and we will certainly not give it up to these thugs.

We've scheduled a meeting for tonight with a number of roleplayers and will be coming up with an action plan to step up security, especially in the area around the XC course.

I would like to see us MTB'ers securing a stronghold in the immediate 5 or 6 sq km around the XC course, and then gradually extending this to cover a wider and wider area of the Baakens Valley.

I'll post an update after tonights meeting for those interested.

If I had my way, I would have kept their heads under water at the Dodd's Farm dam for about 2 minutes. That would have solved this one problem instantly. But that's just me.

Yesterday's incident was rather unpleasant, but the outcome was certainly satisfying, especially considering my dad was one of those attacked.

It was really comforting to see the co-operation and support of all involved. Our EC provincial XC race was scheduled to start about 15 minutes after the incident happened, so we naturally delayed the start of the race.

The SAPS, Atlas & ADT were VERY quick to spring into action, as well as a number of the riders and race assistants who jumped into their cars and drove to block off the various exit points from the Valley. Another large group of riders rode down towards the place where it had happened, I suspect this had the effect of "herding" the culprits towards the Dodds Farm exit where the cops were entering.

We've been relatively untouched by MTB bike jackings in PE, compared to Joburg and Cape Town, until now. I am aware of 3 incidents in PE in the last 2 months (2 of them within the last week though, which is a concern). At least the latest one didn't end so well for the attackers!!

The Baakens Valley is an ideal riding area for us and we will certainly not give it up to these thugs.

We've scheduled a meeting for tonight with a number of roleplayers and will be coming up with an action plan to step up security, especially in the area around the XC course.

I would like to see us MTB'ers securing a stronghold in the immediate 5 or 6 sq km around the XC course, and then gradually extending this to cover a wider and wider area of the Baakens Valley.

I'll post an update after tonights meeting for those interested.

well done glad nobody sitting back and doing nothing. Glad your dad is well

Those thieving swines need some township justice!

Well done to the cops.

Give those guys a Bells (but only one!)

Fantastic Result for everyone - Great to see everyone getting involved.

Man would I love to kick those idiots in the head !

Excellent always nice when thieve's meet their fate. Also couple swift kicks to chest ,while mased up to confirm todays lesson .:oops:

Well done , bikes back with their owners :clap:

Brad, good to hear it all ended well. I hope that justice has been dispensed sensibly (at least a few kicks to the teeth, a broken kneecap or two), and that their zubs fall off within the next few weeks so that they can no longer propagate.

Brad, good to hear it all ended well. I hope that justice has been dispensed sensibly (at least a few kicks to the teeth, a broken kneecap or two), and that their zubs fall off within the next few weeks so that they can no longer propagate.

Just an update for those following this thread...

We had a meeting last night with interested parties about security in the Baakens Valley. We are determined to stamp this out before it becomes a trend.

So far, the score in terms of the area around the XC course is mountain bikers - 1, Bike Jackers - 0 (and we intend to keep them off the scoreboard). Unfortunately they managed to get away with 2 bikes in the area near Sunridge Park, behind Pick n Pay Hyper recently.

We urge mountain bikers to rather ride in the area on the sea side of William Moffett, where the XC course is. There are a lot of mountain bikers, trail runners and walkers already using this area and the more of us there are the safer it will be for everyone. And it stands to reason that you shouldn't ride alone.

The outcome of yesterday's meeting is an action plan backed by the support of some local businesses (e.g. ADT & Lion Roars Safaris and Lodges - support them if you can!!), the MTB community, WESSA Baakens Valley Rangers and the SAPS (including mounted police).

Good ending to a terrible story.

My only issue is the second last sentence of the article …….both are known to the police and have been arrested before.

A good beating doesn’t even make these guys flinch let alone stop them! A much harsher punishment is required, similar to Middle eastern justice.....a hand or arm taken off…..before the cops arrive! That will cure them!