Maintenance course

Beefy

A good foundation for bike maintenance is basic hand tool usage & skills.

Like Tool knowledge, the correct methods of using spanners, cutting & filing skills, general Do's and Dont's. Not too sure where to point anyone in this regard, but imho these skills are essential.

Thankfully I did three years of a Mech Technician studenship, and still use the tools I made then.

On a broader note, here is SA it's a total stuff-up in terms of industry training with the abolition of Apprenticeships. The lack of these basic skills is real scary.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a pleasure. Thanks for remembering the comma.

JB

Glad i did, that could have been quite rude!!

Course Shedules:

Repair and Maintenance Johannesburg

12 & 13 March

30 April & 1 May

29 & 30 May

25 & 26June

23& 24 July

27 & 28 August

24 & 25 September

22& 23 October

26 & 27 November

Repair and Maintenance Cape Town

14 & 15 May

12 & 13 November

Build-a-wheel Johannesburg

2 & 3 April

1 & 2 October

Fork Maintenance Workshop Johannesburg

&6 February

&15 May

&17 July

&25 September

&20 November

Fork Maintenance Workshop Cape Town

13-May

01-Nov

Where do I book?

On a broader note, here is SA it's a total stuff-up in terms of industry training with the abolition of Apprenticeships. The lack of these basic skills is real scary.

Mini hijack

What is the procedure to do a trade now? I did 3 years apprenticeship and a trade test as well as 3x 3 months technical college.

- You actually just missed a workshop: http://www.mountainbikeguru.co.za/

-- Apparently the guy is pretty good at what he does and the guys I ride with at tygerbergmtb speak highly of him

If you're interested bought myself Zinn and the art of mountain bike maintenance from exclusives, its quite intimidating at first but you start getting the hang of it, free shipping at the moment and its a new edition so its got all the info for newish moutain bikes -

- http://www.exclus1ves.co.za/books/Zinn-and-the-Art-%3C-AuthorLennard-Zinn/000000000100000000001000000000000000000000000009781934030592/

Hey Drongo, do you know any decent courses in Durban?

Careus - last time I spoke to Johan, he mentioned if we got enough guys together he would come down to Durban to do a course.

Careus - last time I spoke to Johan, he mentioned if we got enough guys together he would come down to Durban to do a course.

Heavens I'm keen!

Heavens I'm keen!

Tavis and other Durbs okes. Yes, I'm prepared to come to Durban and I've had this request many times. Unfortunately each time, just before a decision is made, surf's up and all's forgotten.

Lets firm up a date. I'm keen to come to KZN for a change.

Tavis and other Durbs okes. Yes, I'm prepared to come to Durban and I've had this request many times. Unfortunately each time, just before a decision is made, surf's up and all's forgotten.

Please put me down Johan for Durban, I'm definitely want to be there.

100% I'm in :clap: :clap: :clap:

Johan

How many guys do you need for a course. How many have committed.

Count me in

-- Apparently the guy is pretty good at what he does and the guys I ride with at tygerbergmtb speak highly of him

If you're interested bought myself Zinn and the art of mountain bike maintenance from exclusives, its quite intimidating at first but you start getting the hang of it, free shipping at the moment and its a new edition so its got all the info for newish moutain bikes -

- http://www.exclus1ves.co.za/books/Zinn-and-the-Art-%3C-AuthorLennard-Zinn/000000000100000000001000000000000000000000000009781934030592/

Also the Bicycle Repair for Dummies is actually an excellent book. Thought it would be a joke to read but its great one for the bookshelf for the DIY mechanic thats just starting out.

If I am not mistaken the "James"referred to on that website is now holding clinics down under.

:blink: