Anthem Strength

Neg

Sweet guys, thank you! Will go check the trance out! are all the trance x frames the same? weight wise? i know the sizes and angles change a bit from S-XL but there is no real difference between an X4 vs X1? the advanced SL is carbon?? so that is in another class.

Ask your future "farther" in law if you could ride it a bit farther, and then make your mind up... :P

Giant makes good bikes, and they are all pretty strong - I say this because almost all bikes have had one or two (some more) failures. For your type riding - The Trance is well worth a look at as you probably need a bit more travel, or better yet : Buy a second and third bike before the wedding...it gets more difficult to do so after.

Sweet guys, thank you! Will go check the trance out! are all the trance x frames the same? weight wise? i know the sizes and angles change a bit from S-XL but there is no real difference between an X4 vs X1? the advanced SL is carbon?? so that is in another class.

generally the dif between the x1 and x4 will be the spec I expect there could be a weight dif of at least 2.5kg due to spec

the biggest dif will be the suspension feel as an x1 has top end shock and fork, lighter and plush compared to the x4 so to be fair there is a big difference betwween the x4 and the x1

I was 104 kg on the Anthem 1 and can do all the single trak in Tokai CT there are some fair size drop offs but one should be carefull the anthem is a race bike

a guy your size should keep well clear of carbon

the other bike to look at is the spez stumpjumper very comparable to the trance at the moment you might find a good buy on these 2 due to the 29er calling

to be fair if you become a time bunny and want to start doing the odd race go anthem and keep your VT to play with

if you do go anthem consider the 29er you will be pleasantly surprised and they are excellently priced there is a guy on the hub selling an XL, which I reckon is your size, for R21000 that is a give away considering the spec if you have the moola

I agree on the Trance - I have mine built with a Revelation 120-150 front shock and it has 5" rear travel - weighs in at about 10.8 on the Carbon frame. The alloy frame is about 400g more - so a reasonable build under 12kg is attainable.

Hi All,

i currently have a Giant VT. its a very strong bike, it's designed for bigger jumps and all-mountain. the Giant Reign is in fact my bikes newer version. i bought it because i wanted a bike that could handle the rougher trails at a higher speed and i wanted to do a few lighter down hill tracks.... i now find the bike very heavy for XC and trails....

my Future farther in-law has a Giant Anthem X3 and i took it for a spin... i have rout that i follow and usually i do it in about 2hrs, on the anthem i did it in 1hr 27. so i am a sh*t load faster on the anthem..... now i NEED one!! :):)

my question is this- how strong is the anthem really?? i am 6'2" and weigh 112kg's. ( i have lead bones)... now, will the anthem handle my weight doing rough terrain,rough rock gardens, jumps and about 3feet drop offs?

would the anthem X29er be a better bet?? i dont want to spend the cash and find i land and my front wheel carries on while i munch sand!!

I think if you want a XC bike that's as tough as nails and will be able to take all the punishment you can dig out (especially considering that you weigh a bit more), try a Morewood Zula. The angles on the bike are all very race orientated, but the bike strength is much more in the trail/all mountain category. They might be more expensive than the Giant though. Just a thought.

I think if you want a XC bike that's as tough as nails and will be able to take all the punishment you can dig out (especially considering that you weigh a bit more), try a Morewood Zula. The angles on the bike are all very race orientated, but the bike strength is much more in the trail/all mountain category. They might be more expensive than the Giant though. Just a thought.

Thats a massive spanner in the works :lol:

ok... guess the compass is pointing toward the trance...... As "just keep pedaling" said, sooner or later..... :( and id rather it be never and be slower on the hills....

Noli, how did the trans X2 perform over or under the reign?

The Trance is a fantastic bike, and is lighter and easier to pedal than the Reign. If you are wanting a little confirmation of the strength of the Trance, google "Kurt Sorge Trance". There is a vid of him at whistler on a Trance X. You won't believe what he does on it.

I just had my heart set on a Reign - I prefer longer travel bikes.

Thats a massive spanner in the works :lol:

Hie hie... thought I'd broaden the horizon a bit! I bought a Zula 3 months ago and it's by far the strongest XC bike I've ever ridden. Would recommend it to any "heavier" rider who's scared of cracking a frame.

i have checked the Trans out on line and it look very strong! it will hold me no problem!! :) i just want a bike that will climb well too... i know, i would like my cake and eat it!! :):):)

but at under 12kg;s Vs my VT's 17.5KG-ish will make a huge difference!! :)

now i just need to ride one!! :)