26er Losing All Value

RexFuzzle

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

pfffft what nonsense... <_<

Its true I am afraid, look at the epic podium...all the pro's are on them. They roll over obstacles easier, have a bigger contact patch so your bike handles much better and tests by spez clealy show why you should get one. It's matter of time but soon you won't be able to give your 26'er away, I might be able to help you in that dept if it's a s-works epic, scalpel or merida 96 team edition.

From now on I am going to respond to any adverts in the classifieds with:

"Pitty it's a 26'er....how about R5 and a piece of gum from under my desk"

PS. I am convinced any cranksets, seatposts, handlebars, derailers and saddles also become obsolute once fitted to a 26'er...more discounts.

Well I'm not sure what the reason is, but it feels like I'm giving my Epic 26 with XTR away and still nobody is biting...

Its true I am afraid, look at the epic podium...all the pro's are on them. They roll over obstacles easier, have a bigger contact patch so your bike handles much better and tests by spez clealy show why you should get one. It's matter of time but soon you won't be able to give your 26'er away, I might be able to help you in that dept if it's a s-works epic, scalpel or merida 96 team edition.

From now on I am going to respond to any adverts in the classifieds with:

"Pitty it's a 26'er....how about R5 and a piece of gum from under my desk"

PS. I am convinced any cranksets, seatposts, handlebars, derailers and saddles also become obsolute once fitted to a 26'er...more discounts.

I've read the same, Its all in mtbr.com , there is a huge article. Now what was the link again. :unsure:

Well I'm not sure what the reason is, but it feels like I'm giving my Epic 26 with XTR away and still nobody is biting...

R5 and a piece of gum from under my desk :D

There is no change that the 26érs will die.

Yes, people will buy 29érs, but also keep the 26érs.

But the 26érs will not loose value. There is just to many 26'rs in the world and on the shop floors.

There is no change that the 26érs will die.

Yes, people will buy 29érs, but also keep the 26érs.

But the 26érs will not loose value. There is just to many 26'rs in the world and on the shop floors.

It doesn't seem to be working this way.

Going to buy a 29er soon but will only use it for races and use my 26 for practice.

Edited by exclusive

Isn't everything for the 29er more expensive? seems like a bit of a push that will make the sport even more elitist than it already is. Next you'll be telling me that my machine is obsolete because its made of aluminium and i should pay 10k for my frame and clearly o'm not taking my riding seriously because I have two sub XT components.....oops wait....thats what i get told by every bike magazine.

90% of people i see on the spruit including the newbies are on 26HT's and there's a good reason for that.

I'm one of the route masters at our LBS and the 29er guys said that they would like to challenge my friend and I on our 26ers with a 55km MTB social ride. Mine is a Cannondale FS ad my friend has a Merida FS.

The 4 29ers couldn't keep up with us on the climbs, downhills as well as single tracks. So it's not about the bike but it's rather about the rider.

I will probably buy a 29er when the technology is more mature in 5+ years time but for now I will most certainly stick with my 26er. As far as I know, due to the wheel diameter and spoke length the 29er wheels are less stiff than 26ers so you loose energy through the rims, the standard gear 29er ratio is much less on a 29er than 26er's(you can see this with the naked eye without counting the spikes) due to the bigger wheel which in actual fact with every pedal stroke you get the same distance on a 26'er as with a 29er, 29ers are less maneuverable hence the reason you don't get 29er DH bikes(I think and if so they are not very popular) and that's why people are saying that 26ers are more fun.

I think comparing 29ers to 26ers is like comparing apples with pears, one hubber said that the one is not better than the other, just different and designed for different purposes and that is exactly just that.

However, apparently the KHS 27.5er is like Albany, the best of both worlds but I cant vouch for that, never seen or ridden one.

Edited by janneman72

Hold on to your 26 ,because in future the only place you will see a 26 is in a museum next to the T rex.

Big wheels (bigger than 26") are not new to cycling yet somehow mtbks landed up with a 26" standard wheel size, surely this decison was based on some sort of real fact?

I find it hard to believe that the mtbk industry got it all wrong way back whenever....and only recently found out that 29" is better.

Big wheels (bigger than 26") are not new to cycling yet somehow mtbks landed up with a 26" standard wheel size, surely this decison was based on some sort of real fact?

I find it hard to believe that the mtbk industry got it all wrong way back whenever....and only recently found out that 29" is better.

It was all they had back then. They adapted the MTB from the 70'd cruisers like the Bomber and so on. All had 26" wheels.