How to fix a puncture?

minjin

Just before Saturdays ride, I found my rear wheel was a little soft so gave it a quick pump. No sound of leaking so off I went. (by the way it is a MTB tubeless with Racing Ralph)

About 2 kms down the road and the rear is getting soft. I have a look and the sealant is coming out of a hole about 4mm long. I clean out the hole and spin the wheel hoping to stop the leak. Seem to work so give it a blast of a bomb and off I go again. Another km or 2 and the wheel is getting soft again.

Thats the history - heres the prob.

the hole in the tyre seems to seal and hold once it is down to around 0.8bar but the minute I pump above that, it leaks.

What are my options

The tyre is only around 300km old so i dont really want to chuck it.

would a plug work in a hole that size?

what about putting a patch on the inside of the tyre?

more sealant?

advice (and new free tyres) appreciated

Edited by minjin

Why do you need to tell us the tyre/wheel size? Is the puncture repair method different for a different wheel size? I mean I know it's just the coolest thing since sliced bread to be able to throw in that you have a fancy new 29er, but really, in every conversation? It's a tad tedious.

minjim things have changed on the hub bro, lately its more inflamitory to mention 29er than doing spam :lol:

minjim things have changed on the hub bro, lately its more inflamitory to mention 29er than doing spam :lol:

Hey, without OomH around, what are we supposed to do?

Why do you need to tell us the tyre/wheel size? Is the puncture repair method different for a different wheel size? I mean I know it's just the coolest thing since sliced bread to be able to throw in that you have a fancy new 29er, but really, in every conversation? It's a tad tedious.

Its a bigger tyre therefore you need a bigger patch.

The local bike shops seem very uninterested in selling these kinda patch kits because I think they would prefer selling you a new tyre with their super 100% + markup :P

I bought a proper car patch kit from a wheel repair place (Can't remember which one), and the R70 glue that comes with it :blink: to fix my tyre. I had a pretty big hole about 3mm away from the edge of the tyre (Sidewall cut, nasty snakebite). And it worked like a charm!

On your next CRC order you might wanna get yourself a few of the bike tubeless patch kits though :)

4mm hole just needs a little plug . Gater will be over kill .

Yeah, on the rand, we believe in using a buldozer instead of a teaspoon anyday.

The local bike shops seem very uninterested in selling these kinda patch kits because I think they would prefer selling you a new tyre with their super 100% + markup :P

I bought a proper car patch kit from a wheel repair place (Can't remember which one), and the R70 glue that comes with it :blink: to fix my tyre. I had a pretty big hole about 3mm away from the edge of the tyre (Sidewall cut, nasty snakebite). And it worked like a charm!

On your next CRC order you might wanna get yourself a few of the bike tubeless patch kits though :)

I am not to sure what patch kits you refering to but a tubeless patch kit would basicly be your needle and a few plugs . These you can find at any bike shop (expensive) or from your local Midas or tyre shop for half the price . I do prefer the ones you get for car tyres as they can plug really beeeeg holes but you can also use them for small holes by just pulling a piece off .