Asma Pump for an unfair advantage?

Vetseun

For OT: Asthma releavers do not offer a sportsman an unfair advantage but Asthma attacks do. Many top sportsman are Asthma sufferers and will actually induce an Asthma attack before an event. I cannot remember the time window, but after an attack they actually have an unfair advantage as it somehow boosts lung capacity etc (Sorry, details are fuzzy as I'm on medication right now).

Also their is a window period after an Asthma attack where you won't get one again, so if this dude claims he has more than one attack on a ride then he is not having them. He is most likely a sufferer like me that takes preventative medication - its not the same.

EDIT: Releaver medication does not work for prevention, and preventor medication does not work attacks. Most asthma sufferors that I see grabbing their pumps are using the wrong wong, the always use releavers which are uselss until the actual attack happens.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you using a preventor or releaver? Big difference.

I use a preventor each day and yes there is a difference on my morning commute which happens to be a hard core mountain climb on Somerset West tar roads. But I also take chronic antihistamines and the two work together.

Prevention... fortunately not bad enough that I have to carry the pump with me at the moment... Without it I can;t take my heartrate over 80% without my chest closing down (and my muscles with it)

Sour grapes my ass I asked a question

Sour Grapes!

I suggest you Goggle ASMA, before you enter a medical debate.

Get back to me.

I have used salbutamol in racing, and it does work. (edit, you need a bit more than a single burst from a pump though...)

Are you ashmatic though?

I have asma and take 2 burst before I ride. If I ride hard it is possible to get another asma attack. But finishing a pump and going for seconds is a bit much.

For OT: Asthma releavers do not offer a sportsman an unfair advantage but Asthma attacks do. Many top sportsman are Asthma sufferers and will actually induce an Asthma attack before an event. I cannot remember the time window, but after an attack they actually have an unfair advantage as it somehow boosts lung capacity etc (Sorry, details are fuzzy as I'm on medication right now).

Also their is a window period after an Asthma attack where you won't get one again, so if this dude claims he has more than one attack on a ride then he is not having them. He is most likely a sufferer like me that takes preventative medication - its not the same.

EDIT: Releaver medication does not work for prevention, and preventor medication does not work attacks. Most asthma sufferors that I see grabbing their pumps are using the wrong wong, the always use releavers which are uselss until the actual attack happens.

That is incorrect, Ive had asthma my whole life, my granfather died from it. I can have an attack very soon after having already had one and having just used my pump. I use a preventator & a blue pump for attacks

10 hits on an Asthma pump = 1 nebulisor.

Are you ashmatic though?

Wouldn't matter. Even if you are asthmatic, there's a limit to how many puffs you're allowed to take before you're over the limit. A TUE isn't a free-for-all.

Another drug that is similar to Salbutamol is Clenbuterol. Clenbuterol is used medically as a bronchodilator, but also used off-label as a weight loss drug and performance-enhancing drug.

I think it is possible that an asthma pump can give you an unfair advantage.

It's funny how so many pro athletes are being treated for "exercise induced asthma"!

I have asma and take 2 burst before I ride. If I ride hard it is possible to get another asma attack. But finishing a pump and going for seconds is a bit much.

Its eventually weakens the heart and can cause brain damage eventually from too much.

All its doing is allowing the oxygen to flow better.

Wouldn't matter. Even if you are asthmatic, there's a limit to how many puffs you're allowed to take before you're over the limit. A TUE isn't a free-for-all.

Of course it would matter, it would have a different effect on a non ashmatic as it would to me. Its helping me breath(Im asthmatic) but for the non-asthmatic is enhancing.

You get asthma pumps and asthma pumps..........

Some are completly prohibeted by WADA and others not.

E.g: Two of the most commonly used inhalers Symbicort and Seretide. Symbicort prohibitted and Seretide allowed by WADA.

Can of worms...........

Of course it would matter, it would have a different effect on a non ashmatic as it would to me. Its helping me breath(Im asthmatic) but for the non-asthmatic is enhancing.

You can argue that with WADA :) Or better yet, get your doctor to argue it with WADA.

OK, let me rephrase: there is a WADA-legal limit for asthma medication even if you have a TUE. If you don't have a TUE the limit is 0. If you do have a TUE the limit is X. You may not use X+1. Even if you are asthmatic, WADA thinks X+1 puffs is performance enhancing. I don't know what X is.

There's an ethical limit too. If you get to a point where you know it's performance enhancing (like TNT1 claimed), you should stop.

That is incorrect, Ive had asthma my whole life, my granfather died from it. I can have an attack very soon after having already had one and having just used my pump. I use a preventator & a blue pump for attacks

10 hits on an Asthma pump = 1 nebulisor.

OK, I can see the medication is strong in me today. No more posting. I need to first find that article on sports cheating asthma attacks before I post from my rather fuzzy memory again.

You can argue that with WADA :) Or better yet, get your doctor to argue it with WADA.

OK, let me rephrase: there is a WADA-legal limit for asthma medication even if you have a TUE. If you don't have a TUE the limit is 0. If you do have a TUE the limit is X. You may not use X+1. Even if you are asthmatic, WADA thinks X+1 puffs is performance enhancing. I don't know what X is.

There's an ethical limit too. If you get to a point where you know it's performance enhancing (like TNT1 claimed), you should stop.

Asthma pumps will have different effects on an asthmatic then a non asthmatic. I can't see how someone with asthma would use it for performance enhancement, gosh it just allows me to barely breath sometimes, but I can see how it would can get abused by the ones claiming they have got asthma. Its very hard to prove that you don't have asthma - Like someone said, no wonder half the peleton have

"asthma"