Swimming at Linden public pool Randburg

Seeker911

Does anyone use the Linden swimming pool in Randburg ?

My swim times are not very fast I do 1.5km in about 40 minutes (Raynard T does 3.8km in 48mins !) so I'm looking to try achieve faster swim times before end of winter. So I reckon I either need a swim coach and I would certainly want a recommendation or find one or more partners to swim with to try push the pace (a bit like cycling in a bunch). I normally swim Tue and Thu afternoons but am fairly flexible.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My swim times are not very fast I do 1.5km in about 40 minutes (Raynard T does 3.8km in 48mins !) so I'm looking to try achieve faster swim times before end of winter. So I reckon I either need a swim coach and I would certainly want a recommendation or find one or more partners to swim with to try push the pace (a bit like cycling in a bunch). I normally swim Tue and Thu afternoons but am fairly flexible.

:clap:

I've found someone that is slower than me ! :lol:

Seriously though, I used Linden for my last couple of training sessions before Ironman.

As Gummi says, you'll need a swim coach to correct your technique, although who at Linden, I have no idea. If you are a member of VA I could recommend someone.

:clap:

I've found someone that is slower than me ! :lol:

Seriously though, I used Linden for my last couple of training sessions before Ironman.

As Gummi says, you'll need a swim coach to correct your technique, although who at Linden, I have no idea. If you are a member of VA I could recommend someone.

+ 1, I'm also a bit faster on 1.5k... 1.9km in 36min on a good day...

but don't sweat the swim too much, its the shortest and easiest part of triathlon...

its 80% techniqye, and to master that will take years.

Linden pool in Linden, I know.

Linden Pool in Victory Park, I could accept.

Linden Pool in Northcliff would be vaguely in the right direction.

But Linden pool in Randburg is hard, even for a Capetonian (reformed Lindener/Blairgowrian) to believe.

When I was training for Ironman, I made 1 trip to that pool onto to find that there was a gala on that day. When they hadn't opened 15 minutes after they were suppposed to I wnet and found someone who said, "Eish, gala". No notice, no warning - nothing! Very irritating. So I ended up joining fitstop gym near Rhema for a very reasonable rate per month for my wife and I. I cannot remember precisely how much but I can say that it was WAY cheaper than VA and Planet Fitness. They have a nice 25m pool with 4 lanes.

Check it out.

Linden pool in Linden, I know.

Linden Pool in Victory Park, I could accept.

Linden Pool in Northcliff would be vaguely in the right direction.

But Linden pool in Randburg is hard, even for a Capetonian (reformed Lindener/Blairgowrian) to believe.

Linden is classified as being in Randburg. :)

You're still faster than me :)

Last two triathlons: 2nd last and dead last out of the water. :o

Half ironman: more than 50 mins (wetsuit and saltwater helps). But at least I made it, and made the cut-off. I know two people that didn't.

Hey, in August I couldn't swim, so it's a serious step up.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice pool. There is a guy there named Roy. Good coach. Helped me improve a lot in a very short period. Definately would recommend him. He is there every day from 3 - 7pm

• 1 year later...

I went there this morning to do a training session. Pool temperature 20. Water color green. No running pumps. No filtration. Running water in showers = zero. Cost = R8. Overall impression this morning = siiiiiiiiiiiiiifffffffff

I am sure tomorrow I will have a 3rd eye thumbdown.gif

Ultimate Hubber

I am very interested in your comment. I am working at Beeld newspaper and I'm writing a story on the constant problems people seem to experience at Linden swimming pool. I would love to talk to you and hear your complaints and whether or not this is a problem you think has been going on for a while?! I want to ask the City of Joburg what is going on and when it will improve? Especially since it is now that time of year when people need to train.

Status update. Water color kinda normal no longer green. Distinct heavy chemical smell. Showers dont work - this is a real problem if you just got out of a chemical infested pool. Water temperature 20 degrees so no heating. Not that I mind the non heating. I prefer to swim in cold water especially if you doing 3-5km of swimming in one session. Think however I am going to try Ellis Park on Friday morning. They have 2 * 50m heated pools and they actually answer the phones. Bit of drive but at least I will arrive at work smelling rosy and not like a blick of HTH

Ultimate Hubber

I am very interested in your comment. I am working at Beeld newspaper and I'm writing a story on the constant problems people seem to experience at Linden swimming pool. I would love to talk to you and hear your complaints and whether or not this is a problem you think has been going on for a while?! I want to ask the City of Joburg what is going on and when it will improve? Especially since it is now that time of year when people need to train.

"Ultimate Hubber" is a designation, not an alias...

• 4 months later...

Any later updates on this?

I've never been to Linden swimming pool, what's it like now?

Thanks

Last update I heard is that it would be reopened in June.....will drive past there tonight to see....

Archived