Best Time to Train

A jogger told me yesterday that when she runs early morning she sees plenty of cyclists out on the roads, whereas when I go for my afternoon ride/commute I only see one or two. Do most people cycle early morning? Is it better to train at certain times of the day rather than other times? I would go in the mornings but I can't get out of bed until about 7:30, though if it's better to train early morning I'll make the effort.

What time do you guys normally train at, and for how long (week-days)?

i just read an article in the bicycle mag and the experts say early is best as your body has rested and your metab starts at its best. also said u should eat before to get the metab going and also because your blood sugar drops when you have slept so you need the energy. My 2 pennies.:)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm going to try some early morning rides and see how it goes, have no idea how the hell i'm going to get up that early though, maybe i'll start by aiming for say 6am and see how that goes. i'm done for the day, so i'm off for a 20kay ride now, enjoy y'all!

The best time to train is when the time can be made available. You still have to make time to train if you have a day job.

I don't like losing sleep in the morning, so I train in the afternoon. I need lots of sleep and go to bed at 21h00. I do however leave for work early so training in the morning makes me loose sleep and there is no way I will go to bed at 19h00 to make up for it.

I must be the outcast , but I like to train at 3pm. You just need to get your eating right otherwise you will not have energy at that time. But I have to add that we have good roads to train on so I don't mind the traffic. Also you build up a nice tan if you ride at that time and it is not to cold.

After following this topic yesterday, I decided to give the morning training a go. I usually training in the afternoons but with the imminent winter and it being dark at 6 already, training in the mornings might not be such a bad idea.

So last night I got everything set up so that it everything is ready to go this morning. The alarm went off at 4:45. I thought screw this and reset the alarm to a more humane hour. I will be sticking to training in the afternoons.

i decided to try the early morning ride, didn't hear any of the alarms (3 set) and finally rolled out of bed a cup of coffee ago. i'll be sticking to afternoons as well.

i decided to try the early morning ride, didn't hear any of the alarms (3 set) and finally rolled out of bed a cup of coffee ago. i'll be sticking to afternoons as well.

lol, I was wondering if you would be out and about this morning.

The hardest part of training early morning is really just getting up and ready. Its actually quite funny watching all the grumpies in the morning who just got up and desperately need a cuppa, whilst knowing you're training is done and dusted. Just get into the habit.

I am married with two kids and hold down a day job, so I have given up on the training lark. I now ride whenever I can get the chance to. Mostly on sunday mornings followed by a leisurely brunch, and the org gives me wednesday afternoons occasionally to pump the trails at groenkloof. Also to save money for my son's varisty fees in ten years time, I cycle to work about two to three times a week on my SS commute.

get a job, FFS!

I should have added that I am a student so I can train at that time.

P.S do not worry next year at my job I start working at 06:45

During the week start at 4.10am, weekends say 5.30am

Allows for 2h15 ride during the week and longer weekends.

Also helps with sleeping!

The biggest factors for me - safety, no traffic, not intefering with family life - young kids etc.

During winter is harder - we must have looked like gorillas in the mist this am, but v good lights.

Also allows one to train on empty tummy and burn fat... but only try when you used to it.

C U on the road early.

Hi Tightfitt,

You mention Family life, kids bla, bla, bla.

What time do you go to bed at night....

I for one struggle. With a 3year old and 4month old it's not easy.

So on occasion's I train in the afternoon. And take power naps when I can.

So how do you do it? What's your day like?