mtb pedals

nellie

Okay...so i'm quite sure it's been asked before - so bite me okay?Wink

I'm in the market for new mtb pedals - had lower than bottom of the range, so just looking for an upgrade.

Looking for something that's easy to clip in, so that i don't have to ride with one leg for some amount of time before i eventually find the right side of the pedal where the cleat goes in.Confused

And not too expensive (my bike's worth about R2700 - so jaEmbarrassed)

thanx in advanceStar

Eggbeaters Smarty, should set you back less that R500 (cwc has them for 385), worth every cent.

don't bother with anything other than Time ATAC's.   They work, always.  Simple and reliable.  You will not regret it.

I'm using 520's and they've never missed a beat (forgive the pun). In our riding group we call egg beaters, "wrist breakers" because everyone that has tried them has broken something (on their body) on their first ride with them. The only negative effect of 520's is the ability to clip in muddy conditions where wrist breakers probably have the upper hand.

I use the 540's and rate them. I find shimano pedals give you best bang for buck, nice range depending on how much you want to spend and they are indestructible. Haven't seen a broken one yet, but have seen broken ataks and egg beaters

Okay...so i'm quite sure it's been asked before - so bite me okay?Wink

I'm in the market for new mtb pedals - had lower than bottom of the range' date=' so just looking for an upgrade.

Looking for something that's easy to clip in, so that i don't have to ride with one leg for some amount of time before i eventually find the right side of the pedal where the cleat goes in.Confused

And not too expensive (my bike's worth about R2700 - so jaEmbarrassed)

thanx in advanceStar
[/quote']

Hi Nellie. If I were you I will wait on the new LOOK Quartz to arrive. Have a look at www.lookcycle.com The entry level model will retail for R620.....awesome value for money. Check the spec...

Why don't you try eggbeaters ? 4 way clip and brilliant in mud !

I agree with The Thug.

I had non-eggbeater pedals on my bike and had a nasty crash at the 6hr mtb race as I was unable to unclip in time due to the amount of mud clogged around the pedal.

Have now changed to eggbeaters and they are great! Even on the first ride with them, I had no issues!

Hey peeps, thanx for all the advice!

When my dad said i can get new pedals my first thoughts were also "jippieeee...eierklitsers!Big%20smile" But they were a bit out of my price rangeCry

Hmmm...so went to my LBS, told the oom what all you lovely peeps said, so he showed me some of the pedals, gave me the pro's and cons. And as i was there with my mtb and mtb shoes (which has cleats that fit most of the pedals) he gave a few to try and see what i like.

Decided on the "RYDER spdBipedals" they looked good and clipping in/out was best and the allowed float was also the most comfortable. Marked price - R340, got them for R280Big%20smile (...and you still ask why i love oom Johan so much!Hug) Aluminium body, and weigh 300g. I'll try to load some photos now.