What happened to John-Lee Augustyn?

Silverback Ru

It's about brand awareness and brand exposure more than Advertising.

You might not know what or who RECM is, but you have become aware of the brand.

It might happen that you will need the services of such a firm in the future and when the name comes up you will associate the brand.

Totally unrelated but one year we decided to take out an advertising contract with a very well know and established engineering magazine, it was to run for 12 months and cost a small fortune, we however rationalized it by thinking if we landed one or two extra contracts from the adverts it would have been worth it.

Short story long, one day a stranger phoned me enquiring on a pump from our range, we chatted and I explained the pump to him and we closed the deal, it was, he said a great pleasure working with you and why dont you advertise these pumps, you would sell so many more? I asked him if he read this particular magazine, he replied affirmatively, every issue. I just sighed, he read every one but never saw our full page add for the last 7 months, he found us by that old fashioned method of "Word of mouth"! 

I cancelled the advertising contract on expiry the next day.

Anyway, I think young John-Lee has a lot to be proud of, I dont much follow SA cyclists, but as one of the few who actually achieved the success he did, he was actually quite a humble young man. 

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark Blewett. Owner of Swift carbon bikes

Oops, Well he could pass as a famous Dj. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/24/7930260ce3a2d5646e455da2fe19f9ef.jpg Edited by NGUTF

It's about brand awareness and brand exposure more than Advertising.

You might not know what or who RECM is, but you have become aware of the brand.

It might happen that you will need the services of such a firm in the future and when the name comes up you will associate the brand.

essentially as local cyclists we should really all be banking with ABSA, connected with MTN and insured with miway. I've got none of those, and not sure cyclists in general go for those brands in greater numbers. Hopefully I'm wrong

essentially as local cyclists we should really all be banking with ABSA, connected with MTN and insured with miway. I've got none of those, and not sure cyclists in general go for those brands in greater numbers. Hopefully I'm wrong

I am with neither of those. Would actually like my bank and service provider to get more involved with our sport. They are doing a great job with their involvement at W2W.

Check the Miway thread and tell me if you still want to be insured with them.

Or shop at Food lovers because of the connection to W2W.

NOT.

As I've said brand awareness doesn't mean sales.Spending a couple mil a year on brand awareness in this economy is a waste of money.