Who is the best orthopedic for knees in SA

Spike is only available from the 27th of June :( , my GP recommends him, so im sure the wait will be worth it. :)

thanks for the inputs.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Daan Du plessis, he works from the Little company of mary hospital in pretoria, He did my ACL ligament in 22min operation, I was walking(not comforable) but walking the next day, He hold a record for a full knee repacement, He does all his operations with a spinal block and not general anesthesia.

I hope you come right in both ways.

• 1 year later...

Doctor Vikesh Gajjar in Port Elizabeth, Ive had my third knee surgery now. I will not mention the surgeons who did the first two failed surgeries, but they have been mentioned in this thread.

Edited by Paul Nel

I will also say Dr Vikesh Gajjar in PE, your best bet in the EC. Spike is good but post operative care is a problem in Port Alfred. Again rehab must be followed.

Go to dr philda de jager at hpc pretoria to get opinion.if you need op, I think daan du plessis is the go to guy....

Edited by CL Venter

Leon van Wyk in cape town.... been invited to go and do op's in europe every year.. Had 2 friends that went to spike..and ...... I had both knees done by Leon van Wyk

I believe that in Durban, De Vlieg is the man to see.

+1, He is based at the Sport Science Institute in Durban.

Went to see him after a PMB surgen coked up my knee.

Depending on what you have done, it can be a long patient recovery, with lots of physio.

Mine took over a year.

Good luck.

Go to Willem Tollig in Pretoria. Great results

I am going to see him next week. Booked with Vardi for next month as well as a back up plan :)

Good to see that Tollig is recommended

In somerset west there is Dr Hoffman. Think it is Dirk Hoffman.

My dad wasn't very happy with Spike's work from a couple of years back. Hoffman eventually replaced the knee early last year. Best decision ever.

Dr Anton Julyan @ Pta east hospital - he rocks and seen his knee work. He 'rebuilt' my ankle and not given me any problems, even with the cycling etc!

Ponky Firer Linksfield Clinic

Agree. He did both my knees in 1995 and have never had any problems. Rehab is very painful

Does anybody know someone in the Bloemfontein area that operates on knees and that is any good? I have been struggling with ITBS for about a year now and I need to see someone to help sort this out. I have done the stretching, physio, rest, leg exercises etc route and nothing has helped.

There seems to be quite a few respected drs around the country, but the distances will make it difficult to use one of these.