What are the best MTB wheels?

Stevief

Hope II hubs, Stans ZTR rims, DT Swiss Spokes. Get them off chainreaction and have them built locally. That is the best value for money in this price range.

JKP thanks this is totally new to me to have it built? I am from PE anybody you can recommend?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope Pro II Hubs

DT Swiss Revolution Spokes (or wheelsmith)or even DT Swiss Competition Spokes

and

ZTR Crest Rims (with the stickers removed :rolleyes: )

How much are the spokes? Have you replaced some ? Thanks for the tumbs up on this one....

I bought the wheelset 4 the Epic and bought some extra spokes as pre-caution, I think it was close to R100 per pop!! This was in 2009, and the wheelset is still good, even after the Epic and its rocks, so perhaps this expenditure was a bit of an overkill?

Hope II hubs, Stans ZTR rims, DT Swiss Spokes. Get them off chainreaction and have them built locally. That is the best value for money in this price range.

what would these end up costing you off CRC? sure postage would be free and would you pay much tax or any other fees?

Hope Pro II Hubs

DT Swiss Revolution Spokes (or wheelsmith)or even DT Swiss Competition Spokes

and

ZTR Crest Rims (with the stickers removed :rolleyes: )

Stickers removed because? :D what would this cost you?

how much difference does the quality of the hub make verse the weight on the wheel (rim ?)

Sorry Bman - a bit of an 'in joke' for others reading - if you see my bikes (and my closthes) I remouve stickers and labels off everything! :blush:

Have you ever seen a pair of Black Fox Forks withe all the stickers removed? Plain and beautiful!

ZTR Crest Rims are plain black once you remove the stickers :clap:

Edited by levett

I am a big fan of DT Swiss all round. Been riding DT Swiss wheelset for over 2 years without a days trouble.

Not sure of the price though, got them with the bike?

Sorry Bman - a bit of an 'in joke' for others reading - if you see my bikes (and my closthes) I remouve stickers and labels off everything! :blush:

Have you ever seen a pair of Black Fox Forks withe all the stickers removed? Plain and beautiful!

ZTR Crest Rims are plain black once you remove the stickers :clap:

haha okay i see, wondered if i was missing something - so your plain black wheelset - what did they set yo back? Want to build a set the same except plain white :thumbup:

haha okay i see, wondered if i was missing something - so your plain black wheelset - what did they set yo back? Want to build a set the same except plain white :thumbup:

I got the hubs, as a great deal, from here on TheHub - brand new, and unused, R1,500 the pair - the Rims from CRC GBP58.08 plus SA VAT (say R750 each, all in), and then I went on Johan Bornman's Wheel Building Course and built them there. So, if you ignore the cost of the course, about R4,000 with DT Swiss Revolution Spokes - all in!

Fantastic set of wheels :clap:

Edited by levett

so many hope pro 11 hubs on crc ??? which one??

They have the 'old' Hope Pro 2 and then you'll notice the Evo. That's just their latest version of the Pro2, only recently launched. A little more expensive but seems to have some nice improvements.

You'll probably have quick release skewers on your wheels? If so, ignore all the ones that advertise 10mm bolt thru, 12mm, 15, or 20mm thru axles.

So this would be your rear hub: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=60997

And here's your front hub: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=60983

For me, a question that I still need answered is do I need to go with 36 holes on the rear or can I get away with 32 holes. Help.Me, it's an answer you might be interested in too, as you're also a larger oke. So anyone care to assist?

Edited by tombeej

They have the 'old' Hope Pro 2 and then you'll notice the Evo. That's just their latest version of the Pro2, only recently launched. A little more expensive but seems to have some nice improvements.

You'll probably have quick release skewers on your wheels? If so, ignore all the ones that advertise 10mm bolt thru, 12mm, 15, or 20mm thru axles.

So this would be your rear hub: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=60997

And here's your front hub: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=60983

For me, a question that I still need answered is do I need to go with 36 holes on the rear or can I get away with 32 holes. Help.Me, it's an answer you might be interested in too, as you're also a larger oke. So anyone care to assist?

Thanks for all the advice now where is johan yellow saddle when one is looking for his advice regarding 32 / 36 holes??

If you are over 100kg and do heavy jumps then go for 36 holes. Otherwise 32 will be strong enough.