What do you wish you had known in the beginning?

Ollie

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Building a bike up from scratch or taking off weight(better speced part) will cost you a fortune, and that you are better off buying the complete higher speced bike from the beginning

Get into MTB rather.

The Argus should'nt be the focus of your cycling, as it is only 1 ride.

The whole roadbiking scene is geared for speed and time, rather than enjoyment.

On an MTB you really going to be pushed out of your comfort zone, which equates to great fun.

I'm planning on doing all the MTB events until the road season comes around, and will probably continue with it when the season ends. Winter MTB, Summer road, etc.

My goal for the Argus is not just about time, but to be in that top group of riders that beats the sub-3 on a good day (top 1000, more or less).

to start with a buddy.

to decided before hand what you want to achieve and investigate the amount af time/effort it will take.

not to race every weekend.

you dont need litres of fluid for one day races upto about 2h

weight counts (and light wheels)

no place to hide in mtb

kill yourself at least once a week in training

fix your own bike/gear

Edited by Mellow

core exercises. (all those girlie ones, do them in the yoga studio where none of the ironmonkeys can see you )

strength training in the gym.

I wish I'd known it was going to cost me so much.

Seriuosly though, I wish someone had told me how much better mtbing was than road riding.

Also wish there was more info on the different trails available (6 years ago, there wasn't much). I had to do PPA races as my introduction to mtbing and they are not the best. If I had found Jonkershoek earlier, I think the mtb bug would have hit straight away and I wouldn't have wasted 2 years riding on the road.

I wish someone had smacked this sort of sense into me 12 years ago:

Catch any niggles early - don't let anything become chronic. Worded differently: don't think you can ride it off! That stabbing niggle is a neon flashing warning message being sent to you by your body. Listen to it! (EDIT: don't treat the symptom - find out the source of the problem. No, it is not just going to go away on its own!)

Find a top notch physio and sports massage therapist. Put them on speed dial.

Especially if you're over 30, stretch, stretch and then stretch again. Become obsessed with stretching.

Cycling specific strength training in the gym.

Edited by tombeej

I've done two MTB events thus far, the Malmesbury 35km (very hard) and Breede 32km (average). Next is the Tru-Cape on May 7: I should attempt the 50km then? This will probably be a major shock to my system, if the intensity is anything like Malmesbury.

My first MTB ride was Malmesbury - hell it was tough. After that it was really enjoyable.

I've done two MTB events thus far, the Malmesbury 35km (very hard) and Breede 32km (average). Next is the Tru-Cape on May 7: I should attempt the 50km then? This will probably be a major shock to my system, if the intensity is anything like Malmesbury.

Do you like suffering? If yes, do the 50km :-)

Tru Cape for me is one of the tougher mtb races. Its got nice hard climbs, technical sections etc. No one for attempting your first 50km's IMO.

Mix hard sessions with easy sessions.

Allowing the bod to recover in good time. Thus, become stronger.