What is the meanest Hill you train on?

racman

When I lived in Durban, there were plenty of great hills to train on. All the usual ones like M19, Fields etc but then some other memorable beasts include:

Buttery (off Riverside Road), Rubbish Dump Hill (off Umgeni-ish), Marriot from under Greyville Race Course, that one from Marianhill to Kloof (can't recall the name) and Kloof Gorge...

If you live in Durban and are a weak climber, you have a problem...

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Up Kloof Rd Bedfordview(from west to east)than right up Fishers hill(past lovers leep) is quite a good one.

You see what makes "Pompstasie" tough is that on a good day, with no wind it is hard enough. But on a bad day with the wind blowing (as it does more often than not) itis FLIPPIN difficult !!!LOL

But I am sure there are harder hills. It would be interesting if people posted the profiles with the same scale.

I include the profile for the gravel road we use twice a month if time allows. As we are new to cycling this is just about the limit of my ability. We use a tar road back.

20071121_120820_witkop.JPG

When I lived in Durban' date=' there were plenty of great hills to train on. All the usual ones like M19, Fields etc but then some other memorable beasts include:

Buttery (off Riverside Road), Rubbish Dump Hill (off Umgeni-ish), Marriot from under Greyville Race Course, that one from Marianhill to Kloof (can't recall the name) and Kloof Gorge...

If you live in Durban and are a weak climber, you have a problem...

[/quote']

The hill past the dump is now the hill past the rather large township.  Not much different a climb to Stanley Copley (same hill less steep side).  The name you forgot is Stockville Road - rode it for the first time in about 15 years on Sunday morning.  Road is not in great condition and there are now about thirty speed bumps.  Marriot is shorter and less steep than the the Sydenham Road climb.  In and around Durban is great for short steep climbs, but there isn't much too keep you climbing for 30 minutes or longer.

20071121_140621_Rudd.jpg

Krugersdorp area: one not mentioned yet. I did the plot after nearly

coming down there a few weeks ago on the decent.   It's just

off Robert Broom, near  what was Protea Offroad Centre, now

Paardekraal something I think. Short & sweet/sweat.

Anyone ever cycled to the mast from Tokai forest? 10.9km and over 1000m ascent, half gravel, half tar, is killer in a howling south easter! record set by Darren Lill on his road bike! 38min! fastest mountain biker around 43min! smiley4.gif

Anyone ever cycled to the mast from Tokai forest? 10.9km and over 1000m ascent' date=' half gravel, half tar, is killer in a howling south easter! record set by Darren Lill on his road bike! 38min! fastest mountain biker around 43min! smiley4.gif [/quote']

Renay you are not to bad yourself, I have seen you climb a couple of hills

Anyone out there that has done the Burgers Pass originally called the koo pass outside Montague.

Took one look at the pass & got back into the carThumbs%20Down

Talk about mean hills:  Not the longest, bt at the end of the West Coast Cycle Tour (the one in Langebaan in December), you get that Myburghpark hill to finish on.  Nearly 10% and right at the end!  Was 30 degrees last year and I had to help my uncle up it.  Poor bugger had to walk up it!  This year he has a roadbike, so we are going to glide up there.

20071121_144527_Myburghparkhill.jpg

Ok' date=' I have a garmin, what about meeting in the Hyperama car park this Sunday at 7am (it's about an hours ride from my house to there)?

[/quote']

Hey Mr J, how did the 94.7 go?

That is quite a serious training ride......

Il see if I can get Chris and his lazy ass out of bed

Hey Ianj why aren't you gonna do doreen rd or even the other side of the northcliff hill, the route i know, i rate that is way steeper than the rest. we should do that one on sunday.

The real killer of the Tokai mast is the last 5.5km's - 500m of ascent. I think thats an average of 9% for over 5k's. Thank God its on Tar!

The real killer of the Tokai mast is the last 5.5km's - 500m of ascent. I think thats an average of 9% for over 5k's. Thank God its on Tar!

20071122_014341_mast.jpg