What is the meanest Hill you train on?

racman

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

okaaaay, I see lots of water, so I am assuming this in in Cape Town somehwere? (Need to get my new specs)

Had the same dis a few months ago.

Hans Stijdom PTA East - 3 km on 3.x%

Hills near my home (all in Silverton area): 

5% for 600 meters

7.5% for 450 meters

9% for 400 meters

then a 4.5% for 1.5 km.

That is some of the hills I can ride...

Cois I am in the same area' date=' lynnwood ridge, where is the 9% for 400m climb?
[/quote']

I rode it late at night and I was stuffed.  Will go look for it again sommer on Saterday.  Seeing that I have nothing to do.

It is just off Fakkel street in Silverton.

Northcliff Hill. There is one stretch (only about 50 metres or so) where it kicks up to about 15%. Total elevation gai of 173m in 2.7 km

Stepped on that road to the Pompstasie the last time I was in CT.  I was driving around by car and drove up there and promised myself the next time I am in CT with me bicycle I will go up there.  Looks nice.

Roads in my area: Well Voortrekker road here in Pretoria is a nice training hill.  I want to get in the habit of going over it and back in the afternoons when I come home from work.

Then here at work we have various options over Voortrekker hoogte, especially Roger Dyson comming from the Pretoria West side.  The right behind the Prison here is a nasty little climb of about 100 meters or so but I think it has a 10% gradient.

Tom Jenkins is fun, put only ride there in early morning when there are no cars.

Yip, that Voortrekker is quiet another type of hill as one can get a nice rythm going from Pretoria's side but climbing it back is a whole different expreince...quite nice to have one hill with two different methods to it....

I have to say that the hill at Suikerbos just before the end +/- 9 kilometers from the end is alos a tuffie...especially when one has done a hard 40 odd kilomoters already and then have to climb the odd 7 kilomters..........

First time round you sweat blood.....but believe me it's one of the best training routes in Gauteng minus the hoards of cars.......I dearly want to get out there again and get climbing fit on them hills

Tried the pomp stasie when I was last in CT, was blown off the road.

Wolerine identified some of the real steap roads on Klapperkop.

Vouch for:

1. loveday

2. Rose- real bastard as the steep bits are between the crossroads where you have to stop. Really steap at the Russian residence at the top (even the cement is falling away)

3. Sidney road, from the start in brooklyn, to the gate of military college, is about 3 km, really tough past the US Ambassadors house, especially after the circle.

4. Pikkewyn (Just behind the Military College, is a nice short cut from Morne Bester Cycles, but a bit short to inflect blood in the mouth)

Must say we really aren't blessed with real climbs.  I ride a 5% 4km climb (M19 freeway, Durban) fairly regularly - about 100 times per year - but I don't really consider it much of a climb.  There are a few steep bitches around (up to 15%+ in some places) but all are less than 2km so can't really count those either.  The hill climb in Barberton is a decent climb but not particularly steep nor long.  Boulders is a decent length but also not very steep.  A real climb really needs to be longer than 5km and steeper than 8% on average, with at least 3km's over 9%.

On the MTB, Libanon in the Karkloof marathon is a bit of a challenge, but otherwise I haven't come across any climbs that are steep for long periods and long.  Most MTB climbs are a challenge more for the severe steep slopes for short periods and the poor quality surface you are climbing over.  Burma Hill is a bitch, but you can't really count 2km of carrying your bike - same for most of the steep climbs at Giant's.

Ok guys i'm tired already after reading this thread, ill stick to my 4 little hills excluding Ou kaap in the southern suburbs. Sitting @92% of Max HR just reading this lot smiley11.gifhot stuff2007-11-21 02:09:14

Loveday street in muccelneak(how do you spell this suburb name) close to the post office tower.

There we go....

The first real climb mentioned.....Big%20smile

Duration 0:02:10   

Average Heart Rate 179 bpm 
Maximum Heart Rate 186 bpm 

Minimum Speed 5.1 km/h 
Average Speed 12.3 km/h 
Maximum Speed 16.8 km/h 
Distance  0.4 km 

Minimum Cadence  45 rpm 
Average Cadence  58 rpm 
Maximum Cadence 76 rpm 

Ascent 63 m 
Grade % 15.8 % 

VAM 1745 m/h 

For the road: Sylvia's Pass from Bruma side gets the heart rate up a bit' date=' and so does 1st Avenue Edenvale going south. For the MTB: it's got to be the track behind Dowerglen up toward Greenstone shopping centre.[/quote'] you must try the "Sylvia's from Bruma side" but do it through Observatory (near the golf course)!! Quite nasty!!

Another bad climb in the westrand is Galena Avenue in Kloofendal.  Anyone ridden it here? It is not that long but gets very steep at the top.

Another bad climb in the westrand is Galena Avenue in Kloofendal.  Anyone ridden it here? It is not that long but gets very steep at the top.

Haven't ridden it but is close to me so would like to see it, where is it from Wilgerood st?

Loveday street in muccelneak(how do you spell this suburb name) close to the post office tower.

There we go....

The first real climb mentioned.....Big%20smile

Average Speed 12.3 km/h 

Phew, if Spidey goes up at 12.3km/h I would be walking Ouch.

Sean - You take Wilgerood from Christian de Wet - think it is the first robot left into Topaz street, then first right into Galena.  Then you are at the top of the hill.  Go down and turn around at the bottom by the KLoofendal amphitheatre/nature reserve and come back up.  Very tough.  If you dont turn around Galena carries on into another uphill till a T-junction. 

In that area there is actually a lot of small steep uphills - good hill training!