I have an idea for a new thread...

TNT1

The same as these...

Ok, ok. Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Or MRI machines are magnetic. Not slightly, highly (1.5 tesla the ones in the pictures.)

Which is why a Prince Albert ring is not a good idea.

• Replies 78.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

HEADSHOT ?

My sister is studying to use these machines at the moment and she's been telling us all the stories of people that have been hit by flying fire extinguishers, guns, peoples belts that get stuck and all sorts of other things. There is a "kill" switch that destroys that magnet but it completely destroys that machine which cost a few hundred k to replace so that's not used to often if possible.

My sister is studying to use these machines at the moment and she's been telling us all the stories of people that have been hit by flying fire extinguishers, guns, peoples belts that get stuck and all sorts of other things. There is a "kill" switch that destroys that magnet but it completely destroys that machine which cost a few hundred k to replace so that's not used to often if possible.

It is called a quench button. It boils off the liquid helium inside the magnet which make the wires inside the magnet become resistive and thus the magnet is no longer a magnet.

The cost involved is for the liquid helium to get put back into the magnet. Anywhere between R140k to R200K. So pushing the quench button for the fun of it - not a good idea.

http://redesigner.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/95.jpg

Ahh...like those seven string Ibby's :thumbup:

It is called a quench button. It boils off the liquid helium inside the magnet which make the wires inside the magnet become resistive and thus the magnet is no longer a magnet.

The cost involved is for the liquid helium to get put back into the magnet. Anywhere between R140k to R200K. So pushing the quench button for the fun of it - not a good idea.

MJ looking at those burns i take it you in the MRI service/supply business? could you tell me if there is a specific reason the helium is at -269C because that is very very close to absolute zero so im thinking that there must be some reason?

Edited by Face Plant

@MJ loves MTB... when the machine is in operation, does the magnet's power increase... or is it the same whether operating or standby, and it's only the imaging unit that becomes active?

I ask because a couple of years ago I was sent for a head MRI. I was rather concerned as I have a metal bar bolted and wired across my ribcage. I couldn't remember didn't know what metal it was. I didn't think a ferrous metal would be used but if it was Stainless Steel, it could have had slightly magnetic properties (as is found on lesser grade St/Steel).

I told the radiologist about the etal bar, and she said "well, we'll just have to start it up and if it starts hurting, or gets hot, let us know".

Not very re-assuring right?! But luckily no problems.

So yeah... like you say the magnet is always on... so I would have had issues when I entered the room... right?!

http://www.airninja.com/pictures/seattle/fremont-troll.jpg

Is that a Blue Bulls supporter I spy hidin' under that there bridge?

patches,

surgical implants are usually made out of Titanium wich is not magnetic making it safe to go for a MRI

And that is where most people fail the test. These magnets are ALWAYS on. There is no on/off swich.

So i guess having a lot of coins in your pocket is not a good idea.