Free Slipstreaming while training

W1Z@RD

If a rider is able to sit on my wheel, so be it. Happy for him.

Don't understand why it should be an issue.

Greet and offer a wheel, or at least to ride together. I have met some awesome peeps this way and if I can help a fellow rider to get home, why not??

Sometimes we are just waaaaaayyyy to serious for ourselves.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no issue with someone slipping me,too.Maybe because I never met somebody which was riding with my pace.I'm always too slow or too fast.

If a rider is able to sit on my wheel, so be it. Happy for him.

Don't understand why it should be an issue.

Greet and offer a wheel, or at least to ride together. I have met some awesome peeps this way and if I can help a fellow rider to get home, why not??

Sometimes we are just waaaaaayyyy to serious for ourselves.

aaah, tuesdays that feel like mondays, thank goodness for the hub!

keep it up guys... :P

Um, you only do that if you are a bit daft. What you should do, is ride (or drive) in a controlled and predictable manner, and gradually easy up the pace and let the other person overtake.

uhm...it happens while on the N1 in traffic....its mainly the chops in their fancy BMW's or Merc who think they can go 140km/h in traffic....dream on....i normally change lanes if someone wants to come past....but if there is cars infront then live with it...Rule of road....KEEP A SAFE FOLOWING DISTANCE....so people who drive on peoples behinds deserve a wet toilet roll on their windscreen....

uhm...it happens while on the N1 in traffic....its mainly the chops in their fancy BMW's or Merc who think they can go 140km/h in traffic....dream on....i normally change lanes if someone wants to come past....but if there is cars infront then live with it...Rule of road....KEEP A SAFE FOLOWING DISTANCE....so people who drive on peoples behinds deserve a wet toilet roll on their windscreen....

I don't give a rats arse if it's the N1, or a dirt road in Holgatfontein. The closer some prick drives behind me, the slower I drive.

What grates my bum is, when I'm riding at a nice & steady pace, another cyclist overtakes and then slows down instead of maintaining his pace. It happens all the time.

What grates my bum is, when I'm riding at a nice & steady pace, another cyclist overtakes and then slows down instead of maintaining his pace. It happens all the time.

Take it as an opportunity to teach them how to ride a paceline. Don't get mad. Help those less fortunate than yourself. Be a better person.

Guest agteros

I don't give a rats arse if it's the N1, or a dirt road in Holgatfontein. The closer some prick drives behind me, the slower I drive.

I also tend to adjust my speed to the followers following distance. It keeps everybody safe clap.gif

Hi Guys,

I would like your opinion.

Yesterday i went for a training ride on the road. On my way back, I caught up to another cyclistd quite easily and as I caught him, we got caught by a traffic light. When the light when green, the other cyclists decided to go hard, I took a while to clip in and get into my stride but took me a bout a minute to catch up to him, sticking to my zone and pace. As I caught him, I didnt sit in his slip stream and went by. I rode the last part of my ride and put in a final push into zone 4 to finish up (this was about 5km flat)

As i tapped off I needed to cross lanes as my turn was right and I looked over my shoulder to make sure no cars were coming and this... for lack of a better word... ******** was not only sitting in my slip but his front wheel was overlapping my rear and I got such a fright that I almost dropped it into the pavement

Now, firstly.. if you training - what is the point of sitting on somebodies tail!

Secondly, if you going to sit on somebodies tail, surely it should be somebody you riding with or at LEAST ask/tell so that both parties are comfortable and aware!

This guy put me at risk and considering I dont know him from a bar of soap, I really think he should have either 1. asked 2. dropped off 3. gone past if he could.

What is the etiquette? If any? If I come past somebody, I always ensure i say passing right and good morning and then thanks.

Wow wizard. Sound a little homophobic there buddy! Wear less Assos style lycra man.

Seriously now. Are you telling me that you covered all that distance without realizing someone was on your tail?

Good thing it wasn't an Auntie in a Honda Civic or a Toyota Prius - on her CELLPHONE.

You would have been bug-splat.

Concentrate sunshine. Or we might just be bewailing your demise. :thumbdown: That would be 'not good'!

Are you serious? I honestly don't see what the whole problem was with the guys wheelsitting. Maybe he was having a bad day on the bike or something, or was out on the road for a long time allready...

Seriously people chill out ! Can't believe people an be so stuck up...

I agree this makes me loose faith in (somepart) of the cycling community....

Bergbok and DeLaCo, have you ever been to a mall where a mime artist pisses who off with his sh*t? Now the dude I was talking about reminded me of a mime, if I sit up, he sits up, if I drop, he drops....pretty irritating if you are out on a training ride I would say. Getting rid of the dude in any possible way is rather saving him some injury than causing it, because if I suddenly start my interval training, as I often do, while he is scrathing his ass, can you imagine the f*ck-up to both of us. So before the two of you really get your panties in a twist and loose faith in cycling, rather chill and stop being (wheel) suckers!

I must, must add my 2c. I don't understand the issue. If u are training u have ur own goals

for the ride. If another guy tries to keep up with u so be it. On anther day I might be the one trieing

to keep up. If u want the rotate, show the guy to pass and u pass later.

to get pass this issue ride a MTB, no such problems on the dirt "we" are much cooler than roadies :clap:

Aaaaah egos - gotta love them...

Here is Eldron's slipping advice:

If some random guy slips you when you ride past and you're doing intervals then slow down and say "I'm doing intervals - wanna join me?".

If some random guy slips you when you ride past him and proceeds to overlap then slow dwn and say "Overlapping is dangerous for both of us - if you want to slip me then please do so directly behind me".

C'mon okes - is friendliness obsolete? Am I just some peace pipe smoking hippy that doesn't realise that someone slipping you actually means "I challenge you to a a race of death poofter"?

Put the ego away - have a chat to the oke - who knows you may make a new friend/training partner.

If some random guy slips you when you ride past him and proceeds to overlap then slow dwn and say "Overlapping is dangerous for both of us - if you want to slip me then please do so directly behind me".

But what if it's a cross wind?

I had a gardener on his dikwiel sitting my wheel on Sunday. I got p!issed off cos I couldn't drop the bugger ! :(