Disc brakes: Mechanical vs Hydraulic

divernick

41 members have voted

1. 1. Mechanical or Hydraulic brakes - which is better on a budget?

• Mechanical, like Avid BB7's
    • Hydraulic, like Avid Juicy 3's

I am upgrading to discs and would like to know from those who have used mechanical discs if they are just rubbish or comparable to hydraulic brakes. The prices on some of the lower end hydraulic models are similar to mechanical disc brakes.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stay away from mechanical disk brakes. A properly setup V brake is a lot better than mechanical disks.

1 word... ***!

steer clear of mech discs. All of the disadvantages of hyds (weight) none of the advantages.

Rather get a GOOD pair of V's, or go for Hyd discs. "bad" discs can almost always be made better by upgrading hosing, discs and pads...

Go for the hydraulics, mate. For sure.

I Agree with the guys above - Mech Discs just do not work.

I have tried helping with 3 different bikes with mechs. It requires a LOT of hand power and even then it just does not stop the bike. The set-up has to be so perfect in terms of alignment, soft pads, max pull leverage.

We tried washing and cleaning with thinners, new brake pads etc and just could never get it working properly - Avoid avoid ! V brakes much better if you can't afford hydraulics

I Agree with the guys above - Mech Discs just do not work.

I have tried helping with 3 different bikes with mechs. It requires a LOT of hand power and even then it just does not stop the bike. The set-up has to be so perfect in terms of alignment, soft pads, max pull leverage.

We tried washing and cleaning with thinners, new brake pads etc and just could never get it working properly - Avoid avoid ! V brakes much better if you can't afford hydraulics

+1 :thumbup:

1 word... ***!

steer clear of mech discs. All of the disadvantages of hyds (weight) none of the advantages.

Rather get a GOOD pair of V's, or go for Hyd discs. "bad" discs can almost always be made better by upgrading hosing, discs and pads...

Go for the hydraulics, mate. For sure.

agree 1000000%

I have bargain basement Tektro Auriga Comps. But I've changed the pads & discs - pads = Swisstop, discs = Alligator Windcutter & another wavy type of alligator. Only problem I've ever had is that they squeal like a mutha***** when cold. But damn, do they bite! Running 160mm front and back due to me not having bought a post-mount adaptor for the 180mm yet...

I think I'll get these:

Shimano Deore Disc Brakes M575 - Ltd Edition Post Mount - White

Shimano XT Disc Rotor 6-Bolt RT76 160mm 6-Bolt

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Full/43693.jpg

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Full/39007.jpg

What about if you get a decent deal on a bike and it has mech discs? Is it worthwhile, cause to upgrade to hyd discs from mech discs is easier and cheaper than from V's to hyd discs? I mean you already have the correct hubs, discs, mounting for a caliper, and with V's you might need new hubs/wheels/fork, even a frame if the frame is V only?

What about if you get a decent deal on a bike and it has mech discs? Is it worthwhile, cause to upgrade to hyd discs from mech discs is easier and cheaper than from V's to hyd discs? I mean you already have the correct hubs, discs, mounting for a caliper, and with V's you might need new hubs/wheels/fork, even a frame if the frame is V only?

I don't think "decent deal" and "mech discs" could be uttered in the same sentence, IMHO, but you raise an interesting point. Mind you, which bike now DOESN'T have Disc mounts embrazed ont he frame?

The cost of upgrading is not that steep, if you go for a bargain basement set of wheels and discs... I've seen a set of Alex TD20's and a set of mine own Tektro's go for under R 2k... Not bad for a prety bombproof (but OH SO HEAVY!!!) set of disc specific rims and hyd discs...

I'd rather shell out the extra and pay for a half-decent bike with hyds, or an older bike with v's before I took on a mech disc behemoth. Chances are, the mech discer will have the ultimate in k@k list parts, so won't be worth getting in the first place.

I think I'll get these:

Shimano Deore Disc Brakes M575 - Ltd Edition Post Mount - White

Shimano XT Disc Rotor 6-Bolt RT76 160mm 6-Bolt

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Full/43693.jpg

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Full/39007.jpg

Thats what I have and you wont be dissapointed