Morewood frames

Roan

I always thought that the Kwela tubes were extruded and hydro formed overseas and then welded and finished in SA.

Will find out more info.

Hairy, I stand to be corrected but if my memory serves me right the tubes of the Kwela are Morewood proprietary, not sure where it's extruded and hydro formed, but machine welded in Taiwan, QC'd and painted locally.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone out there got a kwela 29er? they look shweeet

Ill say it again, 26inch dual sus, you cant beat a zula :)

Just did the Joberg2C on a "Zula" the bike was absolutely amazing on all the terrains,we had some pretty rough rock gardens,single track and all the other stuff.

I would look no further than the Zula,my bike comes in at 10.4KG's

Local is lekker :clap:

"I haven't succumbed to the conform of the dual susser and so I have an eye on the 26" Kwela."

I ride a kwela! And it is rocksolid!

1.4kg for the medium, is not 'heavy' for an aluminum frame!

Get yourself the Kwela, you will not be dissapointed!!! :clap:

Edited by Shift

"I haven't succumbed to the conform of the dual susser and so I have an eye on the 26" Kwela."

I ride a kwela! And it is rocksolid!

1.4kg for the medium, is not 'heavy' for an aluminum frame!

Get yourself the Kwela, you will not be dissapointed!!! :clap:

Actualy 1.4kg for such an expensive hardtail frame is heavy, very heavy actually. But thats not the point when it comes to morewood, for example the zula frame is about 300g heavier than my anthem frame. Morewood frames have never been renowned for their wheight saving characteristics, they are known for having perfect geomitry, being rock solid, and exellent rigidity. Hence giving you an almost unparralelled riding experiance.

That said though i wont spend that kind of money on a hardtail frame like the kwela, the zula yes but not the kwela.

Anyone out there know how the kwela 29er compares to the other frames on the market?

I dig the looks of it and think it should be the next project bike of mine seeing as though I have a zula already

Actualy 1.4kg for such an expensive hardtail frame is heavy, very heavy actually. But thats not the point when it comes to morewood, for example the zula frame is about 300g heavier than my anthem frame. Morewood frames have never been renowned for their wheight saving characteristics, they are known for having perfect geomitry, being rock solid, and exellent rigidity. Hence giving you an almost unparralelled riding experiance.

That said though i wont spend that kind of money on a hardtail frame like the kwela, the zula yes but not the kwela.

If you say "that kind of money" are you referring to the normal/special price? They are currently on special @ R4.5k

If you say "that kind of money" are you referring to the normal/special price? They are currently on special @ R4.5k

That I will pay but not the original R6500.

My Mate broke His GT the other day, He doesnt ride that hard either. So Its not like GT's are unbrakable. On the otherhand I have never broken/cracked a frame and those that know me wil agree I dont hold back. I rode a Santacruz Blur LT for 2 years and swore it was the best bike ever, maybe I stil do, but I wanted something bit more race ready, so I got a Zula based on reviews that One wouldnt have to slow down at all just because Its a XC bike. I agree, Up to a point I was immediately very at home on my Zula, neutral position over bike and loves poping over every bump in the trail. I only start noticing Im not on my blur when I fly into grarly stuff, Its then harder to control for sure, the blur saved my ass a million times but I have slowed down a bit because the Zula is 100% up to a point then suddenly get out of its depth and throw you off ike a stubourne horse. BUT, this is comparing it to a bike wich is in a different catagory all together, and In all fairness I think very few people would dare push the zula that far anyway.. And As Far as I know, that thing aint going to break either. Its built like a brick shithouse, I meen I wouldnt expect it to weigh 2.7kg and not be able to take the hits. Just liek I wouldnt feel comfortable gapping down drops on a 2.2 kg spark or scalpal.

So, Its a damn fine bike, It makes th 4'' work as hard for you as one can expect of a bike, 4'' can only be 4'' long. The geometry is spot on and the bike does cover ground better than my blur did and it climbs better aswell in or out the saddle as long as you keep the fork to 100mm. I found a 120mm reba almost had me on my teeth a few times and it climbed horrable compared to how it can..

Covie IMO 1,4kg for an alu frame is light, considering my GT is carbon and weighs 1,5kg.

Unless there are very light alu frames I'm not aware of ?

The Momsen alu in small weighs 1.6kg, so 1.4kg aint bad for a Kwela. My Zula, large, weighs 2.8kg, very similar to my old Anthem.

Edited by Sawdust

Well I was mistaken about the build in SA then. Thought the factory was in Pietermaritzburg. Feel the same way about the GT. Maybe replacing the Avalance frame with a Zaskar will be a less emotional move.

Did the Sani as well and I felt that 3 days on a hardtail was already an achievement. I don't really do fun rides - recovery happens in the gym. So if the Zula and hard riding goes together I will definitely have a look at it as well.

I did SANI this year on my Zula and it handled like a dream. Its a fast XC bike that climbs like a goat and doesn't skip a beat on fast descent's, tricky switch backs or technical single track.

I have had a Giant Trance X2 and a Specialized Epic Carbon, they don't even come close to the Zula.

Guest Omega Man

I'm pretty sure that's an Indiza. 4x bike. It's got the same swing arm as the Zula but the front triangle is Indiza. Sek-Sho-Earl.

That pic is from Sea Otter last year if I remember correctly. I think it's the bike used by Fabien Cousine. Team Morewood United rider.

Edited by Omega Man

I think that's an Indiza. 4x bike. It's got the same swing arm as the Zula. Sek-Sho-Earl

I think it is based on the Shova.