[Event] Die Burger Mountain Bike Challenge

Dirtopia MTB Events

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup the clap hand and the ask for sweets? flippen irritating ,and when you give nothing they shout "You white people never give anything" Then I told the litei "Loop K@K" which was probaly the wrong thing to say

both last year and this year I ended up on my own through this stretch - last year one of the youngsters hit me on the arm hard enough to leave a bit of bruising and this year one of them picked up a branch and he and his friend chased after me saying they were going to hit me. Probably just an idle threat but it's kinda difficult to out ride them through the thick grass. Think I'll be taking mace with me next year.

Other than that - lekker ride :thumbup:

both last year and this year I ended up on my own through this stretch - last year one of the youngsters hit me on the arm hard enough to leave a bit of bruising and this year one of them picked up a branch and he and his friend chased after me saying they were going to hit me. Probably just an idle threat but it's kinda difficult to out ride them through the thick grass. Think I'll be taking mace with me next year.

You forgot to say that you aslo won the ladies 60km, well done MTBMOM

Well when I went through that section be it alot later than you the lighty still had the stick in his hand trying to get me to stop as he said I had dropped something, I told him to get lost and just rode on. before that the kids were asking for sweets which I said I did not have, then this kids pats me on my rear pocket and feels the raisin packet and tels me I do have sweets, I told him to ..... off.

Next year they should have some marshalls in that section to stop all of this s..t. :angry:

Thanks Inusc. Do you know the exact time? :blush:

Results on racetec winning time 2:39:28

What an awesome race!!!! The 60km had really great single track, some parts a bit congested. My 1st Burger and got seeded B but started with my buddy in C. The only hill that killed me was Botmaskop. I expected a lot worse from the next couple of hills but they were really cool. Oh, and did i mention the single track???!!!! Frikken awesome

My buddy seemed to have left his race legs at home so we did an easy 4:21 although my garmin shows a moving time of 3:53. I still had lots of energy left at Papegaaiberg.. Next year am aiming for 3:30

Although the race organising beforehand was rather crap, the race itself, markers, guys showing the way ect was pretty good.

I wonder how the guys on 29's with camelbaks found that ride underneath the road at delheim? :blink: My helmet was rubbing against the ceiling at the end and i was laying flat on my toptube :lol:

What a thorough enjoyable race!!

You forgot to say that you aslo won the ladies 60km, well done MTBMOM

Well when I went through that section be it alot later than you the lighty still had the stick in his hand trying to get me to stop as he said I had dropped something, I told him to get lost and just rode on. before that the kids were asking for sweets which I said I did not have, then this kids pats me on my rear pocket and feels the raisin packet and tels me I do have sweets, I told him to ..... off.

Next year they should have some marshalls in that section to stop all of this s..t. :angry:

If I'm ahead of you again next year I'll clear the little critters out with my mace!

the only problem i had at that culvert point was getting cramp in my neck...at least it made a change from my legs i guess :blush:

my first time riding die burger and also mtb in stellenbosch, did the 60km starting in E and found some of the gradients insanely tough, but fantastic views and a great route. Those last 2 climbs finished me.

my time was a pretty slow 5 hours, my roadie legs just don't get me across the mucky stuff quick enough

the only problem i had at that culvert point was getting cramp in my neck...at least it made a change from my legs i guess :blush:

my first time riding die burger and also mtb in stellenbosch, did the 60km starting in E and found some of the gradients insanely tough, but fantastic views and a great route. Those last 2 climbs finished me.

my time was a pretty slow 5 hours, my roadie legs just don't get me across the mucky stuff quick enough

Amen Brother!!!

Those laaities still wanted to try their luck with me...but after having one look at my face (and the state that I was in...they knew better than to F^#$^& with a dog-tired dude on a mission...)

All in all...I k@kked on the 60Km. ALMOST missed all the beautiful vistas...like brunsdon alluded to...

That single track (not the first abortion attempt before Hellshoogte crossing!!) was just out of this world! Riding through that closed up tree tunnels sure makes you feel like a surfer riding a huge barrel...only much longer!!

Well oragnise race - I cannot find fault with anything...except they started packing up before I crossed the finish line...got my medal though, but no coke (I had to buy one for R9-00!! It was a bargain at that stage...)

anyone saw the gruesome accident on the R44 afterwards their near helderberg farm? saw A body covered in one of those white blankets and a wasted bakkie, Oh well life goes on I guess...

And does anybody know about the guy lying in the bushes around 35 to 40k mark, looked like he had broken his collar bone, he did have a lot of help at hand, just curious to know if he is ok? :blush:

Amen Brother!!!

Those laaities still wanted to try their luck with me...but after having one look at my face (and the state that I was in...they knew better than to F^#$^& with a dog-tired dude on a mission...)

All in all...I k@kked on the 60Km. ALMOST missed all the beautiful vistas...like brunsdon alluded to...

That single track (not the first abortion attempt before Hellshoogte crossing!!) was just out of this world! Riding through that closed up tree tunnels sure makes you feel like a surfer riding a huge barrel...only much longer!!

Well oragnise race - I cannot find fault with anything...except they started packing up before I crossed the finish line...got my medal though, but no coke (I had to buy one for R9-00!! It was a bargain at that stage...)

that tree tunnel was flipping AWESOME!!

I thought the race route signage was 100s, also a bit miffed the drinks were packed up before i crossed the line (but hey i should ride faster right?), and I thought they could have highlighted a few of those deep gullies running across the trails a bit better, specifically I'm talking about the one on the first real proper descent which I hit quite hard and did a front wheelie for 25 metres trying desperately to style it out and not go flying over the bars :blink:

Edited by touristvisa

agree touristvisa, that first "bump" was dangerous. Saw a girl lying flat out on the side of the track + bike further down the road. There were some marshalls waving a flag as a warning but no triple down arrows. Otherwise a really great event, superb single track etc. Will be back.

I will stop right there and beat the living crap out of both of them...if they don't steal bikes they want to hit us

Aah man, what a great event. My first Burger as well, and probably my favourite event so far! Just loved all the little bits of single track through those trees. I didn’t even mind all the traffic jams, it was so amazing.

That guy who fell at about 31kms broke his arm. Someone came to pick him up and I think he was ok.

I didn’t get any threats from the kids, but did get chased by their dog, which almost bit me!