Photo/Photographer thread.

Wyatt Earp

Ditch the 50 mm. f1.8 and get the f1.4.

The 5D has a bigger sensor, so bear that in mind too.

If I could be blatantly honest, hunt for a 50D and keep her happy with a great camera :thumbup:

Fair enough. And yeah, the 5d has the bigger (and far better) sensor. ITO 50D, I can get a new 7D at a heavily discounted price, so that would be the route I'd go if I were looking for a new camera. Personally, I think the 5D is overkill. Like me buying a Trek EX 9.9SL because my EX9 isn't the ultimate. Stupid, in other words.

And yeah re the 1.8. I agree there.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

based on the east rand, jhb.

was also always just a dream, did it part time for nearly 10 years, then at the end of 2010 my "normal" job contract came to an end, I struggled to find employment and decided stuff this, the time is now, lets do this full time.

been in a similar predicament twice in the last 3 years or so, and everytime i start gaining momentum on the photography side i get a worthwhile job offer, guess its just not my time yet :P

Fair enough. And yeah, the 5d has the bigger (and far better) sensor. ITO 50D, I can get a new 7D at a heavily discounted price, so that would be the route I'd go if I were looking for a new camera. Personally, I think the 5D is overkill. Like me buying a Trek EX 9.9SL because my EX9 isn't the ultimate. Stupid, in other words.

And yeah re the 1.8. I agree there.

if you go the 50 f1.4 route look at the sigma version. i never really recommend sigma but do some research on it. apparently an awesome lens which almost outshines canons 50 f1.2L

I just picked up a canon 50 1.4 at a good price, yet to use it tho.

slightly off topic - finally got use of my canon 100-400 this weekend, wow when you get it right its pretty much tack sharp. very impressed so far with it

ok, a couple of things here.

flash at weddings. it is needed. unless you are going to bring portable studio packs with you need some flash. learn how to use it properly (and get a decent flash) and you wont even know a flash was used.

5d for weddings, yes yes yes. but

kids and frame rate, 7D is better than 5D in this regard.

so after considering the above, if she really needs wants a new camera, then 7D is the one to get.

also, get something like noiseninja software to get rid of that grain at 1600

Awesome. That's precisely my view.

And thanks 4 the tip on noiseninja. Will def check that out.

ITO flash at weddings, it's a personal opinion of mine that flashes should not be used in the church, because it distracts from the ceremony itself. Plus, with a vaulted ceiling, you're going to have to have multiple studio flashes in order to get enough light to bounce to make a difference. You can get away with using a proper lens, without a flash at all.

At the reception, go wild.

ITO flash at weddings, it's a personal opinion of mine that flashes should not be used in the church, because it distracts from the ceremony itself. Plus, with a vaulted ceiling, you're going to have to have multiple studio flashes in order to get enough light to bounce to make a difference. You can get away with using a proper lens, without a flash at all.

it depends on how much light is in the church. I normally push the ISO up and then pop off a small amount of flash for fill. Not enough to annoy anyone, and certainly much less obtrusive than that harsh light the video guys love to use.

On noise ninja, I bought that and something else similar, can't recall the name right now (don't use it that often) but its supposed to be better than NN. Will check what it is when I get home later.

For high ISO nothing beats Nikon .That said the 5D is a awesome camera in low light...for weddings go with the 5D and later get 7D as second body for long shots.The Canon 24-105 lens is great for weddings with a 50mm F1.4 or 1.2.Later get a 70-200 2.8 for candit shots.

Many of the older ministers don't allow a photog to use a flash so you have to rely on natural light.

if you go the 50 f1.4 route look at the sigma version. i never really recommend sigma but do some research on it. apparently an awesome lens which almost outshines canons 50 f1.2L

I just picked up a canon 50 1.4 at a good price, yet to use it tho.

slightly off topic - finally got use of my canon 100-400 this weekend, wow when you get it right its pretty much tack sharp. very impressed so far with it

I did comparisons between the Canon and the Sigma at 50 mm. and opted for the Canon.

I have the Sigma 30 mm. f1.4 and I must say, that lens is the bomb.

it depends on how much light is in the church. I normally push the ISO up and then pop off a small amount of flash for fill. Not enough to annoy anyone, and certainly much less obtrusive than that harsh light the video guys love to use.

On noise ninja, I bought that and something else similar, can't recall the name right now (don't use it that often) but its supposed to be better than NN. Will check what it is when I get home later.

ok, I checked, the product is called noise ware

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7031/6794029029_842240f310_z.jpg

excuse the watermark, i've had motocross images stolen and used in publications before crediting someone else :cursing:

Edited by geecee

It's not a particularly impressive shot, but I needed to put this pic of Chilli somewhere. She went to kitty heaven last night. This pic was taken one morning many years ago when I spent hours following her around, watching her stalk birds.

I miss you, Chills.

post-1604-0-45602300-1327990363.jpg

Hand-developed on Ilford film (400 ASA) and paper. Canon 500. 50mm.

It's not a particularly impressive shot, but I needed to put this pic of Chilli somewhere. She went to kitty heaven last night. This pic was taken one morning many years ago when I spent hours following her around, watching her stalk birds.

I miss you, Chills.

post-1604-0-45602300-1327990363.jpg

Funny how animals become part of our existence, my "wors" is like a baby in the house. Gets away with murder. Thinking of you Barry.

Funny how animals become part of our existence, my "wors" is like a baby in the house. Gets away with murder. Thinking of you Barry.

They do indeed. Thanks, bud.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7016/6794074791_80ac9b0191_z.jpg

Nice shots!

Do you have the lens / aperture / SS details of these shots?

G

Nice shots!

Do you have the lens / aperture / SS details of these shots?

G

that was 10mm f6.3 1/500

the previous was 100 f5.6 1/320

both i feel could have had a slower shutter speed and say aperture of f7.1 or so and i should have 'tracked' the rider more.