What makes a MTB climb better?

RoboLuke

Steel is also easier to work with and mass produce than either aluminum and carbon.

Not so, not when you get in to properly built and heat treated frames.

My comment, way back was "a steel frame" tongue in cheek and quite sarcastic, the answer to the thread topic is simple.

The rider.

Edited by Dangle

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dangle i am gowing to respectfully disagree having worked with a company that have utlized all the above mentioned materials in production, complexity goes

Carbon, 7 series alu, steel (if heat treaded) 5 series alu.

Dangle i am gowing to respectfully disagree having worked with a company that have utlized all the above mentioned materials in production, complexity goes

Carbon, 7 series alu, steel (if heat treaded) 5 series alu.

Then feel free to do so :thumbup:

You tend to also forget the manufacturing process, not the "ease of use" of materials.

But as I said to Caerus, not long before it becomes a snot slogging session where we will debate or master-debate this to no end and never come to an agreement.

The company you worked for might have had a different need for manufacture to a bicycle company.

But then again I have never been exposed to this stuff in my life.

I will even go as far as to say that carbon is not more difficult to work with than steel, it's just more complicated needing more materials, but once the mold is in place, they are a-for-away.

So yes, I bow down and settle this once and for all.

Carbon is the best.

Edited by Dangle

Forgot to add, carbon is lighter, stronger (when done correctly) buy it has nowhere near the liveliness I get from my steel frame.

Forgot to add, carbon is lighter, stronger (when done correctly) buy it has nowhere near the liveliness I get from my steel frame.

See now there I agree with you the alure to steel is the characteristics of the ride of a steel frame.

Its in no way better, lighter or more effeciant as a material, but the "livelyness" give it that certain charm, and thats why some people love steel.

:) ok ill leave you alone now buddy.

See now there I agree with you the alure to steel is the characteristics of the ride of a steel frame.

Its in no way better, lighter or more effeciant as a material, but the "livelyness" give it that certain charm, and thats why some people love steel.

:) ok ill leave you alone now buddy.

:thumbup:

The legs

+1

... and the fit, and then you have to find a climbing position that works for you. But it's mostly the legs!

I climb way better on my heavy dual sus on a good day than I do on my fully rigid carbon bike on a bad day. What did LA say: "it's not about the bike" or something like that...

My garden boy has a bike that looks like that, but he has standard grips ;) and V-brakes

Thanks for looking after me, I have upgraded my brakes and grips :D

Have you ever looked in to steel frames ?

Not the cheap burglar bar stuff, but the stuff from Reynolds.

Sheez, I missed the whole thread!

Look, I can imagine having a steel SS. Honestly, I would LOVE one! But for a pure racing XC machine, is there anything better than carbon?

Funny enough, I read somewhere in a cycling mag that in the near future we are going to run out of carbon.

Look, I can imagine having a steel SS. Honestly, I would LOVE one! But for a pure racing XC machine, is there anything better than carbon?

Funny enough, I read somewhere in a cycling mag that in the near future we are going to run out of carbon.

I've heard this as well, conspiracy theory perhaps? Along the lines of global warming :unsure: That way they can justify the cost

Edited by Caerus

Firstly , what is your definition of pure XC.

Secondly, no matter if it's steel, carbon or alloy, it depends as to who is turning the pedals.