Clamping gear cable to XTR front derailleur/ Rear derailleur indexing

Weight Weenie

Hey all

Decided to build my parts over from my old zaskar to the the new frame.

Just having 2 small issues.

1) I have a dual pull XTR M970 front derailleur(the normal type without the "X", just the cage) and after cutting off the cable crimp and pulling the cable out the old frame, the cable now seems too short to fit the new frame though its all the same(frame etc.), didnt take the cable out the housing or anything.

I had the front shifter in the small chainring and tried taking up as much slack in the calbe manually as possible, but still the cable was too short to get routed in the derailler itself and be clamped. So either the derialleur itself is not correctly positioned, I need to pull harder/take up more slack(maybe adjust cable tension at the shifter?) or I need a new cable as its now too short after removing the cable end ? Any other ideas ?

2) I also just bolted on the whole rear derailleur and cable assembly, shifting is fine but it now does not use the 2 top cogs and want to overshift once it reaches the smallest 11t cog. I presume this means the high/low limit screws need adjustment ?

I'm only starting to work on my own bike now so some guidance would be appreciated, this is very foreign to me :blush:

Had a look at shimano tech docs and googled a bit but no cigar.

For the first problem, release the cable... meaning using your shifter to let the cable go out as far as possible, I think you already done that.if its still to short get a new cable

2nd problem, yes its the limit screws, play around with it, its the best way to learn.

RE limit screw , I found it is so much easier to remove the chain and then set the limits . use a ruler to align .

well when setting the limit screws what i find works for me is stand the bike upright against a wall or use a bike stand, then looking down the length of the bike from the back, with the cabble completely removed/loosened as well as the chain removed push the derailer by hand all the way that it will go in terms of the direction of your biggest cog, then adjust the limiting screw so that the top jockey wheel lines up with your biggest cogs teeth then leave the derailer to go by itself to the smallest cog and tune the other limiting screw so that the top jockey wheel aligns with your smallest cog, then with your shifter set to its looses reattach the shifter cable (ps: its a good idea to have the twister thingy on the shiter so that its halfway from all the way loose and completely tightened)

once the cable is reattached play around with the fine adjustment on the shifter, to get the cable at 100% correct tension. and if you find that the changing to your biggest cog needs a quite a bit of force on the shifter to get it to click (dont push too hard, as you dont wanna break your shiter) loosen the limiting screw for the beggest cog a little so that it clicks as easily as it did before.

then take your bike for a spin and make any tiny adjustments needed to get shifting 100%

well when setting the limit screws what i find works for me is stand the bike upright against a wall or use a bike stand, then looking down the length of the bike from the back, with the cabble completely removed/loosened as well as the chain removed push the derailer by hand all the way that it will go in terms of the direction of your biggest cog, then adjust the limiting screw so that the top jockey wheel lines up with your biggest cogs teeth then leave the derailer to go by itself to the smallest cog and tune the other limiting screw so that the top jockey wheel aligns with your smallest cog, then with your shifter set to its looses reattach the shifter cable (ps: its a good idea to have the twister thingy on the shiter[/b] :clap: :clap: :clap: so that its halfway from all the way loose and completely tightened)

once the cable is reattached play around with the fine adjustment on the shifter, to get the cable at 100% correct tension. and if you find that the changing to your biggest cog needs a quite a bit of force on the shifter to get it to click (dont push too hard, as you dont wanna break your shiter) loosen the limiting screw for the beggest cog a little so that it clicks as easily as it did before.

then take your bike for a spin and make any tiny adjustments needed to get shifting 100%

Pheew. Now breathe......

Edited by The Drongo

Pheew. Now breathe......

ok ok my punctuation wasn't the greatest.

and about the twister thingy, i have no idea what its technical term is for it, but i'm pretty sure you know what i'm talking about :lol:

For yer front der. setup:

Check the following: At the gear lever/shifter - make sure the barrel adjuster is ALL the way in first BEFORE you try and set the cable at the der. Just check at the bottom of your frame were the front der cable goes that it moves freely through the frame BEFORE you connect the cable. Also make sure that the cable moves freely inside the housing BEFORE you connect it to the der. If it still seems too short, have the LBS replace it.

PS. Make sure the der. is on the correct height on the seat tube! Use the markings on your old fram as a reference.

For the rear job:

I agree on the limit screws. (remove the chain - it is just easier)

Then follow the same as above:

Make sure the cable moves freely through the housing before you connect it ip.

Make sure the barrel adjuster is all the way in before you connect the cable. (What I sometimes do is turn the barrel adjuster all the way in and then 1-2 turns out. And leave it there.

If there is a barrel adjuster on the rear der. do the same with it as the one on your shifter.

Connect the cable making sure it it tight and the der. is in the smallest cog. (unless you have a rapid rise then put it in the biggest cog)

Oh, and make sure the shifter is in the right "gear" as well before you pull the cable tight! :D

And if you still sukkel: I have the RIDE of JUNE 2010 that shows step by step with piektjirs how to setup your gears. From start to finish! It is all yours if you want it!

And if you still can't sort it - you have my number.