Cranky but hot!

patches

What's the verdict out there on these Hammerschmidt cranks?

price issue.. and takes some getting used to. Not sure of mtbf (mean time between failure), has anyone seen a long term test?

oh yes, Descendant.. light and strong.

Edited by Pain or Shine

haha! I thought MtbBarbie would have voted for the pink faded Race face, haha!

I see there's a company in the UK that makes protective decals for Saint cranks

http://cache0.bigcartel.com/product_images/26174863/Saint_pro_04.jpg

here's one with a red chainring:

post-10758-0-49037200-1309356103.jpg

See how sick it looks with the red chainring! You know you want Saint! DO IT!

patches what length cranks you after? Going from 175mm to 170mm made a huge difference to my jump bike and it just seems to have settled it down a bit. If those cranks as listed above are your only options go for the Saints :thumbup:

nox1111 I'm also itching to go the BMX crank route so maybe a little order to CRC should be placed :whistling:

Edited by missionS

What's the verdict out there on these Hammerschmidt cranks?

From what I've heard, Hammerschmidt is amazing for FR and AM bikes. Instant shifting (no need to pedal to shift), can shift under heavy load or no load.

But like Pain or Shine said... price! Last time I priced them I think I was looking at about R7000 for the crank and shifter.

patches what length cranks you after? Going from 175mm to 170mm made a huge difference to my jump bike and it just seems to have settled it down a bit. If those cranks as listed above are your only options go for the Saints :thumbup: nox1111 I'm also itching to go the BMX crank route so maybe a little order to CRC should be placed :whistling:

Yeah, I'm gonna go for 170mm length. 165mm would probably be too short.

So far it's sounding like the Saints

Edited by patches

patches what length cranks you after? Going from 175mm to 170mm made a huge difference to my jump bike and it just seems to have settled it down a bit. If those cranks as listed above are your only options go for the Saints :thumbup:

nox1111 I'm also itching to go the BMX crank route so maybe a little order to CRC should be placed :whistling:

sorry for the mini hijack!

Deffo the way to go - have a look at my jumpbike here: https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/83680-post-ur-jumptrials-bikes/page__st__40__p__1207636__fromsearch__1#entry1207636

I have been riding those really hard on street, park and dirt and scratches are all wear they show.

What bike setup are you running?

I see Nigel is running descendant cranks on his superlight GT Fury. Maybe he can tell us how they compare.

the descendants are as stiff as the saints ... and lighter ... 822g compared to 1059g for the saints! But it comes down to cost id say as you putting them onto your jump bike so weight is not a MASSIVE problem. If you were putting them onto your DH race bike i'd say go descendants ... but for jumping ... the saints have a good name!

nox1111 I will post a picture of my jump steed under the jump bike thread as I don't want us to derail this thread :blush:

I was JUST about to post those ... :drool: :drool: :drool: I am so getting those ... plastic cranks to match my plastic bike! SWEET! :thumbup:

...you aiming to hit 15kg?

Edited by patches

the descendants are as stiff as the saints ... and lighter ... 822g compared to 1059g for the saints! But it comes down to cost id say as you putting them onto your jump bike so weight is not a MASSIVE problem. If you were putting them onto your DH race bike i'd say go descendants ... but for jumping ... the saints have a good name!

Price wise the Descendants are a little cheaper than the saints (once one adds a chainring to the Saints)... but like you say... I'm not needing a 16-odd-kg rac steed like your beauty... so weight isn't a major issue.

I was JUST about to post those ... :drool: :drool: :drool: I am so getting those ... plastic cranks to match my plastic bike! SWEET! :thumbup:

and I bet the XO DH comes at a price to max out one's plastic! :lol:

nox1111 I will post a picture of my jump steed under the jump bike thread as I don't want us to derail this thread :blush:

... don't worry MissionS, I'm not a 'thread-nazi' so derail away if you like :lol:

or this: Weight - 809g I assume without BB and bolts, but could be wrong...

post-2231-0-06639400-1309422385.jpg

Edited by nox1111