Enve road wheels

LOOK695

Anybody else agree with the statement on the hubs? The spokes are Sapim and the holes are not drilled,but are moulded as part of the manufacturing process. Enve claims this makes for a stronger rim

Don't stare too blindly at the fact that the spokes are made by Sapim. It's a little bit like that Hyperama bike with "21 speeding gears"* and full suspension that sells for R999-00 - it too has a Shimano sticker on the rear derailer.

SAPIM makes good spokes and straight-gauge spokes. It is the latter you want to avoid.

As for the holes moulded rather than drilled? This is marketing hype.

Rims fail from fatigue and today's drilled holes dont cause failures, so why bother moulding them? I bet this is just a cheaper way of creating the holes and the advertising department then post-rationalised the method.

Strength and Strong are two dubious words in the bike industry. We almost never don't have enough strength. We almost always don't have enough durability for the product to last over many millions of stress cycles.

I always tell the Stronger Brigade that if they carry on like that, we'll soon have Bic ballpoints made from Titanium -0 they will be stronger than plastic after all.

* I kid you not. You can buy one of these marvels for a mere R999-00.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lightweight wheels use DT Swiss hubs, as far as I know. :huh:

Another reason to think twice before spending a fortune.

Edited by Christie

I got me a set of these yesterday, weighing in at 1440 grams, full carbon clinchers with titanium skewers and brake pads, got it at a special price but they retail for around R9500

Best value for money by far!And excellent wheels as far as hubs/spokes combo goes as well :clap:

I got me a set of these yesterday, weighing in at 1440 grams, full carbon clinchers with titanium skewers and brake pads, got it at a special price but they retail for around R9500

Best value for money by far!And excellent wheels as far as hubs/spokes combo goes as well :clap:

Where can I get more info on those wheels?

(Google didn't offer much info.)

Weight, spoke count, weight limit, hub specs etc.

Hi Splat

Weight is 1440g per wheelset. 50mm Rim profile - Full Carbon. 20H Front and 24H Rear. Built with Sapim CX-Ray spokes. Hubs is the X-Neo CNC Machined hubs. 2 Sealed Bearings in the front hub and 4 at the back. Casette body comes in Shimano and Campag.

PM me for more info.

No weight limit as far as I know...know someone who weighs 110kg's using it and it lasts...

Its amazingly fast wheels tho, i can get you a pair :P

Previous edition Edge wheels are Solomons.

http://www.solomons.co.za/files/EDGE.jpg

what!! Speak to Edge_Design he can get you a better deal

Different companies. The Enve wheels are built by an American company, formerly called Edge Composites.

Edge Design is based in Taiwan.