To the @sses on the Krugersdorp highway yesterday

Sammajoor

Welcome to the hub. In case you haven't noticed, your mature, well balanced point of view will not be tolerated, even by those who have been bestowed with the responsibility of moderating the level of maturity of the responses to these posts.

Thanks Velo

I had to read your post twice just to make sure i understood you correctly.

Its all good though. :thumbup:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Velo

I had to read your post twice just to make sure i understood you correctly.

Its all good though. :thumbup:

I know, what a mouthful. You must excuse me, Klingon is my first language and I struggle a bit with the English.

Guest agteros

Well my hope is that clubs will start to play a more active role in educating their members. And maybe some of the member like Mr Macarena will see the light some day that a vehicle can do alot of damage when colliding with a human body.

Have you been at the start of a Cyclelab Club ride? Do you have knowledge of what jmaccelari knows of vehicular impacts?

The biggest danger for cycling is not motorists, but rather cyclists themselves.

Responsibility for actions are not in the hand of a club (or ANY club), but in each and every cyclist INDIVIDUALLY. Cycling clubs, nor CSA, cannot fix the attitudes and safety approaches of cyclists, just like car enthusiasts, nor MSA, can fix the attitudes and approaches of motorists.

To come on here and bitch and moan is really like preaching to the choir. Wrong audience, completely!

Have you been at the start of a Cyclelab Club ride? Do you have knowledge of what jmaccelari knows of vehicular impacts?

The biggest danger for cycling is not motorists, but rather cyclists themselves.

Responsibility for actions are not in the hand of a club (or ANY club), but in each and every cyclist INDIVIDUALLY. Cycling clubs, nor CSA, cannot fix the attitudes and safety approaches of cyclists, just like car enthusiasts, nor MSA, can fix the attitudes and approaches of motorists.

To come on here and bitch and moan is really like preaching to the choir. Wrong audience, completely!

Agteros

I agree with part of what you say. It is up to the individual. But if that individual is a on a club organised ride then the club should enforce certain rules and etiquette.

There needs to be a certain level of control on a club ride.

Guest agteros

Agteros

I agree with part of what you say. It is up to the individual. But if that individual is a on a club organised ride then the club should enforce certain rules and etiquette.

There needs to be a certain level of control on a club ride.

And then, if the riders (who might not even be a current paid up member), disregards the instructions (shouting / gesturing / pleading / whistles, etc) of the group leader (who is not paid for this - a coffee & muffin cannot be deemed payment!)? What THEN?

And then, if the riders (who might not even be a current paid up member), disregards the instructions (shouting / gesturing / pleading / whistles, etc) of the group leader (who is not paid for this - a coffee & muffin cannot be deemed payment!)? What THEN?

Surely it is a group effort? am i missing the point here or is safety not a big issue?

Surely it is a group effort? am i missing the point here or is safety not a big issue?

Riding in a "peleton" like faux racers are more important.

The aforementioned club does do that, do they get it right all of the time, certainly not. They are one of the most proactive clubs in combatting the problem though, which also being one of the largest clubs, is no small task.

Not all rides are club organised either, there are plenty people out riding together on club kit on their own informal rides. Which is completely outside of a club's scope to marshall, unfortunately.

It comes down to the individual's sense of abiding by the rules, and we all know how that works in general when we get on the road with any form of transport.

Guest agteros

Surely you know that accidents only happen to 'other people'?

I've turned around on club rides where the group just could not give two hoots about their own safety, despite the best efforts of the group leaders . I did not go and moan to the club about it, as there is nothing they would have been able to do, other than letting me vent (hopefully).

Cyclists are anonymous on the road, and with a club ride (not just Cyclelab) everybody looks alike - adding to the anonymity. A sure recipe for "disaster" (or behaviour as exhibited here on the hub)

Other than pleading/preaching/warning before a club ride and shouting during a ride , what can a club do to its members out on the road to force them to obey the rules?