Am I just getting old or?.

Ox_Wagon

Are MTB race routes designed with the assumption that people will be riding full suspension bikes?  The 45km(?) Cradle to Cave route had a lot of fun section and way to many not so fun section where the course cuts across fields with clumps of grass(?Gras polle?) that rattles the fillings out of your teethOuch.   These sections are almost unrideable on a hardtail and really unenjoyable.  I don?t know if it is any better on a full susser? I expect to get a few replays of ?If you can?t stand the heat stay out of the kitchen?.LOL<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Now for a philosophical question for all the full sussers, from someone considering going that route:

?What is the use of mountain biking if you insolate your self from environment by a hi-tech suspension system that soaks up the irregularities??Shocked

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Come of it man, we used to ride more technical terrain on rigid bikes!!

Time to get a Corporal in here, "Bester, you see that leaf!!!!!" Big%20smile

Are MTB race routes designed with the assumption that people will be riding full suspension bikes?  The 45km(?) Cradle to Cave route had a lot of fun section and way to many not so fun section where the course cuts across fields with clumps of grass(?Gras polle?) that rattles the fillings out of your teethOuch.   These sections are almost unrideable on a hardtail and really unenjoyable.  I don?t know if it is any better on a full susser? I expect to get a few replays of ?If you can?t stand the heat stay out of the kitchen?.LOL

Now for a philosophical question for all the full sussers' date=' from someone considering going that route:

?What is the use of mountain biking if you insolate your self from environment by a hi-tech suspension system that soaks up the irregularities??Shocked

[/quote']

You mistakenly believe that mtb'ing should be performed on smooth  manicured paths, with plenty of overtaking space and some (but not too many) gentle climbs and descents.  And that loose gravel stuff, leave it out in the wilderness.

seriously buddy, I reckon you are barking up the wrong tree of sympathy.  mtb'ing is about going places that are not on the beaten track, about landing the drop off, riding the baby heads in one go with out falling your brains out.  Mud and wet roots, keep it coming!  The more technical the better the euphoria when you finish.  If you aren't broken at the end it wasn't good enough.

AS for your philosophical question, well.... what's the problem with using technology?

You say make is as ruff and technical as possible and the turn around and use technolagy to make it smooth manicured paths, THAT defeats the object.LOL

Don?t take it so seriously.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

To make it hard core it should be as ruff and technical as possible and on a rigid single speed.

haha Face it you are just getting old !!! And it is at this point where your body can not take the beating anymore that you should look at a full sus bike . It makes the ride more enjoyable , if I wanted to torture myself I would do roadie races !

hmmm, did not consider a full susser as making it smooth and manicured.  I always thought it just got you through the rough stuff quicker.   Single-speed might be hard core but I like the application of advancement more... then I can always say "I was going along at pace when (insert current component you want to replace here) fell apart, and was forced to go old school" Wink

I ride a FS mainly and hate 'gras polle' too, And dry fields where cows walked through when it was muddy. They're just not fun.

And yes - a FS does isolate you from the trail - one of it's disadvantages IMO.

Its fairly simple to me, keep life as simple as you can, and unless you are pro you having NOTIN to prove to anybody, so do what works for you.  Its all comes down to traction, with a 4x4 you spend money on fancy suspention systems etc to keep traction, why not on MTB? 

Ive been through the whole hog, started with cheap bottom of the range hard tail.  Always had fun but kept on upgarading etc etc.  After getting a real decent hardtail, I still ended up buggered after 40km's. Then I put a peg in the sand and spend real cash on "exactly what I want, after having pounded my way through MTBR.Com etc, ended up getting v good frame and building good h.tail components over, now, I am not looking back. 

Bottomline, unless you go pro you have nothing to prove to anybody, get yourselves the one and only bike that does it for you, go for the top of your affordability "curve", i.e. get the best you can afford, thats the bottomline, but will be well worth it.  NB - consider ongoing maintenance costs....

After all said and done, I would rec dual susp, but ONLY if you can afford a mid/top range one.

Love riding past the manne with the expensive bikes on "Tractor" my cheapie Wheeler hardtail. If the tyres are the right pressure you shouldnt have any hassles.

To make it hard core it should be as ruff and technical as possible and on a rigid single speed.

the most fun i've had in years was on that roughish downhill before the midway point at the cratercruise on one of the those bikes. my kidneys and testicles swopped placesDeadand the chain came off twiceAngrybut it was coolThumbs%20Up 

and oxo cube, lot of mtbers have different bikes for different conditionsBig%20smile  

I enjoyed the ride. I think races like this and Magoebaskloof is what MTB is all about. Good mix of different terrain, the dolomite in Cradle to Cave really keep you on your toes and combined with the polle gras means you really had to be very accurate with tyre preassure to balance anti pinch and ride quality/traction. Throw in some muddy slipperies and it became a test for MTB skills. Not often you find that in a 40k race! Great job Werner. Remember next year to at least have a section for us over 40 outoppies. I cannot race young Niel Theron, but I can fight my own size!

Love riding past the manne with the expensive bikes on "Tractor" my cheapie Wheeler hardtail. If the tyres are the right pressure you shouldnt have any hassles.

well said from a relative newbie. oi, and where were you on sunday?

A Dual taking something away from riding the trail I heard somebody say !!!! I have yet to see a HT fly past me on the downhill . A Dual is just streets ahead when it comes to the technical stuff . But yes on the flat dusty roads of Parys a few "cheap" bikes with reflectors on the wheels has over taken me . But there is no reason a so called cheap bike should be slower that my expensive bike ! Or is there ?

A Dual taking something away from riding the trail I heard somebody say !!!! I have yet to see a HT fly past me on the downhill . A Dual is just streets ahead when it comes to the technical stuff . But yes on the flat dusty roads of Parys a few "cheap" bikes with reflectors on the wheels has over taken me . But there is no reason a so called cheap bike should be slower that my expensive bike ! Or is there ?

what have you got against parys?LOLyou dissed the cratercruise too!