Old Helshoogte Pass

pererace70

While I'm procrastinating at work, did everyone enjoy the 'climb'?

It was a bitweak grad. wise (not that I mind by the way, I'm not exactly a mountain goat) - in A we were touching 30km/h before I punctured (about 1 third the way up).

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While I'm procrastinating at work' date=' did everyone enjoy the 'climb'?

It was a bitweak grad. wise (not that I mind by the way, I'm not exactly a mountain goat) - in A we were touching 30km/h before I punctured (about 1 third the way up). [/quote']

enjoyed the climb....i'm not a big climber but had some good training in before.  Looking forward to next year....just glad that I did not have the misfortune of puncturing.....

was a nice climb, I think the VA bucn only averaged about 25km/h for the 6.7km distance. I thought it was kinda fast, my HR was kinda High, like in the 185bpm range for  the last 1km or so, think I AV about 173bpm for the entire distance going up.

While I'm procrastinating at work' date=' did everyone enjoy the 'climb'?

It was a bitweak grad. wise (not that I mind by the way, I'm not exactly a mountain goat) - in A we were touching 30km/h before I punctured (about 1 third the way up). [/quote']

Wasn't too bad, some sections still a bit rough on the tar, but quite manageable. The twisting road further up slowed things down a bit.  Enjoyed the shade of the trees. My last climb up "New" Hels was at 34 Degrees  celcius which made it really tough.

Thumbs up!

I also thought it was a great climb with a bit of a sting in the tail at the end.

But what was that idiot doing driving down (red golf I think) when we (VA) were starting up? And why did the organisers not make sure this didn't happen!?!

was a nice climb' date=' I think the VA bucn only averaged about 25km/h for the 6.7km distance. I thought it was kinda fast, my HR was kinda High, like in the 185bpm range for  the last 1km or so, think I AV about 173bpm for the entire distance going up.[/quote'] 

Yip, VA did 26.0km/h.  Had an avg hr of 177 which is skewed seriously towards the top of the climb! (my max is 199). 

26kph ave was a serious cruise. All I can say is a big thanks to StringBean for ripping my legs off the week before.Thumbs%20Up

Luckily we didn't go up at his pace cause I was blown to pieces.Ouch

thx for the warning! damn, forgot what it feels like to get dropped on the hills, but it'll happen for sure next year@!Cry

Good point, where was Stringbean on Sunday?  He's been smiling deviously everytime he mentions Helshoogte, but I never saw him on Die Burger.

Good point' date=' where was Stringbean on Sunday?  He's been smiling deviously everytime he mentions Helshoogte, but I never saw him on Die Burger.[/quote']

Epic trainingBig%20smile

Also got THE LOOK from my wife as i was wheeling my bike out of the house.Put the bike back inside and took kids to see Barney.Sometimes you just know HIER KOM K@K

Also got THE LOOK from my wife as i was wheeling my bike out of the house.Put the bike back inside and took kids to see Barney.Sometimes you just know HIER KOM K@K

LOL I feel your pain!  Sometimes you have to loose the battle etc....

Hopefully you get to win the Epic war!  Does that mean you arenot going to hurt us in the summer league?  I am relieved.

• 11 years later...

Eleven and a bit year old thread!  Well done!

It was last time I went up there, but that was over a year ago now so not really relevant.

I will strongly advise about going up there alone.

And with the SE blowing, a lot of the bluegum branches breaks off and lands in the roadway, so you will have to dodge them (and the ones still hanging from the tree by a sliver of bark)