Prices of second hand bikes....

tunariaan

...also depends if you've upgraded anything.

I beleive there is a sliding scale, the more expensive the bike was bought for the lower the percentage it can be sold for.

Eg: you buy a R75000 bike, sell it for R30000

You buy a R15000 you can sell it for R12000.

And what about a custom build bike? Everybody knows that if you build a bike form (new) parts it will cost about 50% more then an equivalent off the shelf bike. And if it's a brand that no one knows then you have to take an even bigger knock.

I bought a 2nd hand raleigh RC3000 in 2009 and just before the argus i sold it for a profit :), so i guess it also depends on what bike it is.

I bought a 2nd hand raleigh RC3000 in 2009 and just before the argus i sold it for a profit :), so i guess it also depends on what bike it is.

somebody already took that "first" knock, and you obviously got it for a great price, or a you are a good salesman. ;)

We are talking about people walking into a said concept store, buys a top end carbon bike and after a month or three decide to take up road cycling rather or join the 29'er craze. They then expect to get 80% of the bike's retail value...not gonna happen.

When its a custom build bike, I reckon people will notice the nice components but once again...you are not going to get even half for what you paid for them, especially on wear and tear items like cranksets

Yes, i agree a low end bike holds its value much better.

My current road bike was one of those instances when people who bought it new and after a month traded it in, half price and you could still see the tyres were unused.

A custom bike is never going to hold it's value because it doesn't have anything to compare to.

In general bikes don't keep value unless they're under or around R6000.

There seems to be little demand for road bikes at the moment and there are deals to be had. Solomon's had some awsome prices on their winter sale. ( 2011 Madone 5.9 for 25 000, hub prices 19000 to 29000. Full Ultegra Fuji for 9000 and more. Even at these prices they did not fly out of the store.

Sportsmans Warehouse had some entry level Avalanch bikes with 9 speed sora's eventually marked down to 2999. I haven't seen many older 8 speeds advertised for less on the hub.

It only a bike , no service plan no warranty on the frame for second owner, a custom bike is like a brand new bmw that gets traded in with R100 000 worth of sound system, you just not getting anything back, once a bike is ridden and used it should loose 40% or so of the value you paid for it, with carbon even more

The thing is, is that compared to the euro, the rand has not gained much so even though the italian bikes (some of them) are overpriced the gap is now getting bigger between american and european brands making it even better to go for american or locally produced bikes, besides the hassles of frame warranties with italian brands.

Not at all saying that they aren't good bikes, just expensive.

So what you are saying, if someone wants to buy a Ferrari, he should not because he can get a cheaper (and effectively crappier car, cause no matter what else you buy, it will still not be a Ferrari) from another country with no warranty issues?

By the way, how many warranty issues have you had? We have distributors right here in SA, on the hub even, with the likes of ASG and their services are top class! :thumbup:

When buying top end bikes (were the premium Italian brands feature, they dont cater for the Game/Pick n Pay buyer) the difference between bikes from different countries is not that big. It is an emotional purchase and concerns like exchange rate and import duties have left the building long before you are ready to sign on the dotted line.

But remember that lots of new bikes come with *** component to bring the price down....

If they want good bike with good component, the price will be too high like R40-R50 000...

It is better to study the price and component before you spend money...

There seems to be little demand for road bikes at the moment and there are deals to be had. Solomon's had some awsome prices on their winter sale. ( 2011 Madone 5.9 for 25 000, hub prices 19000 to 29000. Full Ultegra Fuji for 9000 and more. Even at these prices they did not fly out of the store.

Sportsmans Warehouse had some entry level Avalanch bikes with 9 speed sora's eventually marked down to 2999. I haven't seen many older 8 speeds advertised for less on the hub.

I have an approx. 2000 model Bianchi (alu frame) with a mix of 105 and Ultegra parts - I would expect more than R2999 for my ride. Sora is K@K! Avalanch is most likely heavy..... I want my Colnago M10 NOW!!! *sigh*

*switches off pc and sobs in corner*

People who are not in the know often only remember the total price they paid for their entry level bike at Cajees, they forget that was including helmet, shoes, shorts, pump etc and try to recover that total price when they sell.

I have an approx. 2000 model Bianchi (alu frame) with a mix of 105 and Ultegra parts - I would expect more than R2999 for my ride. Sora is K@K! Avalanch is most likely heavy..... I want my Colnago M10 NOW!!! *sigh*

*switches off pc and sobs in corner*

:lol:

Hang in there, man...

What separates Bikes from Cars are the upgrades many owners make...

My last bike had major upgrades and it really raises the value of the purchase.

:thumbup: