Today's rant - lack of helmet weights!

Eldron

Most bike manufacturers list weight of frame before fitting BB housing and paint and decals.

If helmet manufacturers had to give weights then my guess is it will be without pads and straps ;)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The MET Steadivarius is quoted at 199g but comes in at around 210g.

Right now it's between the MET Stradivarius and the Spez Prevail...

I had a Stradivarius that i really liked but it cracked in a fall and i got the Bell Sweep but has never really felt right.

The Sweep has started pulling apart on the shell and when i replace it,it will be with a BBB Falcon that weighs 225gr and is made by Met.

At the risk of sounding like a complete nerd....Spez claim it weighs 185g - it actually weighs 228g (med). How can they get it that wrong? C'mon.

The MET Steadivarius is quoted at 199g but comes in at around 210g.

Right now it's between the MET Stradivarius and the Spez Prevail...

Considered the Giro Aeon? Also claimed sub 200gr - I think 185gr.

Huh? You want me to wear a German on my head?

Did you mean this helmut, you may even get in in carbon fibre

post-24908-0-04746100-1310657742.png

I have a digital foodscale. I take it in the shop when I shop :-)

The wife stays in the car for some reason

Is the scale yours or the wifes? :D

I use my wifes and never take her with....i am scared she sees what the stuff i buy costs :lol:

Scale is mine....I got it especially to weight tires, saddles, seat posts,handlebars...you will be surprised to see how much the manufacturers lie

Sorry for the hi-jack

I know,and especially with wheels and frames.I have seen claimed weights to be up to 300 grams more on some carbon frames.That's in a smaller size to.

Edited by gummibear

The weight some helmets have printed on them are in anyway wrong!

My friends Rudy Project Zuma stands on 267g when I weighed it 330 grams

My bell Sweep it said 320g ,but when I weighed it 300 grams!

It's a bit of a rock and hard place. Tough to find a LBS that stock BBB, Giro, MET and Bell - I was internetting for info before I bought from a LBS - I agree on sticking it on your head before buying.

Ah well - back to the search...

Will you wear a BB even if it is the lightest? The pros frown upon this brand. Yes I know they are used int he TDF but so are other BBB products but you do not see it on any SA bikes. What if Silverback made a very light helmet and were also ANSI and TUV approved, will you wear that?

It's a bit of a rock and hard place. Tough to find a LBS that stock BBB, Giro, MET and Bell - I was internetting for info before I bought from a LBS - I agree on sticking it on your head before buying.

Ah well - back to the search...

try http://www.obike.co.za/Products/ProductsList.aspx

only Bell and Giro though, full spec list

+1 on the Specialized stuff....... they are good

Will you wear a BB even if it is the lightest? The pros frown upon this brand. Yes I know they are used int he TDF but so are other BBB products but you do not see it on any SA bikes. What if Silverback made a very light helmet and were also ANSI and TUV approved, will you wear that?

I will indeed. Much as I am a bike slut and collect the things like saddle sores I don't own any italian exotica or the like. All my bikes and equipment are strictly "blue collar" and are aimed more at best compromise of performance, price and looks rather than what name appears on the down tube.

I actually quite like the Silverback Sphere and Sida! Would you believe buycycle don't quote the weight? Silverbacklabs neither. Ahhh the irony.