Upgrading to 29er?

JGdp

29er's are just a fad.

If you only ride marathons then get one, but if you do XC and a bit of downhill then don't.

At UCI Marathon Champs i'm sure there were lots of people on 29'ers but at XCO world cup there are very few.

In the top 10 there are only the Specialized riders and 1 of the cannondale riders on a 29'er.

A 29'er is just a ploy by the bike industry to get you to buy another bike, it's not an all round bike.

only good for marathons.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chaps chaps - I thought this had been settled by Herr Sauser. 26 for Xc and 29 for Marathon and stage racing.

Kulhavy may disagree

A 29'er is just a ploy by the bike industry to get you to buy another bike, it's not an all round bike.

only good for marathons.

I think you need to make your mind up Zac - good for marathons but only a markwting ploy?

By winning the last few xc round on a 29er duallie I think Kulhavy has proven that there is very little performance difference from 26 ht through to 29 DS.

It comes down to buyer choice - if you're into lightweight buy a carbon 26 ht - comfort then 29er duallie. Compromise? 29 ht. Price? Alu. And of course - any number of those combinations...

I think you need to make your mind up Zac - good for marathons but only a markwting ploy?

By winning the last few xc round on a 29er duallie I think Kulhavy has proven that there is very little performance difference from 26 ht through to 29 DS.

It comes down to buyer choice - if you're into lightweight buy a carbon 26 ht - comfort then 29er duallie. Compromise? 29 ht. Price? Alu. And of course - any number of those combinations...

What I meant was that they are good for marathons but the bike shops (some) are making them into the best bike no matter what discipline you are riding.

What I meant was that they are good for marathons but the bike shops (some) are making them into the best bike no matter what discipline you are riding.

Mr Money

i still dont get htf an XC bike can be more expensive than a full blown DH sled. I thnk this blind insistence on all things marathon is skewing the prices to favor those hell bent on making big bucks outta little deals, the point of excluding that which we really need: more AM dual sussers.

I'm with you here, mate. More material in the buildup of bikes, more R&D and MUCH more pioneering technology comes through in the DH environment. Not to mention MUCH bigger forks, the necessity of making things MUCH stronger whilst keeping it (relatively) light, as well as just the plain SIZE of the things compared to xc...

The mind boggles.

Guys.. Eish.. we've been through this all before.The oke needs a 32er........

and a 29 inch sink ;)

post-20718-0-01649200-1310801039.jpg

Guys.. Eish.. we've been through this all before.The oke needs a 32er........

and a 29 inch sink ;)

I thought this was going to be a big debate between the two groups- 29er vs 26, but I also agree, for us "normal" okes, it would come down to the personal choice, and if its worth the money in the end!! I still think I'd be better off with the 26inch and maybe spending money on a nice trip or few components and such!! Thanks for all the replies-the hub has a way of sorting things out FOR you!!