Help Identify this frame and fork!!

loveme.DH/FR

hmm still not sure.. the reviews on MTBR say its super sweet.. and can get up to 12inches of rear travel.. not the best DH bike but great for freeride and big drops....

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks like a 165mm shock, so to squeeze so much travel out of it can't be that good an idea...?

ya, after closer inspection between the bike on offer and the bikes poster here.. It looks like the rear suspension is slightly different. Where the one i could get takes a much shorter shock and doesnt look adjustable....

looking at this thing and that price.. <_< almost makes me want to donate you my xtension. that thing was supposed to go to The Wall...i'm conflicted.

hmm still not sure.. the reviews on MTBR say its super sweet.. and can get up to 12inches of rear travel.. not the best DH bike but great for freeride and big drops....

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I still wouldnt go that way! dude that shock thats on the bike you are looking at has a stroke length thats shorter than an okes knob in the arctic! :thumbdown:

I somehow doubt that that will EVER give you 12 inches of rear travel - and with a headangle like that you'll need to try and see if you can fit a cane creek angleset headset just to get it sort of right!

I'd move on if i were you!

Offer Schwinn guy - R3500, then you can get the bike serviced - older bikes are unfortunately exactly that - older.

Parts that were top of the range back then has seen 10 years or so - might need some TLC. And the parts are most probably not readily available anymore for standard maintenance on shocks, pivots etc.

You might in fact get the same bomb-ability out of a decent new-ish 5" bike and for not a whole lot more money - plus you can pedal it up the hill.

Sorry man, not trying to step on your DH glory dreams - just saying be careful! I have stepped in that thorn bush and can laugh about it now - back then it cost me money on top of money to keep everything in running order.

Edited by nox1111

Guest Omega Man

well thanks to all of you for your input! really awesome, the collective knowledge availabe these days!

saw a schwinn Straight 8 for sale for 4k! complete, think thats a good bike, its also old but apparently was pretty good.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/7619-schwinn-straight-8-dh-bike-m-l/

I would buy that bike but only to hang in my bar.

There's a Giant DH team for 5k, A Morewood Izimu for 7.5k and another Giant DH team for 9k on Guntree Cape Town.

Those are MUCH better bets if you are looking for a sub 10k DH bike.

I know these are a bit more, but have a look here:

http://capetown.gumtree.co.za/c-Stuff-for-Sale-sports-bicycles-fitness-Morewood-Izimu-Down-Hill-Mountain-Bike-W0QQAdIdZ269963712

http://capetown.gumtree.co.za/c-Stuff-for-Sale-sports-bicycles-fitness-Giant-DH-Team-Downhill-bike-W0QQAdIdZ278163874

http://capetown.gumtree.co.za/c-Stuff-for-Sale-sports-bicycles-fitness-Mongoose-BlackDiamondDbl-DH-FR-W0QQAdIdZ298368569

http://capetown.gumtree.co.za/c-Stuff-for-Sale-sports-bicycles-fitness-Giant-DH-team-downhill-bike-W0QQAdIdZ288455479http://capetown.gumtree.co.za/c-Stuff-for-Sale-sports-bicycles-fitness-Giant-DH-team-downhill-bike-W0QQAdIdZ288455479

The last Giant team is the owner of Woodstock Cycleworks' own ride - offer hom what you can afford, see what he says - he's a good guy and I know the bike would be well maintained.

These are not new, but the parts would still be common, easy to find and would be trustworthy steeds that will last you for a good couple of seasons.

Good luck!

well im not a total newb. to DH, just a stingy fellow, that works for himself... my current ride is an 06 Giant AC. But the frames to small, and the shock botoms out real easy. It also feels super sketch when i bomb hills with it.. and is def holding me back.

I dont really want to spend too much cash.. being a freelancer i never know when my next invoice will be paid... :-/

I like the idea of the Straight 8.

And ill donate the AC to my GF. I really want to get her involved! (more trail riding for her i guess)

at 4k that Schwinn isnt too bad - but be prepared to cuogh up another grand or so to get it up to good running order and to how you like it!

But looking on gumtree and the classifieds here id say thats your best BUDGET bet!

• 2 weeks later...

Well the Scwhinn straight 8 has been sent today! Cant wait to get it put together, and onto the trail.

Apparently the scwhinn straight 8 had a really good suspension design, with almost no peddle bob, and was very efficient.

Gonna change the color similiar to the new mongoose boot'r grey and lime green... maybe.

Well thanks again for all the info.

Peace!

Oh - that is for a bike!! Slap two wheels on there and you ready to go!

Problem solved and i will never again visit this thread (but i did bump it for you - pleasure!).

you forgot the groupo too but you were on the right track.... :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: