Momsen 29er...in Reynolds steel :)

Griffin

The first run of frames was only 6.... and they took ages to sell..... the market is smaller than you think...

Even more reason to support them as a brand. Most other brands would've parked the project cause surely the time and and effort required does not justify the pay-off. But they're doing it cause they love or support it or believe in it. None of this we only do what makes us tons of cash.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A local brand would be designed/manufactured in the local country.

All the brands you mentioned are international, who has a problem with that?

You are trying to deflect the point of my post and that is you are trying to influence the market for a brand as in the example from Malcolm Gladwell's books, a common marketing strategy in the electonic age.

As far as supporting local talent goes, all brands do that to a degree, it's called advertising. If they got no exposure for it they wouldn't do it.

So what's your take on Nandos, woolworths, Mr Price and Spur? Not local anymore? They all either source product from international suppliers or have expanded internationally. Does that not make them local businesses? South African businesses?

Crow has no affiliation to any manufacturer. He is an unbiased rider, reporting on what he likes and appreciates in a bike and relaying that information when it becomes relevant to other potential buyers.

No marketing there. Just honest advice or reporting. Same as when someone posts a link to a pinkbike article on a ccdb cs shock. It's relevant to us the cycling community. Why begrudge someone hus own opinion, simply because it doesn't fit your predefined criteria?

aaaaaah although its isn't a lie, it could be a "half truth" as you pointed out. Like I said, the SS specific market has a particular palate and you can charge what you want if you get it right.

The first 6 all went to West Rand Cycles, and I am sure that the relative scarcity of them generated a lot of calls about where to find them - I am sure the current set will be more widely available.

Interestingly I have seen a couple of STR's run with gears... not really sure why one would do that, but it IS a nice ride, and one I recommend - if you can find a frame.. because I am sure there wasn't a container full imported...

Momsen is as local as Swift/Silverback is (run by South Africans). And no it's not a compliment. You started banging on about Momsen Bikes about the same time Victor stopped his activity on The Hub.

Wow, sand in your vajayjay much?

Damn i want one of these so much but do i really need another bike..............................aaaaah

Picking my very green str up this arvy from my lbs...cant wait...will post feedback after bashing the Baakens and other trails this dec!

Enjoy, I will keep an eye out for a green steel machine on the trails.

Damn i want one of these so much but do i really need another bike..............................aaaaah

Yes. I can't imagine you have any more questions, but in the unlikely event you do, please refer to chart below

http://www.adventure-journal.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/adventure-journal-charting-adventure-how-to-tell-if-you-need-a-new-bike.jpg

Edited by The Crow

Enjoy, I will keep an eye out for a green steel machine on the trails.

Yes. I can't imagine you have any more questions, but in the unlikely event you do, please refer to chart below

one time Brian!

http://www.adventure-journal.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/adventure-journal-charting-adventure-how-to-tell-if-you-need-a-new-bike.jpg

Picking my very green str up this arvy from my lbs...cant wait...will post feedback after bashing the Baakens and other trails this dec!

If you see a white one after Christmas, it might be me.... if it has a powertap rear wheel, it's definitely me... :)

A friend recently got the white one and he is running it as an SS (most parts from his old AL529 used for the build). Brilliant Bike!

I would love to build one up (yes, I need a new bike, and don't have a 29er). But building from scratch is very expensive! But then again a R20k-ish build with all the parts you like is probably not that bad.