Tokai: :thumbup: :thumbdown:

(Deon)

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks GRB! A lot of blood, sweat & monster went into that trail!

Yeah that's clearly so. Whoever lifted all of those rocks needs a few beers ;)

I'm sad I wasn't able to contribute, my time has been strange with work etc. I will keep the next slot open in my diary though.

Well done!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from a very wet & wild session up there. AWESOME AWESOME trail lads. I'm really glad I didn't gun it right away, and chose to roll it to see what it's about. Lots of great bits. I really like the fact that some sections don't have chicken runs. Makes commitment a big part of the route. Beautifully built as well. The berms are crazy good, and those sharp lip rock booters are great. I only got a couple of runs in before the heavens opened up and I had to retreat. I ended up taking a pretty massive wipe out on a trail above boulders. Stoked to see such great trail work, inspiring. 10/10

Man, it sucks balls to live in the Northern suburbs...it's just such a mission to get to Tokai from there. You guys have all the fun... :(

Yeah that's clearly so. Whoever lifted all of those rocks needs a few beers ;)

I'm sad I wasn't able to contribute, my time has been strange with work etc. I will keep the next slot open in my diary though.

Well done!

Mayhem! He was mad, lifted all them rocks solo.. well except the one that got away! That one just kept rolling, damn big mutha of a rock, no-one was going to chase it!! Work systematically stopped as this boulder rolled down below each work group.. Jaws dropped!

Cool to be able to offer a trail to those who have so few! Big up to all who have been building.. but it's not over yet. Phase two will start next week; the extension, x3 berms and a few more features. (more AM than DH, but fun it will be!!)

Man, it sucks balls to live in the Northern suburbs...it's just such a mission to get to Tokai from there. You guys have all the fun... :(

er, mission?? N1, M3, Tokai main rd, park, ride!

See you soon!

Mayhem! He was mad, lifted all them rocks solo.. well except the one that got away! That one just kept rolling, damn big mutha of a rock, no-one was going to chase it!! Work systematically stopped as this boulder rolled down below each work group.. Jaws dropped!

Cool to be able to offer a trail to those who have so few! Big up to all who have been building.. but it's not over yet. Phase two will start next week; the extension, x3 berms and a few more features. (more AM than DH, but fun it will be!!)

Haaa, maniac! Classic. Wld have been funny to see that.

Phase 2 sounds cool. Is that off to the right again just before the bottom of this new trail?

er, mission?? N1, M3, Tokai main rd, park, ride!

See you soon!

Ha ha! Ja boet, it takes about 45 minutes by car from my house to Tokai (assuming zero traffic). So that unfortunately rules out weekdays completely as I only leave work at about 5h30. So I basically need to make it a full day at Tokai if I go there over weekends. Cos, obviously you wanna learn the track and the only way to do that is to repeat it a bajillion times.

Ha ha! Ja boet, it takes about 45 minutes by car from my house to Tokai (assuming zero traffic). So that unfortunately rules out weekdays completely as I only leave work at about 5h30. So I basically need to make it a full day at Tokai if I go there over weekends. Cos, obviously you wanna learn the track and the only way to do that is to repeat it a bajillion times.

It's all about priorities I guess. You could always drive out at 5:30am, hit the trails by 6:15, by 8am leave for work. I live about 30 mins from Tokai, so I usually schedule work and meetings around 2 hour sessions there, and work late to make up the diffs. I love having the park to myself. Less chance of anyone seeing me cry ;)

Sounds like you need a definite reason to drive out. We can always arrange that, I'm quite keen to check out your Tracer in the metal ;-)

Ahh i get so jealous when i hear people discussing how they managed to ride during the week with a

9-5 job during the week including traffic (cause that does become part of the daily working hours)

I get home and its 7.00pm and to late to go Ride even though im 10 Minutes away from Tokai forest.

PS anyone keen on rounding up DH riders for a fun day at Tokai ??

Sounds like you need a definite reason to drive out. We can always arrange that, I'm quite keen to check out your Tracer in the metal ;-)

Ha ha! Ja cool, I'll make a plan. Otherwise you must pop through to Jonkers one Sunday morning. That's our usual riding spot from around 08h00. Bought the year pass at Jonkers, so now I need to make use of it! I think I have in fact seen your 5.5 evp in one of my previous visits to Tokai. Still a kick ass bike! One of my riding buddies is getting the new Tracer 2 frame. Obviously can't wait (and the poor oke has been waiting for 3 months...)

It's all about priorities I guess. You could always drive out at 5:30am, hit the trails by 6:15, by 8am leave for work. I live about 30 mins from Tokai, so I usually schedule work and meetings around 2 hour sessions there, and work late to make up the diffs. I love having the park to myself. Less chance of anyone seeing me cry ;)

Ugh, unfortunately I'm working in the Financial Management department of our company (...yes, CA's too can mtbike!), so my work day starts around 7 ish. So no go for cycling in the mornings before work. :(

Ha ha! Ja cool, I'll make a plan. Otherwise you must pop through to Jonkers one Sunday morning. That's our usual riding spot from around 08h00. Bought the year pass at Jonkers, so now I need to make use of it! I think I have in fact seen your 5.5 evp in one of my previous visits to Tokai. Still a kick ass bike! One of my riding buddies is getting the new Tracer 2 frame. Obviously can't wait (and the poor oke has been waiting for 3 months...)

Good point, I definitely need to get to Jonkers again soon. That singletrack is awe-inspiring, way better than Tokai overall, if you're into really technical stuff!

Will let you know if we plan to head that way one weekend...

Seen my 5.5? If you were on the Tracer I would've definitely noticed :)

Good point, I definitely need to get to Jonkers again soon. That singletrack is awe-inspiring, way better than Tokai overall, if you're into really technical stuff!

I had a Trek EX9 before the Tracer and I think it was during that time that I saw someone (possibly yourself) on a 5.5 at Tokai. I actually pointed the Intense out to my friend, as it's so rare to actually see one in the flesh.

But ja boet, pop over to Jonkers sometime. The riding is a bit different than Tokai. A bit more rocky and "tricky" if you can call it that. Certainly a test for your powers of concentration. And far less crowded than Tokai.

There are definitely pro`s and con`s for Jonkies

The single track is insane BUT there isnt much else which is enjoyable.

Tokai single track could be longer but the Jeep track extends quite far, whether you want to ride Noordhoek peak or do the mast.

It obviously all depends which is your home trail, Tokai is mine.

I take a trip out to Jonkies at least once a month just for the single track, so I make it a mission to ride down twice and up once. (Up direction when its quiet)

Ahh i get so jealous when i hear people discussing how they managed to ride during the week with a

9-5 job during the week including traffic (cause that does become part of the daily working hours)

I get home and its 7.00pm and to late to go Ride even though im 10 Minutes away from Tokai forest.

Hey, come through on Sunday at 3pm.. should be a good turnout.

Guest Omega Man

You should get some lights and hit it after dark. I've never tried it myself but it's deff on the to do list for me.