Tokai: :thumbup: :thumbdown:

(Deon)

OK, so who's riding tomorrow? All the tracks are SICK! WOW what a run today! Still buzzing..

Omega, you get back to work.. ha (but if you want to ride night when you are back, let me know.)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Omega Man

if you want to ride night when you are back, let me know

Sweet. I'm deff keen. I'll bet I'll be the first person ever to ride up tokai at night on a DH bike.

Sweet. I'm deff keen. I'll bet I'll be the first person ever to ride up tokai at night on a DH bike.

Night time brings out a totally different Tokai. Every trail that you know like the back of your hand suddenly become fresh again. Just cruising down the singletrack is a completely different experience. One's depth perception is different with riding lights and strange shadows catch you out, sometimes little drops or bumps look big, sometimes you don't even see the big ones coming. I don't know about riding the DH in the dark, but I recommend you get the meanest brightest lights you can find, perhaps those things they use at Newlands, one on the bars and one on the helmet, and then do the first run slowly anyway. Great fun at night, not to be taken too seriously, just enjoy!

Ja, can't wait..

DJR, he could ride with his eyes closed and still reach the bottom unscathed. What catches us unaware, will have him laughing all the way down. What is the Morewood, 200mm travel?

My nephew and I were riding in Tokai on Sunday, I must mention that on a number of the single track sections whilst we were coming down. Riders coming up were all pulling over to allow us to enjoy the single track and not have to worry about stopping. So to those fellow riders who pulled over to the side and allowed us to pass through without stopping coming down the single track, THANK YOU VERY MUCH :-) you made the ride just that much better :clap:

My nephew and I were riding in Tokai on Sunday, I must mention that on a number of the single track sections whilst we were coming down. Riders coming up were all pulling over to allow us to enjoy the single track and not have to worry about stopping. So to those fellow riders who pulled over to the side and allowed us to pass through without stopping coming down the single track, THANK YOU VERY MUCH :-) you made the ride just that much better :clap:

Isn't there supposed to be an up route and a different down route? I ask this purely as a roadie who wants to take the 8-speed Colnago up there ...

Isn't there supposed to be an up route and a different down route? I ask this purely as a roadie who wants to take the 8-speed Colnago up there ...

Not 100% sure, but I always insist on riding up the jeep tracks then back down the single tracks just to be on the safe side. We passed ppl coming up the Mamba and the Boomslang!

gwhite, LeTurbo, glad this came up.

FYI, any route marked as 'Downhill' is purely for that purpose and is not to be ridden up. All other singletrack is bi-directional - and if there has to be a hard and fast rule as to who has right of way? That would be rider coming up.

later

FYI, any route marked as 'Downhill' is purely for that purpose and is not to be ridden up. All other singletrack is bi-directional - and if there has to be a hard and fast rule as to who has right of way? That would be rider coming up.

later

So the rider coming down the single track will need to break, dismount his bike and let the guy cycling up the single track continue and only then the guy coming down is allowed to carry on going down?

So the rider coming down the single track will need to break, dismount his bike and let the guy cycling up the single track continue and only then the guy coming down is allowed to carry on going down?

Yes, you could do that, or just apply logic and caution for the situ.

Your choice.

If the rider coming up pulls over, what you have done here by publicly thanking them, is good for all. The issue of riding uphill can sometimes be blown out of proportion and it is mainly due to a lack of courtesy on the trail. Guys come here and rant and the cycle (get it) starts over again. Please, let's not make this anything like what happens out on the road.. God no!

Use your discretion out there and keep smiling.

PS, you dismount if encountering horse riders..

Edited by Pain or Shine

later

Im sorry but I don't believe in this whole right of way thing on the bi-directional trails, no reason why the guy coming up cant ride on the left or inside of a turn if someone is riding down. Same goes for the guy riding down, stick to the left or go where the rider riding up is not occupying the trail. Now everyone is happy, right?

Glad to hear Mr White experienced some good manners from fellow riders this is great and the way it should work.

Yes, you could do that, or just apply logic and caution for the situ.

Your choice.

If the rider coming up pulls over, what you have done here by publicly thanking them, is good for all. The issue of riding uphill can sometimes be blown out of proportion and it is mainly due to a lack of courtesy on the trail. Guys come here and rant and the cycle (get it) starts over again. Please, let's not make this anything like what happens out on the road.. God no!

Use your discretion out there and keep smiling.

PS, you dismount if encountering horse riders..

Haha... I know, trust me I am not here looking to start a argument or rant. I simply came here to thank those who pulled over whilst my nephew and I were coming down the single track. We never expected it, like you said it came down to common sense and the discretion of the guys coming up the single track.

All in all a very good ride and thanks again to those chaps who pulled over. Much appreciated and its something that I have been showing my nephew. Simple smile and thank you goes a very long way!

Edited by gwhite

A bit of thought.. the reason for the rule is for the sake of the uphill rider not needing great effort to get going again. Out on the gradual slopes though, it won't take much effort to get going so the logical thing would be to let the downhill (downward directional) rider pass by undisturbed. Unless you want him to stop, nothing would have been lost and you can take in some of the view.

For the steeper slopes. If there is no space to pass safely, the downhill (directional) rider should /instead of must/ let the uphill rider pass.. nothing worse than not making an uphill technical section.

It works both ways for those who don't want to bother with rules, but you should at least know them.

Haha... I know, trust me I am not here looking to start a argument or rant. I simply came here to thank those who pulled over whilst my nephew and I were coming down the single track. We never expected it, like you said it came down to common sense and the discretion of the guys coming up the single track.

All in all a very good ride and thanks again to those chaps who pulled over. Much appreciated and its something that I have been showing my nephew. Simple smile and thank you goes a very long way!

Rock on gwhite..