Doctors Against Helmet Laws

Guest agteros

So can I pose a question?

If available funds were capped, which would be better -

a) To enforce helmet wearing in cyclists under the age of 15, or

B) Spend an equivalent amount of money on road use education for that rider?

Edited by Fitter

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wear one purely for self preservation... Having it on my head greatly increases the odds of me being able to walk away from a "tumble"...

Was in France in the '80s and the verb "porter" means "to carry" as well as "to wear".

Heaps of kids on bicyclettes and scooters would have their helmets on their arms, getting around the law.

On your point, its about perceived risk & having got to 46 I figure my assessments are not working out too badly so far. Of course, if i was the paramedic who posted, i'd never get on a bike.

I dont have any contents insurance either, choices, freedoms, safety.

So can I pose a question?

If available funds were capped, which would be better -

a) To enforce helmet wearing in cyclists under the age of 15, or

B) Spend an equivalent amount of money on road use education for that rider?

I vote

C) proper driver training and road law enforcement, with proper penalties for motorists that kill cyclists. That would make the problem disappear.

Was in France in the '80s and the verb "porter" means "to carry" as well as "to wear".

Heaps of kids on bicyclettes and scooters would have their helmets on their arms, getting around the law.

On your point, its about perceived risk & having got to 46 I figure my assessments are not working out too badly so far. Of course, if i was the paramedic who posted, i'd never get on a bike.

I dont have any contents insurance either, choices, freedoms, safety.

Absolutely. Perceived risk is an argueable point, however one could argue the point that not stopping at a red light may be perceived as a low risk activity depending on the time of day, traffic congestion etc. According to the written law it is illegal though. With refference to the 1800's laws quoted earlier, if they form part of the modern day law they are still valid and by deffinition you can technically be arrested/fined for breaking them however absurd they may seem. By getting to 46 without wearing a lid is an acheivement. My argument is thatI managed to make it to 40 by wearing mine... Both arguments valid only one complies legally.

Anyway, enough of this tag ****. I made my point. It is a personal choice like putting you child in a car seat I suppose. I am going to go and enjoy my long weekend.

....By getting to 46 without wearing a lid is an acheivement.

:huh: ??

I always wear one.

Happy weekend.

Just because someone if a Prof. does not mean you should believe what they say or write - ask my wife - she believes nothing I say and I am a Prof. :D :D

I use a helmet as it is simply common sense to do so - no science needed for me to protect my nob.

Just because someone if a Prof. does not mean you should believe what they say or write - ask my wife - she believes nothing I say and I am a Prof. :D :D

I use a helmet as it is simply common sense to do so - no science needed for me to protect my nob.

Depends what you mean bu nob? I think I see where your wife might be coming from.