Doctors Against Helmet Laws

Guest agteros

•  
  • It's not the law here;
  • The vast majority of cyclists don't wear helmets;
  • It's a good idea to wear one;
  • You shouldnt be fussed about what the other guy does or doesn't do.

The Uk figured helmets were a disincentive to people taking up the sport so would rather have the benefits of less cardio problems in the population, than enforce a helmet law.

Also the rights of Uk road users increase as their size decreases. It's pretty civilised over there.

I am not sure exactly where you currently live but it looks to me like you live in Jo'burgh somewhere.

According to the National Road Traffic Act, 1993(Act No.93 of 1996). and I quote from Chapter VI, Part II Regulation 207:

"(2) After expiry of three years from the date of commencement of this regulation, no person

shall drive or be a passenger on a pedal cycle on a public road unless he or she is wearing a protective

helmet which fits him or her properly and of which the chin straps is properly fastened under the chin.

[Reg. 207 substituted by r. 41, GNR. 2116 w.e.f. 5 October 2001.]"

That would bring that law into effect from October 2004. The fact that it isn't enforced properly doesn't mean that it isn't law. (According to the document that I have on file)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if its changed, but i was in California in the 90's and in that state there was no law forcing you to wear a helmet on a motorcycle!!! owes crusing the highways on Harley's with no helmets!!!??

When my mom was having treatment for lung cancer, many moons ago, her oncologist was a smoker.

Doctors are not necessarily the sharpest tools in the shed, no matter what they want to think.

I will choose to wear my helmet, and not smoke.

I work in emergency services and all too often I have collected cyclists from falls and noticing damages to helmets I could clearly state that if those cyclists had not worn their helmets their brains would come off 2nd best against the road, rocks or a tree. Often I see cyclists be they commuters or kids that dont wear helmets and they sustain injuries that could be avoided. I dnt understand the point of the research anyway by testing whether a helmet helps or not. No wonder the results were inconclusive. Its a choice between being able to tell the story about your accident or having to feed yourself through a tube attached to a bag and have someone else wipe your ass and change your adult diaper for the rest of your life or even having your family cry at your funeral. A helmet would not save you injuries or death all the time but it definitely minimises the risk immensely. Whether you are commuting , training or just taking your bike around the corner after a wash wear your helmet and do so for your kids as well. It just takes a kid to fall over with their bike from a stationary position and knock ghier head to cause some serious damage. If wearing your helmet doesnt make you look cool buy a cool helmet.

I am not sure exactly where you currently live but it looks to me like you live in Jo'burgh somewhere.

According to the National Road Traffic Act, 1993(Act No.93 of 1996). and I quote from Chapter VI, Part II Regulation 207:........................

It's not law, its not enforceable as it is prejudicial to the majority and there are no penalties set for its transgression.

You do, however, need to have a bell. :)

Edited by Joe Low

It's not law, its not enforceable as it is prejudicial to the majority and there are no penalties set for its transgression.

You do, however, need to have a bell. :)

Have another read through the entire Regulation 207 below which applies to both motor driven and pedal cycles...

207. Compulsory wearing of protective helmet

(1) No person shall drive or be a passenger on a motor cycle, motor tricycle or a motor

quadrucycle, or be a passenger in the side-car attached to a motor cycle, on a public road, unless he or

she is wearing a protective helmet—

(a) which is specially designed for use in connection with such cycle; and

( b ) which fits him or her properly and of which the chin strap is properly fastened under

the chin.

(2) After expiry of three years from the date of commencement of this regulation, no person

shall drive or be a passenger on a pedal cycle on a public road unless he or she is wearing a protective

helmet which fits him or her properly and of which the chin straps is properly fastened under the chin.

(3) The driver of a motor cycle, motor tricycle, motor quadrucycle or pedal cycle shall ensure

that any passenger in or on such cycle who is younger than 14 years, complies with the provisions of

subregulation (1) or (2), as the case may be.

(4) Notwithstanding the provisions of subregulations (1) and (3), the driver and passengers of

a motor cycle—

(a) equipped with a seatbelt anchorages that comply with the requirements of standard

specification SABS 1430 “Motor vehicle safety - anchorages for restraining devices in

motor vehicles”, for the driver and passengers (if any);

( b ) the engine of which can not move unless the driver and passengers (if any), of the

motor cycle wears the seatbelt referred to in paragraph (a); and

© that complies with the requirements of annex II of the standard specification SABS

1440 “Motor vehicle safety - The steering mechanism of motor vehicles (M1 only) -

behaviour on impact,

may drive or be passengers on such motor cycle on a public road while not wearing a protective

helmet.

[Reg. 207 substituted by r. 41, GNR. 2116 w.e.f. 5 October 2001.]

There is a regulation that states that you need to give way to a vehicle sounding a bell though... ;)

Edited by Grebel

I'm happy with my understanding of things, thanks.

If you're in the Uk you might want to be careful not to:

[*]Wear armour to Parliament (Royal Prerogative 1279)

[*]Fire a cannon close to a dwelling house (Met Police Act 1839)

[*]Bet or gamble in the library reading room (Library Offences Act 1898)

[*]Use any slide upon ice or snow (Town Police Clauses Act 1847)

[*]Drive cattle through the streets of London (Metropolitan Streets Act 1867)

Also illegal to book into a hotel room under assumed names, with the intention of having sex.

I also believe that its illegal to eat mince pies at Christmas from Oliver Cromwell's puritan days but this may be an urban myth.

The argument that its a personal decision is moot in motor accidents, seat belts are compulsory in every country in the world in some form or other, one assumes there is some quantitative research behind this that suggests they do save lives.

I am totally against nanny states, but I believe in certain legislation, we do not all accept responsibility equally, nor do we anticipate the future equally, I know you are an intelligent person who takes matters seriously, however not everyone thinks like that, so although some legislation may and usually dos impinge on our sense of responsibility, it dos not mean it is equally so across the nation.

I agree completely with the helmets and safety belts saves lives part but still believe it should not be a legal requirement.

I believe in "Darwinian Law" meaning that if the person will remove themselves from society without taking someone else with them then it shouldn't be law (like helmets and front safety belts - rear should be compulsory because people in the rear will kill people in the front in the case of heavu front impacts).

If the result will endanger other people then by all means make it a legal requirement because then the stupid people can endanger me without me knowing (explosives, fire hazards that kind of thing comes to mind).

I do get your point that not everybody assesses danger in the same manner but I don;'t believe law will ever save stupid people from themselves. The expression "hold my beer while I try this" comes to mind :D

Where's a pic of the disposable corrugated cardboard helmet when I need it? I believe it's proven more effective than those plastic domes.

Myself, I love the freedom of being helmetless, it gives such a different feel to riding, it's incredible. Wind in your hair, that's lovely - like a convertible versus a sedan.

When it's my time to go, I'll go. All this "just in case" - well, then I should be walking around with a bible in my pocket "just in case" I get shot in the heart.

I'm happy with my understanding of things, thanks.

If you're in the Uk you might want to be careful not to:

[*]Wear armour to Parliament (Royal Prerogative 1279)

[*]Fire a cannon close to a dwelling house (Met Police Act 1839)

[*]Bet or gamble in the library reading room (Library Offences Act 1898)

[*]Use any slide upon ice or snow (Town Police Clauses Act 1847)

[*]Drive cattle through the streets of London (Metropolitan Streets Act 1867)

Also illegal to book into a hotel room under assumed names, with the intention of having sex.

I also believe that its illegal to eat mince pies at Christmas from Oliver Cromwell's puritan days but this may be an urban myth.

I've always enjoyed the (urban legend?) that says it's law to keep both hands on the bars at all times plus the contradicing law that states you need to remove your hand from the bars to indicate when you're turning.

Poked if you do poked if you don't!

There should be no law!! Its a common sense thing. If I go running at night I wear reflective clothing if I quickly walk to the shops at night I don't bother.... I'd be well annoyed if I got arrested or fined for that. Same goes when riding my bikes.

All research into whether wearing a helmet or not saves you is flawed because you can't say with certainty that it would.. I'm mean what are you going to do? Convince some guy to ride into a wall with a helmet, then pick him up, dust him off, remove the helmet, get him to ride into the wall again and see if it kills him?

If I go ride I wear a lid because it COULD save me not because it WILL.

Its not difficult to test, a dummy is rigged with electrodes connected to a computer, the dummy simulates a human and is forced into natural accident situations, so it skids through the air and lands on its head at a certain speed - the forces register through the electrodes on the computer, the helmet is examined, and its easily used as a comparison to a human in the same situation.

I hear you on the reflective stuff, but could you not get flattened on your walk to the shop just as easily as your 20km run.?

Of course you will agree you can, because its just obvious, but this is the point of legislation, to force everyone to wear a seat belt, helmet, whatever, all the time, not just when you are driving long distance or riding a race for example, we cant and don't foresee the future and reasonable legislation protects everyone, even those who cant speak for themselves, your infant kids for example.

Where's a pic of the disposable corrugated cardboard helmet when I need it? I believe it's proven more effective than those plastic domes.

Myself, I love the freedom of being helmetless, it gives such a different feel to riding, it's incredible. Wind in your hair, that's lovely - like a convertible versus a sedan.

When it's my time to go, I'll go. All this "just in case" - well, then I should be walking around with a bible in my pocket "just in case" I get shot in the heart.

I am guessing that's tongue in cheek,.......?? :unsure: .... or you are single fella and your only responsibility is yourself.?... for the rest of us however, with responsibilities like wives and kids to consider, and who would like to play with their grandchildren one day, it would be nothing short of irresponsible and foolish.

....but I know ya just trying to provoke me hey.!! :D

@Joe Low: Lets agree to disagree. I kind of see where you are coming from and we are argueing around in circles here. :thumbup:

@Joe Low: Lets agree to disagree. I kind of see where you are coming from and we are argueing around in circles here. :thumbup:

Sure, that's fine :thumbup: - I wear one out of fear on the roads and peer pressure. If I was out of town, I wouldnt bother so much.

it's law to keep both hands on the bars at all times

That is law for a motorcyclist in SA. I regularly break it though to thank motorists that make room for me to split.

Sure, that's fine :thumbup: - I wear one out of fear on the roads and peer pressure. If I was out of town, I wouldnt bother so much.

I wear one purely for self preservation... Having it on my head greatly increases the odds of me being able to walk away from a "tumble"...