Carte Blanche expose

Cippo

Some hubbers didn't even 'know' about the whole initiative that Dangle, Troy et al started despite the numerous threads in this regard. Had they not seen it on Carte Blanche it seems they would still be oblivious .....

It clearly has had an effect!

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as being a decent piece of investigative journalism - it wasn't.

It was not meant to be investigative...more "informative" ie creating awarness!

You want answers...

People in SA did not even knew it was a problem.

Is your real name Derek by any chance? :)

Yes I have read what you wrote and it doesn't change my opinion about the piece. As far as getting the word out goes yes it was great, a whole bunch of people watched it and awareness was generated. As far as being a decent piece of investigative journalism - it wasn't. It is a shame because Carte Blanche has set very high standards with some great pieces of journalism in the past. Perhaps it might have been worth them waiting a couple more weeks to get some actual answers? Perhaps there aren't actually answers like we are hoping with syndicates buying bikes overseas and all sort of conspiracy theories. Perhaps it’s just a bunch of starving people who have recognised an opportunity to make some "easy" money. That is a reality of South Africa.

You really don't get it, do you ?

Carte Blanche run stories investigative journalism, this is the start of it, if they had more info, they would have shared it.

If more people got off their backsides and became proactively involved instead of criticizing ,then we could perhaps get to the heart of where these bikes are going.

A private investigator has been employed, he costs a fair amount of money, a fund has been set up where cyclists can donate to the cause so we can pay Henk in order for him to get to the root of the problem.

You wont believe how few have contributed.

Also if you have followed Carte Blanche over the years, they thrive on the success of a follow up story.

We were fortunate to get that segment, Cart Blanche as any other organization ,runs on a budget, the fact that they allowed some of that to our story, is positive and bloomin amazing.

It clearly has had an effect!

Take me for an example: I have joined the FB group and made a donation. Before last night I haven't even give this a second thought. Plus I did not even see the program - my wife told me about it via SKYPE. It scared the **** out of me thinking of all the times we went cycling and something bad could have happened. (It won't stop us from going out and doing what we love) But I don't ever want to be in the sitution were I could have done something but didn't!

They were nervous.

We had quite a few police officers there as well as the Colonel who runs our precinct.

They would ask the peeps where they got the bike, some gave their bosses number and then the police would call and correlate the story.

People don't realise the impact of something like that, it pretty much helps in cutting off a buying market.

How some might ask ?

The word has now spread very fast through Jo'Burg that one should not just buy just any bike being offered as it might just be a stolen bike.

Where people were happy to spend like a R 1 k. on a nice mid end bike, they are now thinking twice, realising that the cops and cyclists are on to them and that they will lose the bike and ultimately their hard earned cash and they could also face arrest for buying stolen goods.

I just want to add one thing to all the keyboard warriors who sit on their asses and complain about how little was done.

The impact that awareness creates, is bigger than some might think.

I think it's definitely taking an effect already. There have been no reports of any jackings over the last three weeks or so.

Carte Blanche run stories investigative journalism, this is the start of it, if they had more info, they would have shared it.

If more people got off their backsides and became proactively involved instead of criticizing ,then we could perhaps get to the heart of where these bikes are going.

A private investigator has been employed, he costs a fair amount of money, a fund has been set up where cyclists can donate to the cause so we can pay Henk in order for him to get to the root of the problem.

Also if you have followed Carte Blanche over the years, they thrive on the success of a follow up story.

We were fortunate to get that segment, Cart Blanche as any other organization ,runs on a budget, the fact that they allowed some of that to our story, is positive and bloomin amazing.

I get it fine and like you I am delighted that they ran something at all. It doesn't change the fact that the report itself was cr@p and basically told us nothing other than people are getting hijacked on their bikes. In that I am dissapointed.

I get it fine and like you I am delighted that they ran something at all. It doesn't change the fact that the report itself was cr@p and basically told us nothing other than people are getting hijacked on their bikes. In that I am dissapointed.

This story was not intended for you boet!

So please let us know how YOU would have done differently from your armchair? That way the next time there is something you will have contributed instead of just complaining.

What did you want to hear ?

Facts of which we don't have the information of yet.

So here is a thought, donate some money so the investigator can get those facts for us.

This story was not intended for you boet!

:thumbup:

So please let us know how YOU would have done differently from your armchair? That way the next time there is something you will have contributed instead of just complaining.

It is perfectly acceptable to be critical of things. It is how things change and get improved upon.

Ho-hum - perhaps it is me that is at fault for having high expectations but I really was looking forward to more.

It is perfectly acceptable to be critical of things. It is how things change and get improved upon.

Ho-hum - perhaps it is me that is at fault for having high expectations but I really was looking forward to more.

If you want more than make a donation...and there will be "more".

Contribution sent. Post the link everytime you post please, or another idea - let us post it in our signatures!

Edited by eccentric1

Folks are having a tough time in the W.Cape as well - there have been quite a few postings on this site about bike jackings in the CT/'Bosch areas.

It hasn't started happening here in KZN yet, so I still feel relatively safe riding on my own. But give it time.

I've got an uneasy feeling that last night's show put a whole lot of ideas into certain low-lifes' heads. I'm sure a lot of gangsters sitting down to their Sunday night dinner were watching too, and all of a sudden realised how much these bikes are actually worth. Here's hoping the show doesn't actually cause more criminals to get into the 'game' :unsure:

Look, don't get me wrong, the show was very necessary. And I applaud all of you who have been involved in this initiative. From me to you, thanks. But at the same time, I couldn't help that sense of dread. It seems to be just two parts of the country at the moment, but it's still early days.

Yea I fully agree, We mite land up with more of these bike jackings.

Yea I fully agree, We mite land up with more of these bike jackings.

You guys are seriously underestimating these crooks.

If you all think that they only realised last night what the value of these bikes are, you are in for a big surprise.

@Eccentric 1, thank you.