What happened to customer service?

divernick

I'd just like to share my recent experience with you. I am looking for parts to service my fork and emailed around to get pricing and availability. Is this typical in the industry? Is this acceptable?

Email 1: Me to LBS

"Good morning,

Can you help me with a service kit for a Manitou Six fork?

In particular I need the compression rod part number 85-4921. Apparently this does come as part of the service kit.

Thanks!"

Email 1 reply: LBS to me

"Hey Nicholas

We can get that part for you will cost R125. So let me know!!

Thanks

George (name changed to protect the guilty)"

Email 2: Me to LBS

"Hi George,

Please get me that part and let me know when it will be at your store for collection. Can you also give me a quote on part 85-4810?

Thanks,

Nicholas"

Email 2 reply: LBS to me

"okay

I order both those code's u asked me for. Both parts u looking at R270

Thanks

George"

Email 3: Me to LBS

"Great, thanks. Any idea when you’ll have them?

Nick"

Email 3 reply: LBS to me

"I would have it tomorrow or friday!!"

Email 4: LBS to me

"Hey nicholas

Ur parts have arrived. They hit me with R130 postage so everything will cost u R400. hope thats ok

Thanks george"

Email 4 reply: me to LBS

"Hi George,

That’s not OK I am afraid. You quoted me R270. If the price was R400, I would not have ordered the parts.

Chat to management if you have to, but I won’t pay more than R270.

Regards,

Nick"

Email 5: LBS to me

"yes but i cant help that they charged me postage!!!! the lest that i can do it is at R350 just to cover the postage"

Email 6: Me to LBS

"Hi George,

It’s also not my fault, or my problem, that you were unaware that your supplier would charge you for postage. Surely you have ordered from this supplier before?

Again, I am prepared to pay R270 as quoted. If you can’t sell the parts to me for this price I shall buy them from another shop. Please feel free to have management contact me if you feel that this is necessary.

Regards,

Nick"

Email 7: LBS to me

"My Manager said we will give it to u at R300 or send the parts back.. I have to cover some of my postage"

Now I agree that a more or less suitable compromise has been reached, but this experience still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. We take part in cycling as a sport or hobby, where the entire experience should be pleasurable. We spend much of our disposable income on the sport, it's a luxury. I don't want to struggle and argue....

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

haha so who will be paying the postage when they send the parts back :unsure:

Edited by amoryns

haha so who will be paying the postage when they send the parts back :unsure:

Bwah ha ha :lol: What bike shop was this?

It always amazes me that they want to add postage afterwards. The same when buying a new car. They charge you transport fees even if the car is already on the showroom floor.

BTW, the new consumer protection act states that if you are quoted a price, they may not charge you more unless you agree to it. Who's gonna agree to pay more?

It always amazes me that they want to add postage afterwards. The same when buying a new car. They charge you transport fees even if the car is already on the showroom floor.

BTW, the new consumer protection act states that if you are quoted a price, they may not charge you more unless you agree to it. Who's gonna agree to pay more?

True, but the problem is for such a small amount, most shops will try their luck.

I am pleased that eventually S.Africans are starting to behave like informed consumers and standing their ground, its not right to add postage later when you are quoted a price, its not right to expect you to pay more than quoted - nowhere in the world would this attitude be accepted, why should it be accepted here.

Surely they (The LBS) should have gotten their pricing right before quoting you.

And they should not have gone ahead and ordered the parts without clearing it with you first.

The only refernce to quotations I have seen in the act refer to maintenance and repair jobs. Maybe I missed something?

Will ask Wendy…

It’s also not my fault, or my problem, that you were unaware that your supplier would charge you for postage. Surely you have ordered from this supplier before?

Again, I am prepared to pay R270 as quoted. If you can’t sell the parts to me for this price I shall buy them from another shop.

This pretty much sums it up! You are 100% correct!

I didn't know you were Peter Pan? :blink:

He's Bob the Builder, who, after many years of being considered gay because he never made a move on Wendy in the vids, married her after the series came to an end.

I didn't know you were Peter Pan? :blink:

Chop.

http://sarahandthegoonsquad.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/Bob_the_Builder_wendy_pilcher.jpg

that's me on the left, that's wendy on the right, and that's our blue cat. His name is bloo-cat.

Edited by TNT1

Chop.

http://sarahandthegoonsquad.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/Bob_the_Builder_wendy_pilcher.jpg

that's me on the left, that's wendy on the right, and that's our blue cat. His name is bloo-cat.

Your left or my left?