Sani is expensive!

daryl_tt

I think the problem with that comes in how do you determine who a top guys is and who is a pleb?

The honour system.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the problem with that comes in how do you determine who a top guys is and who is a pleb? What's the cut off? Either way you make people unhappy.

Maybe top 20 teams from each catagory would be your top guys, the rest is where the problems come in.

Maybe top 20 teams from each catagory would be your top guys, the rest is where the problems come in.

I was afraid you would say that, the 21st Mixed team is in about F or G group, there would be a fair few riders in higher groups bleak about that, not shutting you down just saying that it does make it pretty awkward to determine what is meant by "top guys".

I was afraid you would say that, the 21st Mixed team is in about F or G group, there would be a fair few riders in higher groups bleak about that, not shutting you down just saying that it does make it pretty awkward to determine what is meant by "top guys".

So possibly the mixed catagory could have top 5 teams only, woman possibly top 10 teams. I'm not entirely sure, but maybe how you have preformed over a season.

I wonder how the overseas entries are having to deal with this? :unsure:

Well all this ranting and raving you guys have forgotten about the cost of just training for an event like this. If one wants to do well for this event I'm sure that a new drive train or 2 and a set of tyres will be the minimum of what one will use before you've even seen the start line. Let a lone a shock service. So 3-4k just on spares, eina. Then the time it takes to train properly, time off to do the race. Mmmmmm IT COST A **** LOAD!!!!!

Sorry but I'm one of those people that has the legs to do a race like this but in real terms of just pure money it is quite unlikely I'll ever. Training 10-12 hours a week doesn't just happen it takes commitment.

How much would it realy cost if one did your own catering and, yes, camped? R100-R200/ night (did a quick google +-)

And what you eat is up to you.

Ok maybe there should be more stage races self catering but that won't atract the BIG corporates or sponsors. So us little fish are screwed. Maybe when we are all grown up we can do it.

eeeish my bru are you mad ?

I used the same chainring and cluster and chain that I did when I did the desert dash, and then did sani 2 c , this needing new equipment for a race cause you trained the heck out if it is codswolop.

Bought a new set of tyres simply because I had to. Had there still been tread left I would have gone with that.

I think it was completely unfair that people that have done it before used to get preference. The tops guys should obviously get in but then it should be completely random for the rest of the plebs.

Why should the top guys get preference? Sani is the very antithesis of top guys and racing. It's all about the back markers, the water points, the pampering, the awesome scenery, the fast manicured single track.

And as for the people moaning about the cost - stop. Not for a single second do you feel that you are being ripped off at Sani. And to see the impact this race has on the communities that it passes through is worth the the price tag. It's not about what you get, but what sort of difference something as simple as cycling can make to the lives of those less fortunate than us. There just happens to be some fantastic single track along the way and a very nice goodie bag.

Why should the top guys get preference? Sani is the very antithesis of top guys and racing. It's all about the back markers, the water points, the pampering, the awesome scenery, the fast manicured single track.

And as for the people moaning about the cost - stop. Not for a single second do you feel that you are being ripped off at Sani. And to see the impact this race has on the communities that it passes through is worth the the price tag. It's not about what you get, but what sort of difference something as simple as cycling can make to the lives of those less fortunate than us. There just happens to be some fantastic single track along the way and a very nice goodie bag.

I shouldn't have read this thread. I also wondered about the price, thought it was high, but didn't really care as I'm dying to do it. Now after reading this, I just want to do it even more.

:-(

Ratty,do the Joberg2C you get:

3 days of riding in the Free State(if you think the Sani food is good try the free State farmers)

3 Day Berg & Bush

Sani2C all in one :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ratty,do the Joberg2C you get:

3 days of riding in the Free State(if you think the Sani food is good try the free State farmers)

3 Day Berg & Bush

Sani2C all in one :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cejay, if it was possible I would !!! I however have a 3 year old which means not enough time to train for J2C and also my maximum sports pass is 3 days (had to beg and plead for that). Its not fair to leave my son for a whole week just for my enjoyment. For Sani, I can at least bring the family along.

Cejay, if it was possible I would !!! I however have a 3 year old which means not enough time to train for J2C and also my maximum sports pass is 3 days (had to beg and plead for that). Its not fair to leave my son for a whole week just for my enjoyment. For Sani, I can at least bring the family along.

Very true am fortunate not to have any more kids in the house (but not out of the pocket) :lol:

So what would you be all in for then?Also taking into account everything pre-race day as well.

Sani2C 2011 rough costs:

Flights to Durban and back to CT : R1890 per person, including additional 9kg luggage

Shuttle from Durban Int Airport to underberg :R450

Accommodation for 2 nights in Underberg (decided to go up a day early to ensure that I have some downtime before the event and that my bike and luggage makes it there on time) R950 per night = R1900

Accommodation after the event for Friday and Saturday R 500 per person per night = R1000

Having my wife come up on the Friday for the weekend:

Flights: R1750

Car rental for 3 days: R1260

Her share of the accommodation for the weekend: R1000

Total without entry = R9250

There are definately cheaper ways to do this, ie beg for lifts to Underberg, sleep in the hostel, arive the day before the race, fly back the day the event finishes, beg a lift back to Durban Airport, etc, but my philosophy is to start the race rested and relaxed and to rest/relax afterwards if I can. It was great having my wife wait at the finish line too. It means a lot more to accomplish something when people you know are there to celebrate with you.

Very true for the adventure. I did the adventure and loved the prize giving in the evenings (the top teams had to eat donuts and spoungecake to as "punishment" for being so fast.

The race is however a very different animal. The racing is as hard as any other race. You should have seen Evans and George this year after taking a wrong turn on the final stage and losing the race. #Devestated!

It is quite normal for races to have a certain number of entries for the top pro teams in the country. It helps them to sell TV time and raises the bar for the sponsors as well, so ends up being a win-win for us all.