Sani is expensive!

daryl_tt

Ahhh stage racing...

Value for money - *** sleg.

Value for experience - priceless.

For the price of the Epic you can do a 5 star Mauritius trip with no expense spared but you should skip the Mauritian holiday one year and do the Epic. You will not regret it. Same with Sani and Joburg2c.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Going to be my 5th I think next year...One of the best stage races ever!!

Price is so worth it!!

If you have not done it, try your hardest to get an entry cause it is so worth it!!!! :clap:

You take a decision to do a race (Epic / Joberg2C / Sani2C / Wines2Wales / whatever) long in advance. If you were serious about Sani2C you may have started talking to friends about this after this year's race (Perhaps you saw a review on here, some youtube footage, whatever got you excited). If you saved say R800 in May, June, July and August, you would have been 75% there already. The rest you could squeeze out of your credit card and pay off before its time for Christmas shopping.

By the time Sani2C rolls around its long paid for, and the flights and the accommodation in Underberg, and the car hire, and the stay over cost at Scottburgh.

The race entry is about 1/3 of the cost if you have to travel to get to this event. Saying that, there are innovative ways to get around expensive items like travelling and accommodation.

If you really want to do this race, save up for 2013. South Africans forgot what it feels like to save up for things we want.

This year at Sani2C we got:

A Salomon all weather jacket (Retails for R1200 in the shops)

A Salomon light weight jacket (Retails for about R650 in the shops)

An Aca Joe hoodie jacket (guessing its also close to R1000)

Free beverages, snacks, etc throughout the race village

Free recovery shakes from USN

Chocies and biscuits in our Tents at night

A free face towel.

Furthermore Sani2C is planting trees to neutralise our carbon footprint for doing the event. Have you costed an indigenous sapling lately? Planting 3 trees per rider may cost about R1500 in total.

If it wasn't for the fantastic spsonsors, we would have been paying Epic-type prices for the event.

maybe if they dont give away all those jackets they can drop the price so that us non CEO,doctors and business owners can also afford to enter

maybe if they dont give away all those jackets they can drop the price so that us non CEO,doctors and business owners can also afford to enter

Save up - thats what I have to do. I also make it a family affair. My wife flies up for the weekend and we go back on the Monday. She gets away for a mini-break, I get to ride my bike and we both share in the experience. It also helps to have a car and helper waiting at the finishline.

By the time Sani2C rolls around you've already paid for the race and the extra's. Surely you save up to go on holiday? The only time I had to take my wallet out at this year's race was when I had to get a tyre repaired. A Stans top-up cost me R40, and 2 CO2 cartrages were R30. Maybe ask your boss to keep part of your Christmas bonus until end of July, then you'd have the $$$ to enter.

All the Sani2C riders I spoke to preferred the merchandise over a slight discount (remember that these items are sponsored). Cost for the items above is probably 50% or less of retail. Thats the beauty of sponsorship. Its win-win.

Sani2C saved me a trip to the shops to go get winter clothing. Now that could have been expensive if my wife had to take me to the shops.

Well all this ranting and raving you guys have forgotten about the cost of just training for an event like this. If one wants to do well for this event I'm sure that a new drive train or 2 and a set of tyres will be the minimum of what one will use before you've even seen the start line. Let a lone a shock service. So 3-4k just on spares, eina. Then the time it takes to train properly, time off to do the race. Mmmmmm IT COST A **** LOAD!!!!!

Sorry but I'm one of those people that has the legs to do a race like this but in real terms of just pure money it is quite unlikely I'll ever. Training 10-12 hours a week doesn't just happen it takes commitment.

How much would it realy cost if one did your own catering and, yes, camped? R100-R200/ night (did a quick google +-)

And what you eat is up to you.

Ok maybe there should be more stage races self catering but that won't atract the BIG corporates or sponsors. So us little fish are screwed. Maybe when we are all grown up we can do it.

You take a decision to do a race (Epic / Joberg2C / Sani2C / Wines2Wales / whatever) long in advance. If you were serious about Sani2C you may have started talking to friends about this after this year's race (Perhaps you saw a review on here, some youtube footage, whatever got you excited). If you saved say R800 in May, June, July and August, you would have been 75% there already. The rest you could squeeze out of your credit card and pay off before its time for Christmas shopping.

By the time Sani2C rolls around its long paid for, and the flights and the accommodation in Underberg, and the car hire, and the stay over cost at Scottburgh.

The race entry is about 1/3 of the cost if you have to travel to get to this event. Saying that, there are innovative ways to get around expensive items like travelling and accommodation.

If you really want to do this race, save up for 2013. South Africans forgot what it feels like to save up for things we want.

So what would you be all in for then?Also taking into account everything pre-race day as well.

I would love to do Epic, Sani and JOberg and many more, but I can't afford to do them. One guy spoke on TV at Sani and he talks *** because he said, the race is for everyone. I say, it is only for the riches who can afford... people that can borrow from the bank.

fixed.

Well I am on the waiting list for Sani2C - would love to do it, if only for that single track! I think the cost is reasonable all things considered, though the Epic is too much (and don't think I quite want to punish myself that much)

Only other one I done is Lord of the Chain rings in Hogsback, which is very reasonable if you put yourself up. And doing it again this year.

Edited by kosmonooit

in addition - dont forget those nando's burgers at the water points

mmmm, any burger during a cycle race: you probably enjoy the same burger 3 times over before the finish line... :)

Mankele 3 towers = reasonable

wrt to sani...someone mentioned it earlier...you cannot put a price tag on the experience of doing it, dont try and justify it ito what you physically get from it. I wouldn't think twice about dropping the money for an entry and there are a good couple of okes on the same waiting list as me that agrees.

Just a little inside info, some of even the top guys are not even got on the waiting list or guaranteed entries, apparently its a shambles with the entries at the moment( thats coming from the Sani people)

There are gonna be a lot of unhappy people out there, but at the same time some ecstatic people.

Just a little inside info, some of even the top guys are not even got on the waiting list or guaranteed entries, apparently its a shambles with the entries at the moment( thats coming from the Sani people)

There are gonna be a lot of unhappy people out there, but at the same time some ecstatic people.

I think it was completely unfair that people that have done it before used to get preference. The tops guys should obviously get in but then it should be completely random for the rest of the plebs.

I think it was completely unfair that people that have done it before used to get preference. The tops guys should obviously get in but then it should be completely random for the rest of the plebs.

I think the problem with that comes in how do you determine who a top guys is and who is a pleb? What's the cut off? Either way you make people unhappy.