Triathlons Training Ratios

Rolling Thunder

If you want to consider ratios for training times, you could estimate your race finish time(s) and apply your weekly training ratios/hours accordingly so, let's say you're doing full IM:

1h30min swim / 5h30m bike / 4h30min run = 11h30m

13% : 48% : 39% = 100%

2hr swim / 6hr bike / 5hr run = 13hrs

15% : 46% : 38% = 100%

Of course, it also depends on how strong/natural you are at each discipline. I swim like a brick so tried to put a bit more emphasis into swimming but just ended up becoming really good at swimming with a crap style rather than getting a good stroke coach and spending less but quality time in the water...

Good luck with your goals.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Recovery is very NB as Joobs say. Also your age will have an impact as well. Younger guys can do more, more often. Also you build up endurance capacity over many years. So if this is you first year in the sport, be patient.

-- I do not swim at all. Will only start at the end of September. (swiming take 90 minutes, Cycling 6 hours and running 6 hours, see why?)

Interesting approach. From all the advice I've had (as I had the same approach as you), everyone has said you can't win an IM in the swim ,but you can lose it. I.e. if you're not fit enough for the swim, you get out of the water too tired and you pay on the bike and run?

Also beginners have a bad technique and then the swallow (sea) water, making them sick. If you throw up, you're buggered as you will have to "refuel" in the bike.

Agreed Gadget. Thing is when I start my swim training I normally swim 30 strokes per 25M length. When I train I only work on my stroke. After a month or so I swim the same speed, but only 20 strokes per length. In other words less effort for the same result.

I also keep an eye on my heart rate during the swim to make sure I dont over.....

I just dont see the justification in training hard for the swim for like 15 minutes or so?

Dit is in elkgeval baie lekker om verby al die vinnige swemmers te ry met die fiets........

Gentleman,

If I may ask a question, where to practice swimming.

Along a road? :lol:

Seriously, in water like a pool or dam might be a good idea! :P

I first did full IM 4 years agao and did 8-9 sessions per week, including 1 brick each weekend. this year I did IM again, but only did 5 sessions a week also including a brick (or triathlon) on the weekend and did 2 hours better.

Point being that quality is far more important than quanitity especially for an amateur with a job, wife, social life and other interests. trying to do 9 sessiosn a week and work 8+ hours a day, you will not recover and will not get the results.

Train smarter, not harder.

make sure you can get through teh swim comfortably, but donlt spend hours a week tryin to save 5 moins on the swim, rather spend more time training the bike or run.

Cheers

Agreed Gadget. Thing is when I start my swim training I normally swim 30 strokes per 25M length. When I train I only work on my stroke. After a month or so I swim the same speed, but only 20 strokes per length. In other words less effort for the same result.

Why don't you incorporate a speed session once a week in your swim, you'll be surprised how effective it is. And it doesn't have to be anything too crazy, just 4x50's with about 20sec recovery between each one.

I don't agree with "open water" swims in either a lake or ocean being harder. I swim 22.5 minutes / km in a pool. With both IM and IM70.3 this year, I managed about under 19 mins / km, despite what some said was "bad conditions" at 70.3.

Also from my mid-fielder's experience, swimming is not much of a fitness issue, but rather a conditioning one. I only did 5 swims over 2km for IM and my swim was very easy and enjoyable compared to the rest.

Buy Joe Friel's book Triathlete's Bible, struggle thru the first 3 chapters of stuff he could have said in 10 pages but is nb to understand then do the tests and determine what discipline/s you need to focus on and what type of training. Each one of us is different and going by what others do is not what you need to do.

I did my first IM this year and began tri's last year an am also fairly new to the sport. With swimming, frequency of training is important as a novice as learning the correct technique takes time. Aim for more, even if shorter, swim sessions and split your run cycle up into one long, two tempo sessions per week for each discipline. I managed to swim four or five times a week, most of my sessions were 1km session during lunch with one longer/open water session where possible.

It should be noted that my aim was to complete rather than compete.