Read this if you take anti-histamins

My wake-up resting HR is usually around 63. After a good ride the next day it will be plus 5.

I took an anti-histamine (gen 2) on last Thurs and Fri evening. On Sat I did the Vori Berg 30 km. Before the race the morning I measured my HR and it was 75! More than 10 up on the usual.

I did the race but my HR was high all the time, the legs could go but the heart not. My usual average HR of 145 in a 30 km stretch was replaced with 160.

I had an OK finishing time but far from great and my expectations (middle of the pack).

I suspected that the anti-histamine was the culprit. I waited Sunday->Tue for my HR to drop to 64 again, and then took an anti-histamine in the evening again as a test. The next morning my HR was back to 72!

So the bottom line is that anti-histamines - even generation 2 - can increase your HR. If you take them do the test to see if it affects your HR.

Does 'artificially' increased HR affect your performance? In my opinion - yes and by a big margin.

What a relief, I thought someone was going to say that AH are the pills of satan or something 'orrible...

@RL, it's quite possible i suppose although years ago my Doc told me that they wont negativley affect sports performance BUT also said that not everyone reacts the same so I should tell him if I suspect there are any adverse reactions....

I would like you to experiment some more, wasn't it a full moon this weekend?

Pretty much all antihistamines also have anticholinergic effects (which is what's causing your tachycardia). The latest ones have less of an anticholinergic effect but it hasn't been engineered out totally yet. On the SA market desloratidine (Clarinex) is your best bet for having the least anticholinergic side effects. Unfortunately most of the alternative decongestants to antihistamines will also raise your heart rate. May I suggest little balls of toilet paper stuffed up your nostrils?

But I like the drugs that make me heart rev a litter higher. Makes me ride faster. I'm kinda like a two stroke that way.

So, um, tell what antihistamine you took?

Loratadine. That's the staple of most over the counter 'non-drowsy' anti histamines.

Next experiment is Creatine, then VO2 max, then the cuppa before the ride

Pretty much all antihistamines also have anticholinergic effects (which is what's causing your tachycardia). The latest ones have less of an anticholinergic effect but it hasn't been engineered out totally yet. On the SA market desloratidine (Clarinex) is your best bet for having the least anticholinergic side effects. Unfortunately most of the alternative decongestants to antihistamines will also raise your heart rate. May I suggest little balls of toilet paper stuffed up your nostrils?

I'm on 3rd gen AH (Fexo180) and did notice that I could not take my medication shortly before cardio-busting exercise but had to either take it before (the previous night) or afterwards.

Now the advantage of using chronic is that it lasts for 24hrs - it reaches max effect at 6hours.

I will add that not taking AH for someone like me in my area effects my ability to exercise more.

I have been taking anti histamines almost every day for many years now. I am currently taking Deselex (Desloratadine), find this works the best for me, and can even take it every second day.

I have not noticed any side affects (even from the first generation formulations), but been taking for so long now that this may be my "new normal". Will try not taking this for 2 days before my ride and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks for this post!! :clap: I thought there was something wrong with my heart or something prior to reading this post. I would go from being reasonably strong and fit to being completely weak and I never knew what caused it, it also lead me to become very frustrated!

I've been using AH for the last 2 years but recently tried stopping it which worked fine until I went up to knysna to do the MTB race. I was then forced to use the AH and I had the worst possible race and the week prior to that I was super strong. This happened again in my training ride yesterday where I just couldn't get my heartrate down and it was also the first day that I used the AH again...

has anyone of you tried the natural alternatives that's sold at health shops and dischem?

has anyone of you tried the natural alternatives that's sold at health shops and dischem?

Yip. I have. Well sort of. My swami at Sohum fixed me up.