Cape Epic training

Newboy

Hi guys, I've read all your post cause I'm doing the epic for the 1st time as well, been training indoors for the whole of 2011, 10+ hours a week( 3 arm breaks-frustrated ) and my coach is planning BIG weeks over december/january, my partner and I are looking to race it hard and wants to be prepared for the toughness of it!! Glad I read the experienced epic rider's post, know that 20+hour weeks aren't necessary..thanks guys!! Good luck for the training and see you there :-)

Hi guys, I've read all your post cause I'm doing the epic for the 1st time as well, been training indoors for the whole of 2011, 10+ hours a week( 3 arm breaks-frustrated ) and my coach is planning BIG weeks over december/january, my partner and I are looking to race it hard and wants to be prepared for the toughness of it!! Glad I read the experienced epic rider's post, know that 20+hour weeks aren't necessary..thanks guys!! Good luck for the training and see you there :-)

Training indoors is no good it just helps through winter

You need to get out on your bike and do lots of base and then lots of climbing and then lots of back to back days

You need to do a few back to back 5-7 Hour rides as well as that is at least how long you will be out there most days

Dont worry about the profile ride from one water point to the next and break it up makes it much easier mentally.

I have been riding since 2009... yes I am new to mountain biking rolleyes.gif

I finished this years Epic in the middle of the field. I relied on the Polar ABSA Cape Epic Survival Planner for my preparation

In a nutshell I followed the 16 week program peaking for Sabie X, two week break over Xmas, then started 12 week program in January peaking for Epic

ABSA Cape Epic Survival Planner

I agree with Brussel.

I have done 4, and the last 1 I did (this year), i had my best result, only finding out 3 weeks before the race that I was riding. My mind was fresh as too was the body, and I was excited for the ride and enjoyed the route that Dr Evil took us on. Those who do not complete the race, it is largely because of overtraining and a tired mind, rather then undertraining. I dont recon you need anything more than 12 hours of quality riding per week. not need for too much intensity. 3 - 4 hours on the weekend with perhaps a longer 5 hour in Jan. peak in Feb and then relax with some shorter intense stuff in March.

you can really over think this whole thing. while an investment in time is required in the saddle, us humans are pretty resilient characters.

Just rememeber, MTB is supposed to be fun, if you are not having fun, you are missing the point.

Just rememeber, MTB is supposed to be fun, if you are not having fun, you are missing the point.

Amen. :thumbup:

One thing about next years Epic, is that they are making it tougher... Heard talk about the stage to Oak Valley over Groenland can have as much as 3000m climbing in the first 50-100km and that the last day into Lourensford will take a detour over some of the hills in Schapenberg - just to make life interesting!

Therefore now is the time for lots of base / endurance training.

Where did you hear this? Holy moley...

Where did you hear this? Holy moley...

Yip, they want us to earn that medal! Came from someone that is involved with the route for next year.

as you can see many ways to aproach it and all will work. look at yourself and see were your weaknesess are what sort of programme will fit your temperament etc and STICK to it and BELIEVE in it and you should be fine.

2 things that are important that i didnt see mentioned here:

- get your body strong as it will take a hammering push-ups sit-ups etc

- during the race week eat ALL the time you wont always feel like it and might have to force it

I have been fortunate enough to get a Epic entry.

Some background:

I have been cycling for many years, I have done 4 Sani2C races with my Epic partner and we ride very well together.

I am riding currently but not a lot. I run or go to gym 6 days a week.

I have trained for and completed IM twice so I know how to put in many hours a week.

My question is this:

1. how much training a week for Epic?

2. When do I hit peak training?

3. Should I invest (paid for plan) in a training plan specific for Epic?

Thanks

The Epic requires a substantial investment viewed from every perspective! Make sure you get it right and in so doing optimize your investment! To the guys that have completed the Epic successfully, well done, but that does not mean that what worked for you will work for the next guy as there are too many variables that need to align to ensure success. Get professional guidance on your conditioning and nutrition and make sure you do the right thing right - manage the variables you can properly!

You seem to be a very profound sport scientist that base your advice on your extensive personal experience - wish I can get to know you ...

do you have many clients?

to be honest, I cant imagine a successful cyclist being told to manage his variables and shift his paradigms.

do you have many clients?

to be honest, I cant imagine a successful cyclist being told to manage his variables and shift his paradigms.

Initially I contemplated ignoring your question, however the "proof of the pudding is in the eating" ...

I have around 50 multi-sport athletes that range from pro athletes, Springboks, mountain bike category winners in the Epic, duathletes, adventure racers, athletes preparing for the 2016 Olympics, a few that aim to achieve personal bests and also a few that focus on maintaining their active lifestyles. I have a substantial number of testimonials and to date I can claim that ALL my athletes have achieved their goals or are in the process of doing that ...

My background in Sport Science and further studies in Industrial Psychology serves me well and as I am a competitive participant myself, my academic background is supported by practical experience accumulated over 30 years (not 1 year 30x :-)).

Omdat sportprestasie, al is dit slegs daarop gefokus om persoonlike doelwitte te bereik, veel meer as net fisieke kondissionering behels is dit krities vir enige atleet om te verstaan waar die vlak van prestasie wat hy wil bereik in die groter prentjie van sy lewe inpas. Dis die sogenaamde "mind coaching".