Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

I also had a couple of chops doing the same this week. They race past you and then just cut you off.

The last guy yesterday evening did that to me, I was about to flip as I realised this chop lives diagonally across from me and when I saw that someone had caused a mother of dent and damage to his rear tail light area I figured he has gotten what he deserves for driving like a chop.

If he does it again though I will have to know on his door.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I sure hope one of those drivers don't bring a gun to your knife fight!

I hope so too - it's gonna end bloody. Lesson 1 was you don't produce it if you're not gonna use it.

Some times we just got to ignore these morons. Some one once told me if you stoop down to the level of an idiot they will beat you every time with experience. ????????????

Yesterday morning I had a lekker experience. The South Easter was pumping, which means a head wind into town for me. A roadie came passed and I was able to slip him. The guy kept a decent pace and didn't mind me slipping him. Was real friendly and made my ride a lot easier. :thumbup:

What the hell is going on the last week? yesterday afternoon, and this morning, people tried to left-hook me. I ended up in a shouting match with the idiot yesterday, until his son jumped out of his Land Cruiser and tried to slap me. I put stop to that, and went home. This morning, another bloody white bakkie brigade member did the same thing - storms past me, only to cut right in front of me into a driveway - me doing 28ish km/h, fooking far left of the road. Had a 'nicer' altercation - just told the 'lady' that I hope she has a really blessed day.

After it happens to you enough times, you realize it's an aspect of commuting that just as to be accepted. Drivers feel they are more entitled to their place on the road than a cyclist, and so more entitled to arrive at their destination quickly than a cyclist (you're on a bicycle after all, what's your hurry?).

It's not a conscious assumption, it's so implicit that I doubt any driver questions it - but then I think any car driver naturally considers themselves more entitled to be ahead of ANY slow moving vehicle they encounter - bicycle, bus or otherwise.

Add that with the fact that many drivers are not very observant in the first place, and the old overtake-and-then-turn-left-10m-down-the-road scene becomes almost inevitable.

For some time now, whenever someone overtakes me on a suburban road I'm eyeing their indicators, brake lights and front wheels for any sign of a left turn. I'd say on at least a couple of occasions this has saved me from contact - and because I've expected it, I feel slightly satisfied - rather than wanting to pull the drivers out the window and beat them senseless. I hated driving and quit it because it made me angry too much - I don't want those negative feelings on a bicycle.

Having read it now tho, the pepper spray idea seems awfully attractive...

Edited by 2wheelsgood

2Wheels, exactly why I started cycling as well - to get away from the aggro of being in a car, surrounded by cars. the last two/three weeks have been one moeroffa challenge however. Will force myself back into the chilled headspace :)

to get back to the topic , i have learnt , dont forget your raincoat !!!!

Im gonna get wet today !

to get back to the topic , i have learnt , dont forget your raincoat !!!!

Im gonna get wet today !

You're not the alone - pissing in Hatfield at the moment, the missus wants to come pick me up .... lol .... in her i10.

Another thing lurnt: Spalding should really stick to making golf clubs.

Did you hit the curb? That's nasty did you make it to you destination? ????

LOL Kona, no, the chain 'protector'chewed the chain - it jumped over the last chainring and got sucked in real bad. Took me ten minutes to pry it out there (whole setup is peened together, no bolts to loosen :eek: ) Bike's slowly falling to pieces after 4 months / 1500km's.

For some reason the cycle lanes seem quieter after this weekend?;-)

Every year after the world fun ride champs it turns quite out there for a week or two.

At least those using the path now greet, unlike those professional amateurs who were pushing hard in their build up to the ride and were too focuses to greet.