Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

That the winter in Cape Town is only over while the Southeaster blows. Man, did I get wet this morning!

I thought about riding this morning, and took the decision the car was a better option.

@ Hairy, nice to have finally met you the other day, If you are riding this evening I will join you again, and then hook up with another mate for a ride after.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two options:

1) dont turn right with the cars, carry on straight and stop on the other side next to the robot. Turn bike towards where you want to go, head straight when green. (Safe option)

2) "Line of sight" ride in the middle lane and push ahead of the cars at the robot. Make your intention clear that you are crossing. (not so safe)

Hey guys, I've been commuting to gym and back on my singlespeed. (This is only about 5km one way, depending on my route home it might even be 15 on some days and the shortest route possible is 950km on leg day).

But here's my question: How do you go through a double lane Traffic circle if you want to exit at the "2nd exit", so basically making a right turn? I sat waiting for the cars to give me a chance for a minute or so then just fell in behind a car and sprinted my A$$ off to not get run over by the rest.

I tried keeping to the road rules but clearly the cars didn't feel like giving me my piece of the road. So what is the correct way to hand this situation?

Take the lane (ie ride so that cars cannot pass you) or do as you did and use a car as cover. I do a combination of both, but yeah big traffic circles are a nightmare.

Take the lane (ie ride so that cars cannot pass you) or do as you did and use a car as cover. I do a combination of both, but yeah big traffic circles are a nightmare.

Agreed, but not because they are inherently dangerous, they work very efficiently. The problem is that a lot of motorists don't know how to negotiate them, don't indicate, use the wrong lane, don't know who should go first.......it is too much for their brains to cope with all at the same time........and to register you on your bicycle thrown into the mix! That's why they look you straight in the eye and drive right over you. The point being that you should make yourself very visible, occupy the lane you need, signal what you are going to do, and do it decisively and predictably. And still expect idiotic moves from each and every driver while planning for where you are going to bail if needed. Watch Premium Rush to get an idea of how forward planning should be done when riding in heavy traffic. (OK, it's just a nice movie.)

The problem is motorists

Jip, agreed :D

99% of my close calls have been because drivers are not paying attention or don't signal. I've developed my own 'Wily-spider-sense' on the road ... I commute a lot :)

New thing learned today: it is damn near impossible to try and do a 'planned workout' whilst commuting. I'm trying a new race week taper (every little bit helps) and today was low intensity intervals (30 minutes zone 2, 6 minutes zone 4, 5 minutes zone 2 etc) and it's jut not possible to regulate your heartbeat whilst dodging cars and stopping at traffic lights.

That the winter in Cape Town is only over while the Southeaster blows. Man, did I get wet this morning!

I'm sure not as wet as i got yesterday late afternoon. Even my frame had water in it...

I thought about riding this morning, and took the decision the car was a better option.

@ Hairy, nice to have finally met you the other day, If you are riding this evening I will join you again, and then hook up with another mate for a ride after.

Had a bad night last night, so no commuting for me today ..... damned ... I am getting soft!

Had a bad night last night, so no commuting for me today ..... damned ... I am getting soft!

Sorry to hear, I trust all is well though?

I'm sure not as wet as i got yesterday late afternoon. Even my frame had water in it...

Well, I learnt today that when you are already wet, you can get even wetter, wetter! I got soaked going to work this morning. Despite hanging it to dry, my riding kit was still half wet when I had to put it back on this afternoon to ride home. That was really horrible, and then it poured once again so I was drenched for the 2nd time today.

what knew did i learn, punctures SUCK balls. Especially if you dont have spare tubes, or repair kit with you.(my bad i know, well lesson learned)

If it rains anywhere in the Cape, then it rains in NEWLANDS (5th rainy ride in a row this morning)

If it rains anywhere in the Cape, then it rains in NEWLANDS (5th rainy ride in a row this morning)

Was rather pleasant out Milnerton this morning, I did think of you while riding this AM.

WE missed the rain this morning and had a flipping awesome coffee and pastry from a rather great little cafe that has recently opened in town.

WE missed the rain this morning and had a flipping awesome coffee and pastry from a rather great little cafe that has recently opened in town.

Hi Hairy. Can you let me have their name and location? I enjoy trying out new places.