GoPro's banned by UCI?

bradwentzel

All I could find on the interwebs http://www.uci.ch/te...MTkzNg&LangId=1

UCI CYCLING REGULATIONS

Clothing and protective accessories

4.3.014 Helmet cameras are not permitted during qualifying rounds and finals. The riders are responsible for

securing the fixation of the helmet cameras in order to avoid any danger. The UCI can decide to

allow a helmet camera during finals but only for the usage of the TV production company. Metal/permanent

fixtures to attach the helmet cameras are not allowed, tape and velcro are allowed.

lol i like the oxymoronic statements, you need to mount camera safley without using secure mechanisms and have to opt for mechanisms known to fail like velcro and tape.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it could also be that they are concerned it is feeding live feed back to rival teams ??

lol not unless they carry a 20kg transmitter and have a relay chopper close at hand.

Im currently here at the UCI Champery world champs.

nearly EVERYONE rides with them.

Another story like carbon frames can give you cancer

I've seen plenty riders veer all over the track from fiddling with cycle computers/hrm/gps/power meters and also had a couple stop suddenly from them flying off the handlebars, should we not petition the banning of these as well..... they are non essential after all.

Computers give you valuable info like how far you've gone and time so you can plan your hydration/energy regimine (ooh big word). HRM's/Power meters potentially useful info for race strategy.

Cameras take pretty pictures - no useful info.

Ultimately stupid humans cause accidents - I don't see why we should add vanity in the form of cameras to the mix.

Got a message from GoPro guy Dewald de Jager

"A lot of speculation going around helmet mounting. We have an ongoing relationship with Epic so we will get closure..."

Seems like they are still working on having them for Epic, but most races on Sat/Sun could be a problem.

Can we use if for Nissan this weekend?

Damnit. Street cred out window.

My bad.

Problem is I've seen enough muppets that can't control their bikes with two hands let alone one above their head trying to press "play".

Hell - at Eqstra I saw some nubbin in MTN kit try and pass a backmarker on some sketchy single track and ended up taking both of them out. People are crazy!

I see these type of comments a lot....a do_s wearing some corporate kit and then people just have to go mention who the corporate was....like some association or something. So it seems that most people think that the wearer of the clothes means association with that corporate. I don't quite get it but if that is really the case can someone from Cell C please send me some kit... :whistling:

What cheesed me off about this debacle is that if you dont allow it, then advertise it, and make sure its confirmed on registration, dont wait till someone pitches on raceday and then tell them nope.

Hell if we want to start banning superfluous items, they might as well ban 29" wheels.

I see these type of comments a lot....a do_s wearing some corporate kit and then people just have to go mention who the corporate was....like some association or something. So it seems that most people think that the wearer of the clothes means association with that corporate. I don't quite get it but if that is really the case can someone from Cell C please send me some kit... :whistling:

No association implied - the MTN blue/yellow kit is just easy to remember. If it was Harry's Anal Lube Company kit I would have described it as such.

Try Cell C - you'd be surprised how easy it is to get kit sponsored!

Just read through all the safety sections of the UCI rules pertaining to MTB.

The following applies to all riders;

4.1.038 The use of radio links or other remote means of communication with riders is forbidden.

4.1.039 The use of tyres fitted with metal spikes or screws is not permitted.

For DH only;

4.3.011 All lycra-elastane based tight-fitting clothing is not permitted.

4.3.014 Helmet cameras are not permitted during qualifying rounds and finals. The riders are responsible for

securing the fixation of the helmet cameras in order to avoid any danger. The UCI can decide to

allow a helmet camera during finals but only for the usage of the TV production company. Metal/permanent

fixtures to attach the helmet cameras are not allowed, tape and velcro are allowed.

There is no release on the UCI website regarding the outright ban on cameras in any way or any amendments in the rules since 01/07/11. So unless it is a rule of the event organiser for which you as a rider have signed acceptance, no one can legally stop you from riding with a camera in any event apart from DH related events.

No association implied - the MTN blue/yellow kit is just easy to remember. If it was Harry's Anal Lube Company kit I would have described it as such.

Try Cell C - you'd be surprised how easy it is to get kit sponsored!

Ag on second thoughts no - Im already a bit too slow and cant afford to go down to 'wooosshhh' speeds

Have just spoken with a UCI commisaire that serves internationally and the situation at present is as follows;

1. the UCI rule pertaining to DH and the use of HELMET mounted cameras has been extended to all MTB disciplines for safety reasons, however does NOT apply to bike or chest mounted cameras.

2. certain events will be implementing bans on the use of cameras at the behest of landowners that are allowing them to use their land, pretty much for the same stated reasons that caused the GPS ban at Epic.

So in a nutshell;

No one can force you to remove a bike/body mounted camera at any race in SA unless the use of video cameras is expressly outlawed in the event rule that you as participant have signed acceptance of.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

Computers give you valuable info like how far you've gone and time so you can plan your hydration/energy regimine (ooh big word). HRM's/Power meters potentially useful info for race strategy.

Cameras take pretty pictures - no useful info.

Ultimately stupid humans cause accidents - I don't see why we should add vanity in the form of cameras to the mix.

I beg to differ - World Cup DH racers are making use of the video footage now to review the track. I mean if the guys can eek out a 100th of a second over their rival then why not? Just seeing the way Gwin has run away with it this year, riders must be keen to try anything that this point... :blink:

That being said, this ban must really tick those riders off that make use of the footage for race reviews.

How ironic though, last season UCI wanted to make helmet cam's compulsory to all top 10 DH riders for TV coverage (which could be a really good thing for advertising, and really crap for the ride if you not keen to ride one) and the like....how the tables turn.

Edited by MoreTrails

At the Gravel Travel this weekend at riders breifing it was mentioned that no gopro's were allowed......

I was also at the ride on Sunday and was very surprised to hear them announce that helmet cams were not allowed! It seems that this isn't a new rule but just hasn't been fully enforced since it was announced in 2009. It seems to be up to the discretion of the event organizers rather then a steadfast rule.

Personally I reckon the cameras help to promote the events and the sport. How awesome is it for an event that people can go post in-action photos and videos on facebook to show off to their mates - this is terrific viral marketing for the events.

I do agree though that playing with your camera during a race can cause you to loose focus but then there are cameras available which can run the length of an event or other cameras which can be operated by a remote on your wrist or handlebar.

There's more info on this at the blog - http://actioncameras.blogspot.com/

I am sure the camera guys will bring out a camera soon that looks exactly like a light... the rider can then say that it is for safety. Can even have a small LED that flashes to look legit. an idea for the guys who HAVE to ride with a camera!