Bigger rotors and stopping power

banna

The above is for 30mm stanchions, it may be a completely different kettle of fish with the newer 32mm stanchions.

I'll concede the point that rotor size will increase the pulling force out of the fork, but as Cptmayham said, it is a liability thing. Normal QR will be fine if used correctly.

32mm stanchions makes no difference...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No guessing... It's an engineering / mechanical force standard.

BUT - I've just done it now to prove it to myself once & for all, and the wheel popped 10" out of the QR seat. Loosened the QR all the way, so that the cams cleared the lawyers tabs.

That means if a QR fails, maybe due to the "scissors" action or uneven flex of the stanchions, and pops out completely one may expect a verrrry sh!tty taste in the mouth?

That means if a QR fails, maybe due to the "scissors" action or uneven flex of the stanchions, and pops out completely one may expect a verrrry sh!tty taste in the mouth?

Yep!

Videographic proof - please excuse the quality...

nice illustration of the principle cptmayhem.

Think I'll stick with thru axles :lol:

And lucky for Mr Banna, he's running a 20mm thru on thatFox 36. So rotor up Banna!

nice illustration of the principle cptmayhem.

Think I'll stick with thru axles :lol:

And lucky for Mr Banna, he's running a 20mm thru on thatFox 36. So rotor up Banna!

Phew! But my XC bike is normal QR. Dammit. Will just have to... er... not brake.

Remember, that was a totally uniwue situation, the likes of which you will never find whilst riding.

We all have forks with lawyers tabs. We all tighten our QR's properly. Therefore, it won't happen...

Unless you don't tighten your QR at all. In which case, you kinda deserve that faceplant...

hahaha nice vid dude, but you've hit the nail on the head there: totally unusual situation.

as for braking in mid-air, go hang your bike on a rack, but loose, crank rear wheel or handspin front wheel, and apply either brake. Decide right then and there if you'll EVER white knuckle your brakes mid-air. :thumbup:

Remember, that was a totally uniwue situation, the likes of which you will never find whilst riding.

We all have forks with lawyers tabs. We all tighten our QR's properly. Therefore, it won't happen...

Unless you don't tighten your QR at all. In which case, you kinda deserve that faceplant...

O ja, also add, if the QR does not fail structurally like the one on our road tandem failed.

hahaha nice vid dude, but you've hit the nail on the head there: totally unusual situation.

as for braking in mid-air, go hang your bike on a rack, but loose, crank rear wheel or handspin front wheel, and apply either brake. Decide right then and there if you'll EVER white knuckle your brakes mid-air. :thumbup:

I thought somebody said there are no forces on the disk. If the axle goes back where are the force that expells the wheel transferred to?

no one said that. but feel free to quote.

u a civ eng right? if yay, surely u must understand the concepts of torque and moments of inertia.

no one said that. but feel free to quote.

u a civ eng right? if yay, surely u must understand the concepts of torque and moments of inertia.

I cannot lay claim to being a Civil Engineer, I am a Civil Engineering Technologist

i am not sure about anyone else here, but when i pull my brakes really hard, i tend to skid no matter what the size of my disc. So most of the time I apply just the right amount of pressure to stop in time.