What a World Champs XCO course SHOULD look like

nigelhicks

Popular spot for spectators, shade, sun and fun....

post-182-0-80726200-1314815424.jpg

And the famous ski jump

post-182-0-60578900-1314815482.jpg

Burry negotiating the UCI built in chicane before the ski jump

post-182-0-97686700-1314815641.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the final result may well go to the most technically advanced rider.

Schurter must be the favourite...

Home ground, technically awesome.

Kulhavy on the other hand is just pure strength.

(not that he isn't technically skilled.)

And for the gravity fans a long distance view of the DH course (2010)

Looking up from the bottom, the DH course criss crossed the chair lift path

post-182-0-69596800-1314817518.jpg

post-182-0-76923600-1314817581.jpg

From the start gate (start was just to the left of the small white tent)

post-182-0-62145900-1314817606.jpg

View down from the chair lift

post-182-0-64247100-1314817658.jpg

Edited by SwissVan

Agreed entriely - the district road and xc in sa is designed for Mr. Joe Average weekend rider.

Have you done any of the MTN XC courses? I loved them - technical, te and fast - awesome.

My distinction is:

XC should make you go WHEEEEEEEEE!

DH should make you go SHEEEEEEEET!

Like I said before if you wonder if your bike will make the XC course then the course designers are doing something wrong.

Likewise if you have DHers going "thats cool" then the course designers are doing something wrong.

XC should demand lungs and skill not brass balls - thats not what its all about.

You guys are talking about two different XC disciplines altogether. XCM and XCO.

Theres an XCO series here, but it's not properly supported. By both out national body and the riders.

Mind you, when Fritz and co ran the National XCO series it was in a far healthier state than it is currently, that's another discussion on it's own though.

You guys are talking about two different XC disciplines altogether. XCM and XCO.

Theres an XCO series here, but it's not properly supported. By both out national body and the riders.

Mind you, when Fritz and co ran the National XCO series it was in a far healthier state than it is currently, that's another discussion on it's own though.

The XCO series in 2010 was awesome - Mankele was by far my favourite - PMB was good fun (no rock garden in 2010 though), George was interesting with a wickedly fast back section, Fountains was all hairpins and drop offs as usual. I think the organisers got the technicality just right - challenging but doable by us full time employed.

Perhaps Swissy is right - world champs should be more challenging and the guys doing it have time to check the course up front and the time to ensure they have the skills to ride technical. Maybe provincial level = challenging, national = very challenging, international = extremely challenging and world champs = scrotum tightening?

XCM is fun but it's effectivaly road riding with some intermediate single track thrown in for variety. Thats said - the wet slick rock in Clarens had me wondering if I should have packed a space blanket so I could survive the night at the bottom of the ravine!!!

Ultimately there is something for everybody - Mr. Joe Average should survive most XCM, got a bit more skill? Try XCO. Have the need for speed? DH for you. Like speed and rubbing elbows in the air? 4X is your game. I guess mtb caters for all folk!

Bingo :clap:

Ah - I forgot to mention - thanks for the photos swiss - I really enjoyed the pictorial adventure.

I hate you :D