What a World Champs XCO course SHOULD look like

nigelhicks

Hey it is mountain biking after all. A bit of skill should count for something. I dont mean 6 foot drops to flat but if a rider can gain time by riding a section that others are walking down then that seems the right way to go. Its not road cycling after all. . .

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess you need to draw the line somewhere - for me it's air. DH should have it - XC should probably not. Normal drop offs can be ridden relatively safely by rolling slowly over the edge - gap drops/jumps require speed. Personally I think it detracts from XC - maybe it's just me but the adrenalin in XC comes from bumping elbows, trying to over take riders to get into the next single track section first, 90 minutes of flat out racing.

Fireroads = fast but low risk.

Rock gardens - slow but medium/high risk.

Gaps = fast and high risk - one step too far I reckon.

If XC is going to become an adrenalin sport why not just do away with DH entirely and leave XC and 4x?

World mtb already has 4x and DH as extreme sports - why remove a portion of the xc racers by making it too technical? It's not in the spirit of xc.

All my opinions of course :D

This particular jump ( i prefer to call it a ski jump but what the hell....)

requires BB's and is mostly in the mind....

I dont mind if you try it...

The difference with XC and DH is that you have a whole train of guys following each other over it if one guy falls...

Check this U tube link about 20 seconds and 5'50 in shows the jump

Edited by SwissVan

Guest Omega Man

World mtb already has 4x and DH as extreme sports - why remove a portion of the xc racers by making it too technical? It's not in the spirit of xc.

All my opinions of course :D

Edit: if the question needs to be asked if an XC bike can handle it then it's too technical! Horses for courses...

I agree with you. Sort of. You need to remember tho that the district road xc racing that we are used to here isn't real xc racing and I also think that if the rider has the onions to make up 5 seconds by hitting a sender like that then good luck to him/her.

Remember. It's worlds. You got to work for them rainbows.

I agree with you. Sort of. You need to remember tho that the district road xc racing that we are used to here isn't real xc racing and I also think that if the rider has the onions to make up 5 seconds by hitting a sender like that then good luck to him/her.

Remember. It's worlds. You got to work for them rainbows.

Agreed entriely - the district road and xc in sa is designed for Mr. Joe Average weekend rider.

Have you done any of the MTN XC courses? I loved them - technical, te and fast - awesome.

My distinction is:

XC should make you go WHEEEEEEEEE!

DH should make you go SHEEEEEEEET!

Like I said before if you wonder if your bike will make the XC course then the course designers are doing something wrong.

Likewise if you have DHers going "thats cool" then the course designers are doing something wrong.

XC should demand lungs and skill not brass balls - thats not what its all about.

Guest Omega Man

Like I said before if you wonder if your bike will make the XC course then the course designers are doing something wrong.

Likewise if you have DHers going "thats cool" then the course designers are doing something wrong.

Very well put.

The difference with XC and DH is that you have a whole train of guys following each other over it if one guy falls...

Check this U tube link about 20 seconds and 5'50 in shows the jump

Hmmmm - the gap isn't that bad.

Gooo Burry :D

I still don't think it should be in a XC course though.

XC should make you go WHEEEEEEEEE!

DH should make you go SHEEEEEEEET!

interesting...so where would you place our "official" XC course at cascades in that distinction - most of it makes me go WHEEEEEE but two of the rock gardens dont even make me go SHEEEEEEET, they make me go WHOOOAAA!!

Watching that video .. the drop isnt bad at all!! The forst dude tosses it cus hes not clipped in when he tries to send it - look at how smooth the Specialized boys hit it ... its similar to some of the steps we had in our course this year at the amphitheatre ... just a bit bigger ...

Id say its fine for XC ... rewards ballsy riding! and shows who has overall MTB talent (remember that Burry was a previous DH national champ before he went to XC) - so they should be able to handle stuff like this at World level

I found this on FB ... this is ONE of the lines on the Worlds XC course this weekend in Champery Switzerland ...

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

NOW we are talking ... wonder if any of the XCO guys will be running dropper posts to make the descents easier?

INSANE :w00t:

You have no doubt experienced the phenomena were TV or photo's make hills look less steep etc...?

Trust me this particular case is a real good example of such.

Standing there last year watching it and even now thinking about it I get goose bumps ........ big cold ones.

It definetly would not be fitting on a regional or lower level type of XC course, but is well suited for a World Champs level.

I'm glad they're putting stuff like this into XC courses, especially World Champs level courses, it's not balls that are required for that, it's just plain old fashioned skill with a dash of momentum.

Also remember that none of the guys are riding this blind, they've got a few days to hang about and practice this section so that come race day the line is dialled.

Here's a collection photos of "The Hell Zone" from last years event

Side view of the downhill portion, the uphill climb to the hell zone entry was just as steep but jeep track

post-182-0-02497300-1314814493.jpg

The climb up

post-182-0-32334000-1314814584.jpg

Name the Saffa on bike # 169??

post-182-0-73474600-1314814635.jpg

post-182-0-68852700-1314814548.jpg

Edited by SwissVan

Saffa # 169 entering the hell zone

post-182-0-12359600-1314815080.jpg

This corner halfway down got a bit crowded on the first few laps

post-182-0-95724400-1314815142.jpg

Looks much better then the tarred course of the Olympics next year.

http://www.bikerumor.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/2012-london-olympic-mountain-bike-course-hadleigh-park.jpg

http://cdn2.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net/2011/03/23/2/photo4_600.jpg

http://www.bicycling.co.za/files/touchline/bicycling/imagecache/node_preview/node-files/22/article/2012MTBOlympicCourse.jpg

This really looks stupid.